Caribbean Princess delayed!

2theship

Yes, I got my money back, and a 25% credit for a future cruise, and it didn't mess with my travel arrangements, but I am still disappointed. I would have preferred to stay in St. Martin for four days. You can't tell me that repairs couldn't be done just as easily there as in San Juan. If repairs didn't start in San Juan until this week, then there was no valid reason to strand us in San Juan

You probably do not come from a very mechanical background. Often there is a serious amount of tear down before determining the parts than need replacement. These ships are diesel electric and the drive motors are in pods along with reduction gears. Was it a bearing failure? a gear failure? Was it a control mechanism failure? not something you can see without tearing it apart. Since St Martin is not a US island and from my visit there, does not have much of an industrial section, I can see the advantage of moving to a much better equipped port. So, yes I can tell you that things were done for a reason, whether or not you understand it.

Sorry about your disappointment.

I agree. What do I expect Princess to do? I expect them at this point to give me adequate notice whether or not my cruise is going to be cancelled so I can commit to another cruise or plan. They've been working on the ship for 2 weeks and should have a reasonable idea at this point if next weeks cruise and the one leaving on the 8th (my cruise) are going to happen. Everyone says to have a Plan B, but how can I have a Plan B if I am legally contracted still to Plan A? I can't make plans to switch my flights to go on a different cruise or put a deposit down for a land vacation if they wait until a day or 2 before we are supposed to leave to cancel.

I'm trying really hard to remain positive, but all of this waiting and wondering is stressful and has taken away some of the joy and anticipation for this cruise. I won't be bitter about a cancellation if I'm given at least a fighting chance to salvage the vacation that I've saved for all year. I feel very sorry for the cruisers who are stuck blindly flying to San Juan later this week without knowing for sure that their cruise is still on.

What you are expecting is realistic. So many people seem to think that money is the right compensation. I think that, at this point, they should know wether or not the ship is reasonably expected to sail and can warn you if it will not. That is the only way a plan B will work. No money will replace the time lost for people that cannot rearrange vacation time off work. Advance notice is the only reasonable expectation at this point…

What good is 100% future cruise credit (if they offered that, never going to happen…)if you don't have the free time to enjoy it...

You probably do not come from a very mechanical background. Often there is a serious amount of tear down before determining the parts than need replacement. These ships are diesel electric and the drive motors are in pods along with reduction gears. Was it a bearing failure? a gear failure? Was it a control mechanism failure? not something you can see without tearing it apart. Since St Martin is not a US island and from my visit there, does not have much of an industrial section, I can see the advantage of moving to a much better equipped port. So, yes I can tell you that things were done for a reason, whether or not you understand it.

Sorry about your disappointment.

Caribbean Princess does not have "Pods".

But that's just it. You're "betting" that this is what the cruise lines did - ignore the problem. You don't KNOW this is what they did. Honest to goodness...really? Do you think these professional cruise lines hire dimwits to maintenance and run their multi-million dollar ships? Do you honestly think they're all running around with their fingers and toes crossed hoping and praying the old girl stays afloat?

As for, as you put it, a "shakedown cruise", I'm sure Princess has everything in hand when it comes to sea trials and making sure the Caribbean Princess is prepared to go to sea under her own power.

I'm really floored by all the arrogance on these boards from people who have an opinion, which they practically state as FACT, on the workings and running of a mega-ship.

I know she was running like crap 5 weeks before she finally broke, because I was on her. THAT is a fact. :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with my travel agent. She spoke to Princess; She was informed that the April 8th sailing should be the 2nd sailing since the repair. That means the April 1st sailing is good to go as well. Let's hope she got good info!!

My travel agent spoke to Princess today too and was told that as of right now they still "plan" to have the April 1st cruise, and subsequently the April 8th cruise. However, he was not told that the repairs were complete.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you and I will meet at our Meet & Greet on the 8th! Positive thoughts! :)

I know she was running like crap 5 weeks before she finally broke, because I was on her. THAT is a fact. :rolleyes:

And I was on the Feb. 12-19 sailing and the ship ran perfectly that week. We had no problems whatsoever making any ports or hearing any strange noises. I know that the ship had some issues on previous cruises because I paid very close attention to all of the postings.

We don't even know if this was the same problem that was on your cruise or other cruises before yours. It could have been an intermittent problem which they were having a hard time tracking down. It could be that they actually fixed the problem from the earlier cruises, but the earlier problem could have weakened another part that finally gave away a couple of weeks ago. Or, they may have known what the issue was, fixed it as well as they could at the time while looking for a more permanent solution and then they had a catastrophic failure of the part.

The point is that I don't know what happened and you certainly don't know what happened either so this whole discussion is pointless.

And I was on the Feb. 12-19 sailing and the ship ran perfectly that week. We had no problems whatsoever making any ports or hearing any strange noises. I know that the ship had some issues on previous cruises because I paid very close attention to all of the postings.

