Where ship docks in St. Thomas

11.retired

Didn't HAL originally sign a 10 year contract for Crown Bay? Shouldn't it be over by now? Did they renew?

Prior to the HAL ships leaving the Caribbean at the end of April this year, all dam ships used Crown Bay as opposed to WICO/Havensight. The only exceptions were on 03 FEB 16 and 08 MAR 16 when WEDM and PRDM used one of the inner harbor anchorages and tendered due to six and five other cruise ships in port on those days. Sounds like the Crown Bay lease got renewed

Didn't HAL originally sign a 10 year contract for Crown Bay? Shouldn't it be over by now? Did they renew?

Prior to the HAL ships leaving the Caribbean at the end of April this year, all dam ships used Crown Bay as opposed to WICO/Havensight. The only exceptions were on 03 FEB 16 and 08 MAR 16 when WEDM and PRDM used one of the inner harbor anchorages and tendered due to six and five other cruise ships in port on those days. Sounds like the Crown Bay lease got renewed

I found a web site for what looks to be an excursion provider for St. Thomas. It states that the 10 year lease took effect Oct. 1, 2006. That would mean that the current lease ends with the new Caribbean season. Does anyone know for sure if the lease was renewed?

Holland America and Princess all dock at Crown Bay now. This is going to be true for the next couple of years. Also Royal Caribbean's Allure and Oasis of the Seas dock at Crown Bay once a week on either Tuesday or Wednesday. These two ships alternate between the Eastern and Western Caribbean every other week. When Oasis docks on Tuesday at Crown Bay, Allure will dock the next week on Wednesday at Crown Bay. Both ships won't dock on the same week.

If you are questioning what other ships will be in port the day you arrive you can go to ********** where you can get the run down of the ships scheduled for the day, week, or month.

Last Dec were at Crown Bay and everything was great until the mega RCL ship started unloading 5000 or so passengers on this small port. So, if you get in before them, get off early and explore the area, otherwise it will be very crowded.

One nice thing - convenient excursion right from the pier area to St. John. Very nice island and much more relaxed.

Edited by DaveOKC

First time I remember docking at Crown Bay was in 2006 on the Volendam. Particularly memorable because the very very new Noordam was there for her first visit. Initially it seemed like quite a ways from everything and a hassle to get to downtown from there but got used to it. Interestingly this past March we docked at Havensight, though not on a HAL cruise, and turned out we were surprisingly the only cruise ship in port that day. Havensight and downtown were like "ghost towns" compared to any previous visit over 22 years. Even had an almost private lunch with Gladys at her little place in town. :)

We were told on a cruise a year ago that the contract was going to be renewed.

JMO -- I hate Crown Bay.

The last time we docked in St. Thomas on a HAL cruise, the Noordam was scheduled to dock at Crown Bay, but as we approached Charlotte Amalie, the Captain announced that we had been redirected to Havensight. Although that threw our DIY plans for a bit of a loop, it was a nice change.

Did HAL ever dock at Little Krum Bay? I could definitely be mistaken but it seems like back in 2009 that's where we docked based on the red roofs I saw in the marine traffic overhead shot. :confused: Maybe it was Crown Bay - but that just didn't look right from the air :)

The cruise ship schedule for October 2016 to September 2017 is posted on the West Indian Company (WICO) site. From a cursory look it appears neither Holland America nor Princess have renewed their agreement to dock at Crown Bay, which in my opinion is great news.

Did HAL ever dock at Little Krum Bay? I could definitely be mistaken but it seems like back in 2009 that's where we docked based on the red roofs I saw in the marine traffic overhead shot. :confused: Maybe it was Crown Bay - but that just didn't look right from the air :)

Krum Bay is just around the corner from Crown Bay but it's more industrial. Maybe there was some special situation and you were docked there but it's not the norm.

The confusion comes from Google maps which labels the area where the Crown Bay Center is with it's huge dock as Little Krum Bay and farther around on the north shore of the big bay is listed as Crown Bay.

We docked there (Crown Bay Center docks) on our Christmas cruise in 2009.

Edited by summersigh

We loved it when we docked at Havensight.

A few years ago we had to take the "boat" over to Havensight as the roads were all under repair to get there. It cost $19 per person -- and only tickets could be bought on HAL. No tickets available once off the ship.

Well worth the price.