Venice prepaid toilet cards

ninkb

We will be staying in Venice 2 days before and one day after our cruise. I'd like to order the prepaid cards (from Venice Connected) that can be used in the Public Restrooms. Do I have to specify dates for them (as I have to do for the bus/water bus passes) or can I simply guess how many "stops" we'll make and order sufficient cards? This is worse than figuring how many Euros we need! Thanks for your experience using the cards. :)

That has to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard on Cruise Critic!! A 'toilet card'???? We were there for four days in November on our second trip, and have spent months in Europe in the last few years, and I don't think we ever had difficulty with finding a toilet. Worst case is you pop into a cafe, buy an espresso for a euro or two, and use their facilities. Someone will always be dreaming up new ways to rip off the tourists, I guess. :eek:

There are two different cards to choose from, a daily one (3 Euro, but can be purchased at a discount ahead of time) that allows 2 toilet stops per day, or a weekly one (9 Euro, can also be purchased at a discount if bought in advance) that allows 10 stops anytime during a one week period. Of course, you can also pay per visit to use the public facilities (Euro 1,50 per visit).

I don't think it's "ripping off" or taking advantage of tourists to charge for clean restrooms. There is a cost associated with building and maintaining them and a small usage charge seems fair to me. I'd certainly prefer to pay a little bit for a well maintained rest room than have a free, dirty one.

We will be staying in Venice 2 days before and one day after our cruise. I'd like to order the prepaid cards (from Venice Connected) that can be used in the Public Restrooms. Do I have to specify dates for them (as I have to do for the bus/water bus passes) or can I simply guess how many "stops" we'll make and order sufficient cards? This is worse than figuring how many Euros we need! Thanks for your experience using the cards. :)

Definitely keep the card after your stay - I think it will be one of the most interesting souvenirs you could ever bring home! :p

While I agree that this thread sounds quite hilarious, unfortunately it's not a joke - It's for real.

We had two visits to Venice (almost 2 years ago now) and the public toilets in many areas, especially near St Marks Square, were quite hard to find and cost 1 1/2 E at that time. We eventually discovered that it was better to go into a cafe and buy an espresso coffee for 1 E and use their convenience.

The espresso coffee is only a couple of mouthfuls and, even if you don't bother to drink it, this method is cheaper and much more convenient (no pun intended). Just be aware that you need to stand at the counter to drink it (like the locals). If you sit at a table, especially one outside with a view, the cost will go up considerably.

I'm sorry that I don't have any information on the cards for you...we were in Venice just last week. The people in many stores and cafes were very nice about letting us use their restrooms without a fee. A few times when we were in a shop that didn't have an available restroom,the store clerk would direct us to the nearest shop that did. The only place where we even saw a "pay for" restroom was the train station. It was .80. Have a fantastic trip!!-Kade

I am so glad this question has been asked, if not answered properly. We are going to Venice soon and i have heard of these cards. I think you can buy them in singles or multitudes of 10 (which i will need lol :o ). I will be buying some as i am worried about the toilet facilities there and want to be prepared.

I was in Florence last year, couldn't find a public toilet so went into a shop and bought ice creams and used their facilities. The owners went ballistic, apparently you had to have a sit down snack/meal in order to use them. Don't want to try that again.

I don't think it is unreasonable price as the cost of maintaining these facilities must be quite high.

Anyway,surely it;s a valid question, with no need for sarcasm. :confused:

I am so glad this question has been asked, if not answered properly. We are going to Venice soon and i have heard of these cards. I think you can buy them in singles or multitudes of 10 (which i will need lol :o ). I will be buying some as i am worried about the toilet facilities there and want to be prepared.

I was in Florence last year, couldn't find a public toilet so went into a shop and bought ice creams and used their facilities. The owners went ballistic, apparently you had to have a sit down snack/meal in order to use them. Don't want to try that again.

I don't think it is unreasonable price as the cost of maintaining these facilities must be quite high.

Anyway,surely it;s a valid question, with no need for sarcasm. :confused:

It is a valid question which has been answered above, I'm not sure where you're getting "sarcasm".

At any rate, for more information on the specifics see here: http://www.veniceconnected.com/Public-restrooms-facilities

the potty pass will come in handy, DH and I had a hard time finding bathrooms while walking the back streets of Venice. When we did find bathrooms, some were primitive at best. No problem for DH :) but squatting over a hole in the floor toilet is NOT my idea of a good time, and some were dark and dirty.

Get the pass, ,you won't be sorry.

. . . if the passes are dated. I know the idea seems funny to many, but the issue is real for us. Since we'll be in Venice both before and after the cruise I want to have passes for both parts of the visit. Do I need to order twice? I guess I'll just go to the website and start ordering. If it doesn't work out, I "escape" before giving my credit card info. Four days total in the city, we can easily use 30 (3 of the 10's) "tickets" that make the "per use fee" less than using public rest rooms and paying per stop. Glad some of you got a laugh out of this. It is certainly not a joke and I do appreciate the suggestions.

Glad some of you got a laugh out of this. It is certainly not a joke and I do appreciate the suggestions.

I don't think they were laughing AT you, just at the idea that you could order a card "to go". Let's face it, we all have to go and when you've gotta go, you've gotta go! For most of us we've never even thought you could buy a card. We just tried our best to find a place and hoped we could use it. The question is legitimate and interesting and funny. The need, however, is real. I always tell everyone I'm like a toddler. Ask if anyone has to go potty (sure bring up the subject) and I'm the first one with their hand up because NOW I have to go! LOL.

If you don't have a card, is there an attendant you can pay to use the restroom?