We don't even know if this was the same problem that was on your cruise or other cruises before yours. It could have been an intermittent problem which they were having a hard time tracking down. It could be that they actually fixed the problem from the earlier cruises, but the earlier problem could have weakened another part that finally gave away a couple of weeks ago. Or, they may have known what the issue was, fixed it as well as they could at the time while looking for a more permanent solution and then they had a catastrophic failure of the part.

The point is that I don't know what happened and you certainly don't know what happened either so this whole discussion is pointless.

The reality is problems like this do not typically right themselves, they worsen over time. I don't think there was risk of being stranded at sea as they still have the starboard side motor. It just finally came to the point where they could not maintain the speeds needed to complete the scheduled itinerarys. Blame who you think you need to, but realize "ship happens"... (sorry, couldn't resist)

So you are all willing to lay over while Princess pays all cost to UK passengers for the cancelled cruise.

If all costs are being paid back to some customers, regardless of insurance all passengers should receive the same, that is only fair and right in my eyes.

So you are all willing to lay over while Princess pays all cost to UK passengers for the cancelled cruise.

If all costs are being paid back to some customers, regardless of insurance all passengers should receive the same, that is only fair and right in my eyes.

Is it fair that U.S. Pax can cancel before final payment is due and UK pax can't cancel and get their money back?

Not sure about this one but I don't think UK pax can even get price drops.

Different rules depending on what country you live in.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

...Why are you being charged for insurance and then not being given any compensation different from someone who didn't purchase insurance? I really hope that everyone who, like me, purchases insurance for every cruise reads about what's happening to you. To me, it's a huge cautionary tale.

Good point, Jeannie.

If Princess can cancel its insurance coverage and not even refund the premium perhaps it would be better to purchase insurance from another source!

I agree. What do I expect Princess to do? I expect them at this point to give me adequate notice whether or not my cruise is going to be cancelled so I can commit to another cruise or plan. They've been working on the ship for 2 weeks and should have a reasonable idea at this point if next weeks cruise and the one leaving on the 8th (my cruise) are going to happen. Everyone says to have a Plan B, but how can I have a Plan B if I am legally contracted still to Plan A? I can't make plans to switch my flights to go on a different cruise or put a deposit down for a land vacation if they wait until a day or 2 before we are supposed to leave to cancel.

I'm trying really hard to remain positive, but all of this waiting and wondering is stressful and has taken away some of the joy and anticipation for this cruise. I won't be bitter about a cancellation if I'm given at least a fighting chance to salvage the vacation that I've saved for all year. I feel very sorry for the cruisers who are stuck blindly flying to San Juan later this week without knowing for sure that their cruise is still on.

I agree! The stress of the last few weeks is defintely putting a damper on the joy and anticipation of my cruise that I waited and saved a year for. If I knew two weeks ago if my ship would be sailing or not and had a chance to rebook elsewhere, I'd have a fighting chance of at least being on a cruise or vacation somewhere. At this point, if we don't get news in the next two days, I will be already in San Juan with no back-up plan. I can't book something else until I know whether we are sailing or not.

I keep hoping we are going to be sailing- but there lack of communication has me highly suspicious that repairs won't be completed and we will be the last to know (except the people who don't follow CC)

Message to Princess: please give us adequate notice if you aren't going to sail- don't leave us hanging till it's too late to make changes- I really need a vacation this year. I'd like it to be with you- but if that isn't possible, give me a chance to book elsewhere. Thank-you.

I agree! The stress of the last few weeks is defintely putting a damper on the joy and anticipation of my cruise that I waited and saved a year for. If I knew two weeks ago if my ship would be sailing or not and had a chance to rebook elsewhere, I'd have a fighting chance of at least being on a cruise or vacation somewhere. At this point, if we don't get news in the next two days, I will be already in San Juan with no back-up plan. I can't book something else until I know whether we are sailing or not.

I keep hoping we are going to be sailing- but there lack of communication has me highly suspicious that repairs won't be completed and we will be the last to know (except the people who don't follow CC)

Message to Princess: please give us adequate notice if you aren't going to sail- don't leave us hanging till it's too late to make changes- I really need a vacation this year. I'd like it to be with you- but if that isn't possible, give me a chance to book elsewhere. Thank-you.

I am feeling for you. I arrived in San Juan for the Mar. 18th sailing only to get a message that the cruise was cancelled. It has cost me a lot of money that my insurance won't cover because they say it is a mechanical problem and therefore up to Princess to cover. I haven't given up yet. We couldn't get our flight changed for 4 days because of the backlog and had to book hotels until then. I agree with you that the lack of communication probably means that the ship is not fixed and you will likely find out tomorrow or Thursday about your cruise. I hope you get to go on this cruise or can change your plans. I am sick over the whole situation and hope you aren't put through this as well.

