Washington DC (IAD) Airport

grak

Is IAD fairly easy to navigate? The United terminal specifically. We don't have a huge amount of time changing flights from there to FCO. I'll print out a map but thought I'd see what others thing. Thanks.

Is IAD fairly easy to navigate? The United terminal specifically. We don't have a huge amount of time changing flights from there to FCO. I'll print out a map but thought I'd see what others thing. Thanks.

Since you did not provide specifics, I made some assumptions. Are you taking the SFO flight with the 47 minute connection at IAD? If so, you should be fine if the SFO-IAD flight is on time.

UA's terminal is labeled "C" and "D", but these are opposite ends of the same terminal building, so the good news is you will not have to take transportation to another terminal building, assuming you are arriving from SFO. You may have a looong walk. A general rule of thumb seems to be - the more luggage you are carrying, the longer the walk. :p

A terminal map wouldn't hurt, but may not be all that useful since you will not have to change terminals. I would bring along information for any alternate flights from IAD to FCO in case you do not make your connection.

Domestic to international not a big deal, especially staying on UA. The other way is, of course, but that applies to most airports (perhaps a bit more with IAD). Of course, "not a huge amount of time" is pretty vague.

IAD is my home airport. An hour is more than enough time to make your connecting United flight.

While I agree with you, it always cracks me up a bit when someone says something along the lines of "it's my home airport - it's easy for connections." How often do you connect through your home airport? ;)

While I agree with you, it always cracks me up a bit when someone says something along the lines of "it's my home airport - it's easy for connections." How often do you connect through your home airport? ;)

I think that saying an airport is your home airport implies that you are very familiar with the layout and are aware of how long it takes to get from gate to gate, terminal to terminal. You don't need to have made an actual connection to have this knowledge.

I think that saying an airport is your home airport implies that you are very familiar with the layout and are aware of how long it takes to get from gate to gate, terminal to terminal. You don't need to have made an actual connection to have this knowledge.

I know, and I agree. I wasn't doing it as a knock on you. I've just heard a lot of people say that before (myself included), and it always makes me chuckle a bit.

Archived