JFK taxi to Manhattan?

mattR

I see that taxies are flat fare of $45 from JFK to Manhattan, but are there any toll charges on the way to times square? Also how much time should we give to get back from times square to JFK for a 11pm flight?

If the cabbie takes one of the East River bridges into Manhattan there will be no toll. If they take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel there is a toll.

I would be on the road no later than 90 minutes prior to your required airport check in time. So, if your airline wants you to check in for your 11pm flight at 9pm, leave Manhattan no later than 7:30.

If the cabbie takes one of the East River bridges into Manhattan there will be no toll. If they take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel there is a toll.

I would be on the road no later than 90 minutes prior to your required airport check in time. So, if your airline wants you to check in for your 11pm flight at 9pm, leave Manhattan no later than 7:30.

actually the fast way to midtown is on the lie from jfk to the midtown tunnel...not on the brooklyn battery tunnel. non rush hour its 45 minutes or less this way. much longer through the bbt.

during rush hour cabs can use the bus lanes so the midtown tunnel is faster too

btw the toll for both the midtown tunnel and bbt is 4.80 with the mandatory for cabs ez pass and cash toll is 6.50

actually the fast way to midtown is on the lie from jfk to the midtown tunnel...not on the brooklyn battery tunnel. non rush hour its 45 minutes or less this way. much longer through the bbt.

during rush hour cabs can use the bus lanes so the midtown tunnel is faster too

Yeah...I used to live in the Marine Park/Sheepshead Bay area so I'm used to taking the Belt Parkway to either JFK or the Battery Tunnel, so I just put the two routes together end to end.

OK...different tunnel, same result...a toll for using the tunnel versus none for using an East River bridge...and you can be sure the cabbie will use the quickest, shortest route if he can, so it's likely you're going to pay a toll.

OK...different tunnel, same result...a toll for using the tunnel versus none for using an East River bridge...and you can be sure the cabbie will use the quickest, shortest route if he can, so it's likely you're going to pay a toll.

Its not the same result. Some of out of town guests would take your post as the way to go and when the cabbie went another way would scream that they are being taken for a ride. Unnecessary for both the cabbie and our friends on Cruise critic. This is true even though its a set fare and the cabbie will be trying to get you there as quickly as possible to get to the next fare.

Its more than likely you will pay the toll because its faster. To go to almost any other bridge to midtown requires some street driving particularly over the 59th street(Ed Koch) bridge. BTW you do have the right to specify how they go...so you can save the toll by saying take the 59th street bridge which is the most direct way but will mean you will travel on Queens BLVD for awhile....and more than likely will take longer....although sometimes its the faster way too.

and not to get picky but the fare is $45.50 plus toll and tip.

Its not the same result. Some of out of town guests would take your post as the way to go and when the cabbie went another way would scream that they are being taken for a ride. Unnecessary for both the cabbie and our friends on Cruise critic. This is true even though its a set fare and the cabbie will be trying to get you there as quickly as possible to get to the next fare.

Its more than likely you will pay the toll because its faster. To go to almost any other bridge to midtown requires some street driving particularly over the 59th street(Ed Koch) bridge. BTW you do have the right to specify how they go...so you can save the toll by saying take the 59th street bridge which is the most direct way but will mean you will travel on Queens BLVD for awhile....and more than likely will take longer....although sometimes its the faster way too.

and not to get picky but the fare is $45.50 plus toll and tip.

The words "same result" are a reference to having to pay the toll regardless of whether the Midtown Tunnel or the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is used...and the toll is identical for both.

With a flat fare why would one think they're being "taken for a ride"? It won't cost you one thin dime more for the fare or toll. That's the whole idea behind having the flat fare between JFK and Manhattan...so tourists can't be taken for a ride by unscrupulous or incompetent cabbies. Limo drivers have sometimes taken me to places using odd routing, but since the fare is fixed I don't give a damn...other than I might suggest a different route if the way they're going is going to waste a lot of time.

And not to be picky, but the fare is $45. The additional $.50 is a NY State Tax Surcharge.

To the OP: Don't forget to add a tip to the fare. I would recommend just going the way the cab driver selects. Hopefully he has listened to the radio and knows the traffic conditions. When you go over the Bridge, it will be lots of traffic lights and it will be more crowded over the bridge because folks who have to commute on a daily basis save money that way. I am sure you want to get to the pier as quick as you can.

And not to be picky, but the fare is $45. The additional $.50 is a NY State Tax Surcharge.

....whether you consider the fare to be $45 plus .50 cents surcharge or

$45.50 including the surcharge is a distinction without a difference. and some irate person would still say the cabbie ripped them off for $.50

....whether you consider the fare to be $45 plus .50 cents surcharge or

$45.50 including the surcharge is a distinction without a difference. and some irate person would still say the cabbie ripped them off for $.50

OK... so the next time we answer a question about taxi fares in NY City let's make sure we also mention the $.50 night surcharge for rides after 8 pm and before 6 am, and the peak hour weekday surcharge of $1.00 for rides M-F after 4pm and before 8pm, so we don't chance anyone going bonkers over those either.

OK... so the next time we answer a question about taxi fares in NY City let's make sure we also mention the $.50 night surcharge for rides after 8 pm and before 6 am, and the peak hour weekday surcharge of $1.00 for rides M-F after 4pm and before 8pm, so we don't chance anyone going bonkers over those either.

no that is actually different and hour specific and doesn't apply to the JFK fare anyway....the .50 is added to every ride. so that every fare includes it...including JFK the others don't apply to the JFK fares- no matter what the hour...

no that is actually different and hour specific and doesn't apply to the JFK fare anyway....the .50 is added to every ride. so that every fare includes it...including JFK the others don't apply to the JFK fares- no matter what the hour...

I never said they applied to the JFK flat fare.

The point is that unless you mention all those possibilities in response to a question about taxi fares you technically haven't given complete information. If someone happens to take a taxi on the meter during peak hours they're going to get hit with a $1.00 surcharge. That's double the 50 cents you're so concerned about my not specifically mentioning.

The real point is that we're counting the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin...I was emphasizing how nit picky the whole discussion is.

I never said they applied to the JFK flat fare.

The point is that unless you mention all those possibilities in response to a question about taxi fares you technically haven't given complete information. If someone happens to take a taxi on the meter during peak hours they're going to get hit with a $1.00 surcharge. That's double the 50 cents you're so concerned about my not specifically mentioning.

The real point is that we're counting the number of angels dancing on the head of a pin...I was emphasizing how nit picky the whole discussion is.

lets see so far you gave directions that don't apply. you gave two examples of surcharges that don't apply and argue as to whether tellling someone that the fare which is $45.50 does or does not include the .50 surcharge that does apply.

when we talk about fares not to or from JFK we all give ranges not specific fares. the only specific fare is to/from Kennedy in a cab. I am sure you will come up with some other inanity as why I am wrong....

Archived