Caribbean Princess does not have "Pods".

Well, I stand corrected. A number of the newer ships do have the drive motors in pods. The others have the drive motors buried deep in the hull.The rest of the post remains accurate. I am not sure which system would be easier to service??

I am feeling for you. I arrived in San Juan for the Mar. 18th sailing only to get a message that the cruise was cancelled. It has cost me a lot of money that my insurance won't cover because they say it is a mechanical problem and therefore up to Princess to cover. I haven't given up yet. We couldn't get our flight changed for 4 days because of the backlog and had to book hotels until then. I agree with you that the lack of communication probably means that the ship is not fixed and you will likely find out tomorrow or Thursday about your cruise. I hope you get to go on this cruise or can change your plans. I am sick over the whole situation and hope you aren't put through this as well.

Thank-you, I'm sorry for your lost vacation, too This is a tricky situation because travel insurance doesn't cover cruise cancellations. The fact that we are travelling over spring break makes making a sudden change almost impossible.

I'm really hoping I'll be posting good news soon

I just got off the phone with my travel agent. She spoke to Princess; She was informed that the April 8th sailing should be the 2nd sailing since the repair. That means the April 1st sailing is good to go as well. Let's hope she got good info!!

That's good news especially since my son and daughter-in-law are sailing for 2 weeks starting April 1 and I am joining them on april 8th.

Well, I stand corrected. A number of the newer ships do have the drive motors in pods. The others have the drive motors buried deep in the hull.The rest of the post remains accurate. I am not sure which system would be easier to service??

Carnival lines seem to have been avoiding pods on newbuilds lately, as their ships are all based on older prototype designs using standard propulsion systems. Regarding service, it depends how extensive it needs to be. If it is fairly minor, then a prop/rudder arrangement would be easier, as it can be done without a dry dock. With pods, anything more than propeller replacement needs to be done in dry dock.

So are you saying that UK cruisers should also pay the low low fares afforded to US cruisers.. seems like the first time UK cruisers have come out on top

We were on the 3/11 cruise "to nowhere", as it is now affectionately (or not so much) called. Our credit card has been reimbursed by Princess, so kudos to them for handling that aspect of the experience in a very timely manner.

That said, I doubt anyone on that cruise would have spent time chosing what to do on their vacation, made arrangements, selected the itinerary, arranged excursions within the ship as well as outside of the ship, etc... all the while knowing that they were not going to get to do any of those things.

My husband and I are finally at a point in our lives where we have the luxury of flexible travel schedules. But that's not the case for many people (including our daughter, who only has one week of vacation a year and was on the cruise).

Blame? I, for one, take my car in for maintenance regularly and so far, knock on wood, this has worked like a charm in the near (shall I admit) 40 years I've been driving - haven't been stranded yet. Is my car out of commission during maintenance? You bet. Do I make prior arrangements? Yep. I don't know if cruise lines take their ships out of circulation to perform maintenance. We could discuss, at length, responsibility vs. "things just happen". Everyone will have varying opinions, as we're all allowed to have those.

A huge number of people were more than inconvenienced. I recall listening to many individual stories including one elderly man who chose to leave the ship after it docked back in PR. Booked an early flight, paid the astronomical change fee, only to be told that he couldn't leave the ship until after 10:30 am (his flight was scheduled prior to that). He was told to leave the night before and book a hotel. He told Princess that he couldn't find a hotel. They said "sorry". He asked them to please find him a hotel, only to be told "sorry" again. I don't know whatever became of him.

IMHO, we certainly didn't have the experience we expected, though not the end of the world. Princess can't turn the clock back and "fix" the vacation, but they can provide full cruise refund (done), full airfare refund (not done).

Received this from Princess Last nite at 11:39 PM NY Time

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: CARIBBEAN PRINCESS DEPARTING APRIL 1

As you may be aware Caribbean Princess experienced a technical problem which required us to cancel the two previous voyages. The ship has

remained in San Juan where specialized technicians have been working day and night on repairs to one of the two propulsion motors. At this

time we anticipate the work to be completed on Sunday, April 1. Embarkation on Sunday, April 1 will not be impacted and is scheduled to begin

at 1:00 pm. Although we do not expect a delay, it is possible that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary.

Should there be a delay, we will communicate to you the revised itinerary and details of compensation. We will provide you with updates if we

receive new information. As always, the safety of our passengers and crew is our primary concern. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

If I understand this correctly it means that if they take to Sunday to finish repairs then there will be no time for a ses trial--we the passengers will be the ses trial and the cruise itnerary may be changed meaning all our excursions will be cancelled as well--but it is nice of them to tell us that they will provide updates if they receive any--if they don't receive updates who the hell does???