Yes, there was when we were there in 2008. At a couple of the ladies restrooms the attendant was a man and we weren't comfortable with that so moved on.

We actually found the cafes, delis, etc. to be very accommodating about using the restroom. If we sat to have pizza for lunch we'd make sure we used the restroom before leaving. If we stopped for a coffee or hot chocolate, we used the restroom before leaving. There is a McDonalds just off San Marco piazza (we used that a number of times). Then on the walking tours, the guide would take us to a local establishment (once a bar and then an ice cream bar) and let the whole group use the restroom.

We were 63 and 80 at the time of our trip, so both having weak bladders. My friend actually takes diuretics, so would make sure we didn't leave the hotel until she had gone at least 3 times. We never had a problem finding a restroom to use in our 3 days post-cruise.

Now Rome 3 days pre-cruise was another story. But again, we looked for McDonalds and used them a lot on the trip. Even in Corfu, there was a line of about 10 ladies waiting for McDonalds to open because everyone knew the restroom was clean and no charge.

But if you feel more comfortable having the potty pass, by all means go for it.

We did purchase a few passes for Venice and only used one in the public restroom off St. Marks Square. That same facility was closed in the evening. We ended up giving the extra passes away. We did not find many of the facilities in Italy to be very clean, some were downright filthy. Bring your own TP and hand sanitizer. Since our return, I've found a helpful mobile App at "sit or squat dot com".

We did purchase a few passes for Venice and only used one in the public restroom off St. Marks Square. That same facility was closed in the evening. We ended up giving the extra passes away. We did not find many of the facilities in Italy to be very clean, some were downright filthy. Bring your own TP and hand sanitizer. Since our return, I've found a helpful mobile App at "sit or squat dot com".

Public toilets in cities everywhere can be pretty dodgy. It's good advice to carry tissues and hand sanitiser as you suggest. I usually try to arrange the sightseeing day so that we stop for a coffee/meal/gelato break every two or three hours and I can use the loo in the cafe, bar or restaurant. If we're visiting a museum, they usually have pretty nice loos. Only if I'm desperate will I use a public toilet, and I'm happy to pay for that on the spot. I can see that I would be unlikely to get my money's worth out of a pre-paid pass.

There were a couple of other posters that seemed a little on the mean side.

I am sure you are referring to my post. I was NOT being mean--I just find it funny that you can even buy a 'potty pass'. I certainly was not criticizing the OP for buying one, I was just surprised at the mere existence of said cards. And I have never had any trouble whatsoever in finding a potty when I needed one, which I do frequently. And yes I HAVE paid to use them when necessary.

There is a big difference in being 'mean' and 'sarcastic' vs. finding something amusing. Sorry for offending anyone.

to answer the OPs question - I was studying the Venice Connected website just last night for our upcoming trip and I believe I read that it becomes active the first time you use it.

Now, I am purchasing a 72hour waterbus pass with aerobus transfer, museum passes, wifi, and toilet card. They will all become active the moment I swipe to board the aerobus from the airport.

Yes, there was when we were there in 2008. At a couple of the ladies restrooms the attendant was a man and we weren't comfortable with that so moved on.

We actually found the cafes, delis, etc. to be very accommodating about using the restroom. If we sat to have pizza for lunch we'd make sure we used the restroom before leaving. If we stopped for a coffee or hot chocolate, we used the restroom before leaving. There is a McDonalds just off San Marco piazza (we used that a number of times). Then on the walking tours, the guide would take us to a local establishment (once a bar and then an ice cream bar) and let the whole group use the restroom.

We were 63 and 80 at the time of our trip, so both having weak bladders. My friend actually takes diuretics, so would make sure we didn't leave the hotel until she had gone at least 3 times. We never had a problem finding a restroom to use in our 3 days post-cruise.

Now Rome 3 days pre-cruise was another story. But again, we looked for McDonalds and used them a lot on the trip. Even in Corfu, there was a line of about 10 ladies waiting for McDonalds to open because everyone knew the restroom was clean and no charge.

But if you feel more comfortable having the potty pass, by all means go for it.

Thanks for your very helpful post agabbymama. I have two young children that will be travelling with us as well as their granny so it helps to be prepared when it comes to "going potty"!

"At a couple of the ladies restrooms the attendant was a man and we weren't comfortable with that so moved on.

We have traveled all over Europe for the past 10 years and this is very common everywhere.They often have one attendent for both sides. I've even used rest rooms with stalls that were coed,the restroom not the stall.I guess I am just accustomed to it now but there was a time when it surprised me.

We have been to Venice several times and always just pay the 1.50 euro pay as you go method.:DThe price for the city owned super clean restroom is always 1.50 and I have never had a problem finding a "toilet" I would rather pay than 'squat" anyday.:eek:

I learned a long time ago that it is worth it to use the pay facilities as they are always really clean whereas the free ones not so much.

We were in Venice in November 2011, we prepurchased and received a discounted price with Venice Connected. They are plastic cards, kinda like a credit card, you just hand one or insert one into the turnstile to enter the restrooms. It is helpful to get the map of where they are all located. But if you are inquiring "water closet" is the term that will be most helpful in directing you to the right location.

There is not any kind of date on the cards, so they would be good anytime. It was easy not having to dig for money for DH and myself. I will say that while using the "water closets" covered by these passes, we found them to be in better condition than most and always had toliet paper handy. We did carry some with us, as many other places we not as nice and did not have paper available.

Enjoy, Venice is a great place.

This thread is interesting, information and very amusing. We have gotten good information for our visit in May. In addition, I have had a very good laugh, which has been very uplifting! Thanks!

nmi

P.S. for sbflcruiser: Go Gators!

Archived