Aft Cabins

Not sure where to put this question. We were talking with the other couple going with us on the Mariner next year. The topic was cabins. The gentleman said he had always heard that aft cabins were the roughest in regards to waves. Is this true?

Thanks!

Not sure where to put this question. We were talking with the other couple going with us on the Mariner next year. The topic was cabins. The gentleman said he had always heard that aft cabins were the roughest in regards to waves. Is this true?

Thanks!

We have cruised many times aft,

and have not had a problem

as a result with rough seas.

Under normal operations no problems,

in unusual circumstances the whole ship

will experience extenuating consequences.

We have sailed aft cabins many times and we always try to book them if one is available.We sailed an aft Penthouse Suite on NCL Dawn two years ago to Bermuda with Hurricanes all around us .On the return we had 30 foot seas and it didn't feel that much different in our cabin than anywhere else on the ship.

I have personally found that height, not forward/mid/aft, affects amount of motion. I always try to get Deck 7 Afts, never have had a motion issue. But the one time I did a Deck 10 Aft, I felt a bit more movement. I think the higher you go, the more motion you get, no matter how forward or aft you might be.

On my cruise next week on Oasis I am on Deck 11 Hump, it's going to be really different from what I am used to; I will miss my huge Aft balcony and my lounge chairs and my view of the wake.:)

Off the Liberty last week. We were on deck 7 aft. We didn't notice much movement at all, even with very big swells and a couple days of rain. You guys can have the aft. As nice as the HUGE balconies are, I really missed my hump cabins. It's a LONG walk to the aft cabins.

From a physics standpoint, the cabins that will feel the most motion are on the higher decks toward the bow of the ship. The cabins in the aft will feel slightly less. The least amount of motion will be the lower decks mid ship.

Exactly-simple physics experiments will demonstrate this. Aft part of ship can experience same amount of pitch, depending on sea conditions, but generally, with the ship being propelled from the aft, the force transmitted by the screws or azipods will keep the stern more stable. Upper decks will move more than lower decks with a pitch or yaw motion, but is significantly more with a roll.

Archived