Does RCI Serve Pink Meat?

If most people were able to see what goes on in many of the restaurants around the world, they would never eat out again. Unless you're in the kitchen when the food is being prepared you have no idea of what goes with your food.

Ever been to a slaughter house? Ever eaten a hot dog or sausage? Everything goes in with the exception of the oink or moo.

And if you're waiting for Royal Caribbean to respond to your comments here, then you will be waiting for a long time. Royal Caribbean does not respond to comments on this board.

The problem people have with the "pink slime" isn't the separation and reformation, the US food industry has been mechanically separating and reforming meat for a long long time, its treating the product with ammonia and not having to list it as an ingredient if it contains 15% or less "pink slime"

If I buy a 85/15 chub is the slime counted inthe 85 lean or the 15 fat? Or do we need to see 70/15/10 for 10% slime? If I'm going to buy pink slime I think I want it irradiated too. :rolleyes:

That's only 95%. What's the other 5%? Maybe we don't want to know.

Or is the other 5% what turns a hamburger into a hot dog. :p

Google what is in them.:eek::D:D:D

I like getting londol broil on sale and have them chop it up for beef burgers.

That and a former USDA Scientist finally let the cat out of the bag :o

Unless you buy beef and grind it yourself its almost impossible to avoid it seems. Publix, Costco and a couple other huge chain grocery stores swear its not in their beef............the rest? well who knows.

This points to a fundamental problem with the cruise pricing model... we pay in advance for a cruise -including food - and Royal Caribbean's job is then to spend as little of that money as possible delivering a minimally acceptable product.

I assume that Royal Caribbean uses low-cost chemically stabilized food products like pink slime as a way to deliver shareholder value. I would love to hear from the company that I'm wrong! Their product is a direct response to what we will buy, and what we will accept without complaint, so you are very right to ask this question!

Honestly, Royal Caribbean's low-quality food is the one thing I do not look forward to on my upcoming cruise. Only extra cost options offer a step up from this low bar.

My thoughts exactly! and the reason for my post. So, how do we get them to fess up? Heck, even Mcdonalds confessed to using pink slime. They claim they are gonna stop. I wonder if the dollar menu will dissapear along with the slime?

If RCI and the other cruise lines and onland restaurants sell the slime meat and make it public and people choose to eat it anyway, that's cool. I just dont like the idea of them selling you one thing and telling you it's 100% beef.

I had no idea what pink slime was until now. Now that is revolting! Of course I had to google to find out if it is used in Australia and apparently it has never been used (hopefully that's true). Was this something that Jamie Oliver revealed to the public during one of his shows? I remember on one of his American shows he revealed the contents of your typical chicken nugget in school cafs. He then showed the kids how they were made and what they consisted of thinking they wouldn't want to eat it. He then asked the kids who wanted one of the offensive chicken nuggets and they all put up their hand!

This does not sound like a tasty thing. Thankfully it is not in our ground beef made here in Canada. Can't say it isn't in the gr. beef that comes in from the US for sale here, though. I avoid that meat anyway.

I guess the simple answer for the OP is to avoid gr. beef products on the ship.

Personally, I love when things like this come up and people get all up in arms over it. Within a short time frame, the hysteria will subside, much like the mechanically separated chicken mess (hey look, another Jamie Oliver stunt). Meanwhile, ask someone what's in the other items they consume, and wait for the blank stare. Oh, those gelcap medications you take? A number include iron oxide for coloring. THAT'S RUST IN YOUR MEDICINE!!!

Got your attention? Good. Rust is a form of iron oxide, but there is another iron oxide compound used for pigments. This is akin to Mr. Oliver's dumping beef into aqueous ammonia when the process actually uses a small exposure of ammonium hydroxide gas in order to increase the pH of the product and kill any microbes present. Oh and FYI... your body makes ammonia as part of the urea cycle.

In other words... calm down. :D But if you're truly concerned, simply stay away from ground beef on ship. I can't think of anywhere that I've eaten burgers on board aside from Johnny Rockets anyway.

Head Cheese, anyone? How about blood sausage?

Pink slime? Big deal.

C'mon get real. If we're going to eat animals, we should be using every scrap. Yes, I eat hot dogs, various deli meats and head cheese when I can get it. No, I don't usually eat hamburgers on cruise ships, since I try to stick with stuff I don't/can't make at home.

You could be eating that maggoty cheese that's such a delicacy in Sardinia - Casu Marzu. Now THAT'S gross!

My thoughts exactly! and the reason for my post. So, how do we get them to fess up? Heck, even Mcdonalds confessed to using pink slime. They claim they are gonna stop. I wonder if the dollar menu will dissapear along with the slime?

If RCI and the other cruise lines and onland restaurants sell the slime meat and make it public and people choose to eat it anyway, that's cool. I just dont like the idea of them selling you one thing and telling you it's 100% beef.

Never seen RCI telling me it´s 100% beef.;)

First you need to find a sizable population of cruisers that actually care. There isn't even a sizable population of cruisers that belong to CC and most probably don't care. Maybe if it disturbs you that much, you should just avoid eating ground beef on the ship. It's not like it would be hard to do. I don't think you'll starve to death:rolleyes:

I think they meant Vegan too :D LOL

Unfortunately, when the media comingles "pink slime" - which was banned for human consumption in 2006 (it is still, however, the main ingredient in high end all-natural pet foods:eek:) with FDA approved lean ground beef trim, all you get is hysteric reactions coldly calculated to improve ratings and fuel the frenzy at the fringe. At least they've left irradiated pork and the animal droppings used as stabilizers in high-end cosmetics alone for this round of rants:rolleyes:

Has anyone researched to see if RCI uses the "pink meat" that has been in the news lately?

I am willing to bet they do to keep costs down. How can I find out if their meat is safe? I am having second thoughts about enjoying a burger on the cruise.

After hearing all of this about "pink slime" in our meat it makes you want to become a vegetarian. LOL. But I can't live without my Filet Mignon!

The term is actually "pink slime".

When I saw "pink meat", I thought "sure, just order your steak rare!" :D

Hahahahaha! Me, too! I thought "maybe she thinks RCI is like certain restaurants that actually WON'T serve meat rare". I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that :D

Hahahahaha! Me, too! I thought "maybe she thinks RCI is like certain restaurants that actually WON'T serve meat rare". I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that :D

Old restaurant trick...beef too well done? Put it in a steam table with beet juice, and cover it with lettuce leaves. In a few minutes, you have nicely pink "medium rare" beef. Moral, don't ever visit the kitchen if you want to eat in the restaurant.;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Archived