Internet Cost

newcruiser,2012

We are going on our first cruise on the Crown Princess in 2 weeks, I am a little confused over the internet access....I am bringing my computer...do I have to pay for internet service or can I get free wifi and 2. if I have to pay for the internet does anyone know the cost or where I can find out on the Princess Website?

Thanks for your help

You have to pay for wifi on the ship. The cost is $3.95 sign up fee plus 75 cents per minute, or you can buy a package. The smallest is $55 for 100 minutes. The largest is $175 for 500 minutes. You get bonus minutes for prepurchasing on Princess.com or buying the first day on the ship. Best deal is prepurchasing.

You will have to pay for any internet service including wifi. The cost varies for each package....it is not cheap (not sure of the price). Internet service is EXTREMELY SLOW.....thnk dial-up speed. We're on the Crown in four weeks...hope you have a great cruise!!!!!!

You have to pay for wifi on the ship. The cost is $3.95 sign up fee plus 75 cents per minute, or you can buy a package. The smallest is $55 for 100 minutes. The largest is $175 for 500 minutes. You get bonus minutes for prepurchasing on Princess.com or buying the first day on the ship. Best deal is prepurchasing.

I apologize if I am hijacking this thread but it seems relevant. Can you use the ship's computers without charge for word processing while NOT on the Internet connection? Or does the Internet fee also apply to using the computers in general without connecting? I'm thinking of doing off-line work, then connecting so as to save my Internet charges.

I apologize if I am hijacking this thread but it seems relevant. Can you use the ship's computers without charge for word processing while NOT on the Internet connection? Or does the Internet fee also apply to using the computers in general without connecting? I'm thinking of doing off-line work, then connecting so as to save my Internet charges.

You need your own laptop for word processing. Can't do it on theirs.

I don't think this is possible. The computer would have to have a word program or an office program like outlook which I don't think it does and you would have to save it someplace which I don't think they allow. However if you have your own laptop, tablet or smart phone you can create a document save it and then logon to the internet to send the message.

The ship's computers do not have Word or other wp programs on them. Also, you have no access to any drive, so no place to store anything you type.

The ship's computers do not have Word or other wp programs on them. Also, you have no access to any drive, so no place to store anything you type.

Thanks, everyone, for good information. I'm new to this cruising thing and didn't know any of this. Very helpful.

Our experience from this past week, the computers in the Internet Center connected and disconnected much faster than our iPad2. Just be careful to confirm you are logged out each time because those minutes keep on ticking and they aren't forgiving of your "mistakes."

That being said, definitely call Princess to order the internet minutes ahead of time. I faxed my order in, took it with me and was told (after they confirmed with the home office) that a third party processes those requests and Princess didn't receive it so I lost out on my bonus minutes. Get the representative's name and a confirmation number.

I had my little netbook when I was on the Ruby in Feb and bought $55 worth of internet minutes. I think it was about 90 with a bonus of 20 minutes or something like that. I proceeded to log on from my room. Typed an e-mail, hit send, and found out I was disconnected and lost the e-mail. The internet supervisor said to try propping the cabin door open about an inch, as the doors stopped the signal somewhat. Re-typed the e-mail and the same thing happened. Moved out of my room to the library, which had worked well for me last year on the Crown. Same thing happened twice!! I finally threw in the towel and went to the internet cafe and used their computers. They weren't speedy, but I was never disconnected. I lost more than a half hour of my time with the wifi though, trying to send that one e-mail. For what the internet costs, and the quality of the service, I am thinking in the future I might just try and find free wifi in a port.

Archived