Where ship docks in St. Thomas

11.retired

Only a hugely rare exception for any HAL ship to not dock at Crown Bay.

We were on Noordam one cruise when there were so many ships at St. Thomas, we anchored at the inner harbor and tendered. It actually was better than we expected. Tendering was handled very well, it was a tiny ride and we were dropped right in the middle of downtown Charlotte Amalie.

Edited by sail7seas

Holland America and Princess all dock at Crown Bay now. This is going to be true for the next couple of years. Also Royal Caribbean's Allure and Oasis of the Seas dock at Crown Bay once a week on either Tuesday or Wednesday. These two ships alternate between the Eastern and Western Caribbean every other week. When Oasis docks on Tuesday at Crown Bay, Allure will dock the next week on Wednesday at Crown Bay. Both ships won't dock on the same week.

If you are questioning what other ships will be in port the day you arrive you can go to ********** where you can get the run down of the ships scheduled for the day, week, or month.

Edited by GPoll189
Added more information

If I recall correctly, the contract for Princess and HAL docking at Crown Bay was ten years? Is that right? Would you say it's been 3 or 4 years they've been docking there? I wonder how many years left on the contract though it would seem they probably would renew if the reduced rate stays in place.... reduced from the costs at Havensight.

We were on Noordam one cruise when there were so many ships at St. Thomas, we anchored at the inner harbor and tendered. It actually was better than we expected. Tendering was handled very well, it was a tiny ride and we were dropped right in the middle of downtown Charlotte Amalie.

That sounds lovely, Sail. better than the other two options in St. Thomas.

Judy, we docked at Havensight in '06 on our one (and only) Princess cruise. Since then, we've docked at Crown Bay, starting in '07. That's been 6 years.

We docked many times through the years at Havensight going back to Noordam III in 1992 or so.

I liked docking at Havensight better mostly because we enjoyed the walk to town. It was just a nice distance to walk and was safe and reasonably scenic.

We can't/won't walk from Crown Bay. It's not a pretty walk and I don't feel very safe at some sections of it.... no sidewalks in areas, for one thing.

We docked many times through the years at Havensight going back to Noordam III in 1992 or so.

I liked docking at Havensight better mostly because we enjoyed the walk to town. It was just a nice distance to walk and was safe and reasonably scenic.

We can't/won't walk from Crown Bay. It's not a pretty walk and I don't feel very safe at some sections of it.... no sidewalks in areas, for one thing.

I totally agree, Judy. The walk from town to the ship is a bit dicey.

That rare exception occurred on December 30th, 2011 when Maasdam berthed at WICO (West India Company Dock) aka Havensight due to being in Code Red. Westerdam went to Crown Bay and we were supposed to be there also but were re-directed to WICO by the Port Authority. Nice change though!;)

• 4 years later...
That rare exception occurred on December 30th, 2011 when Maasdam berthed at WICO (West India Company Dock) aka Havensight due to being in Code Red. Westerdam went to Crown Bay and we were supposed to be there also but were re-directed to WICO by the Port Authority. Nice change though!;)

I woul far rather dock at Crown Bay than have Noro on board. and be in Code Red :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

It looks like I can't post a URL for the ship schedule I normally use at VI now.

Anyway, I have seen HAL ships at WICA sometimes since there is only room for two ships at Crown Bay and one of those slips is reserved for any extra large ship (QM2, Celebrity Solstice class, Royal Princess, Oasis OTS, etc.) in town. In three visits to St. Thomas on HAL (Maasdam and Amsterdam) I have always been at Crown Bay.

Edited by Modern_Viking

SapI K ir itr ia .

Sail, this thread is from the year 2012. Information contained here may be out o I tyyhink it still reasonably accurate
Edited by sail7seas