This has turned out to be a disaster for me and mt wife who are celebrating our wedding anniversary of 26 years-- The have been in port since 3/14 for a total of 18days (up until launch time of April 1)

I can't believe it takes 18 days of working day and night to repair this problem--you could conceivebly change a entire engine in 14 days ans still have time for sea trial--really makes me wonder----

And the other question I would have is why wait so long into the week before departure to say there are other situations--I cant accept that just sit there and when a 11th hour update becomes available they just shoot out a mass email--If I was Princess my lines of communication would be a lot more fluid--I mean I'm sure they knew something way before this--if you have engineers working day and night they should be getting at the very least updates every 6 to 8 hrs--or at least 3 updates every day of the night and day repair process--if we are to beleive that they have been working night and day in the first place.

And one more thing --for the person who has a spouse on the ship---so much for the piece delivered on 3/22 and the repair done --stating the the ship was ready to sail under her own power.:mad:

Never ceases to amaze me how the first words are always how much compensation will we get. The cruise contract clearly states that they have no responsibility when it comes to compensation. Therefore the passengers should be happy with anything they get. As far as I'm concerned missing a port(assuming you do miss one) entitles you to no refund. If you are on vacation and driving to your destination when your engine blows and you are a day late getting to your hotel does anyone compensate you?

You realize that the extension of this logic is that if the engines of an airplane stop working in mid air than the airline should not be held responsible, right?

Sorry, while weather and unforeseen circumstances are obviously not the fault of the line, mechanical problems with the ship clearly is. You can quote contracts all you want, but it's about reputation.

Just my opinion , I am entitled to it so don't shoot me but I kind of agree that if it is the fault of Princess that they miss a port and or have to sit in a port, for a long period of time, something s/b done about it. Nothing major like a free cruise but it should be their responsibility to make sure their equipment is working properly. How about a little bit of on board credit. Depending on how long they are stuck there. Now if it had to do with a storm or something out of their control then it would be a different story. Again, everyone has their opinion.

Linda

Bingo. This is just common sense and I seriously wonder about motives arguing the contrary.

I can't believe it takes 18 days of working day and night to repair this problem--you could conceivebly change a entire engine in 14 days ans still have time for sea trial--really makes me wonder----

Since no one posting here knows exactly what the details of

the problem are, nor what steps must be taken to effect repairs,

how can we know if 18 days is too long, or not long enough

for repairs?

I presume that no want wants the repairs completely quickly

more than the princess bean counters...

Received this from Princess Last nite at 11:39 PM NY Time

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: CARIBBEAN PRINCESS DEPARTING APRIL 1

As you may be aware Caribbean Princess experienced a technical problem which required us to cancel the two previous voyages. The ship has

remained in San Juan where specialized technicians have been working day and night on repairs to one of the two propulsion motors. At this

time we anticipate the work to be completed on Sunday, April 1. Embarkation on Sunday, April 1 will not be impacted and is scheduled to begin

at 1:00 pm. Although we do not expect a delay, it is possible that continued work may require us to make changes to the voyage itinerary.

Should there be a delay, we will communicate to you the revised itinerary and details of compensation. We will provide you with updates if we

receive new information. As always, the safety of our passengers and crew is our primary concern. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

If I understand this correctly it means that if they take to Sunday to finish repairs then there will be no time for a ses trial--we the passengers will be the ses trial and the cruise itnerary may be changed meaning all our excursions will be cancelled as well--but it is nice of them to tell us that they will provide updates if they receive any--if they don't receive updates who the hell does???

This has turned out to be a disaster for me and mt wife who are celebrating our wedding anniversary of 26 years-- The have been in port since 3/14 for a total of 18days (up until launch time of April 1)

And the other question I would have is why wait so long into the week before departure to say there are other situations--I cant accept that just sit there and when a 11th hour update becomes available they just shoot out a mass email--If I was Princess my lines of communication would be a lot more fluid--I mean I'm sure they knew something way before this--if you have engineers working day and night they should be getting at the very least updates every 6 to 8 hrs--or at least 3 updates every day of the night and day repair process--if we are to beleive that they have been working night and day in the first place.

And one more thing --for the person who has a spouse on the ship---so much for the piece delivered on 3/22 and the repair done --stating the the ship was ready to sail under her own power.:mad:

Congratulations on 26 years!

Would you prefer the cruise be cancelled?

I know very little of ship propulsion, but I believe the engines are about the size of a school bus. I have to believe Princess is desperate to stop the bleeding at this point. Do the math on refunding 10,000 cruises, loss of on-board revenue, etc...

As for the crew person/spouse misinformation issue, I'm guessing it is a very select group of ship personel who are actually in the know regarding the time frame/progress of the repair. With the way the world is now, it almost has to be that way. I'd guess the crew was hearing the same line we were. That is simply, "the April 1 cruise is a go".

The April Fools Day Guinea Pig Cruise.

Archived