Must Cancel Epic for Feb. - Airfare crazy!

LynneL

Curious as to why you priced one-way? Of course the price will be more!

OP checked one way because flights because flights for her return are not available yet.

Curious as to why you say the price will be more if booking one ways when in fact in most instances it's simply not true.

Bill

I've haven't found in the past number of years that r/t air was cheaper than 2 one-ways. Many years ago, yes but not now.

When booking a round trip the fare is based on the price of the particular flight you pick going to your destination - certain times being more or less than others for that day - and then you select the the flight for your return. They are totaled & that's your price.

If you only purchase the flight in one direction, you are giving the exact same pricing for that portion of your trip.

I've haven't found in the past number of years that r/t air was cheaper than 2 one-ways. Many years ago, yes but not now.

When booking a round trip the fare is based on the price of the particular flight you pick going to your destination - certain times being more or less than others for that day - and then you select the the flight for your return. They are totaled & that's your price.

If you only purchase the flight in one direction, you are giving the exact same pricing for that portion of your trip.

THANK YOU!

Bill

Other things to consider would be taking the train. If you can reduce it down to one leg' date=' it should be rather competitive compared to flying. Young children are half-price. You might also get a discount code from the cruise line (I read somewhere that carnival had one, so I'd assume NCL might too).

Stick with and don't give up your cruise! :)[/quote']

I would try Amtrak. Been on it a few times. It's a long ride, but you can get up and move around. And it beats driving.

Edited by mdvlprof

I would try Amtrak. Been on it a few times. It's a long ride, but you can get up and move around. And it beats driving.

Been on LOTS of times - husband works for them : ) Couldn't leave on a Friday after work though to get to ship on Saturday using AMTRAK. But we are at least set for flying down. The train may become an option for heading home though if the fares for the return are ridiculous.

My post title should have read, "MAY have to cancel Epic..." though I wrote in a moment of despair thinking if Delta was charging so much the others are not going to be drastically different. I was wrong & hope I'm proved wrong for the return flight!

These boards are filled with many, many nice people offering positive, supportive & helpful information who talked me off the ledge a bit - lol.

We went in February of this year. We found the best deal in June. I think we paid about $300pp/rt. I watched the prices religiously and eventually they went down. I never saw them that low again. Don't cancel yet - you've got plenty of time to watch pricing.

• 5 years later...
Been on LOTS of times - husband works for them : ) Couldn't leave on a Friday after work though to get to ship on Saturday using AMTRAK. But we are at least set for flying down. The train may become an option for heading home though if the fares for the return are ridiculous.

My post title should have read, "MAY have to cancel Epic..." though I wrote in a moment of despair thinking if Delta was charging so much the others are not going to be drastically different. I was wrong & hope I'm proved wrong for the return flight!

These boards are filled with many, many nice people offering positive, supportive & helpful information who talked me off the ledge a bit - lol.

Hi LynneL,

I know this is an old post but I wanted to know if you ever got a return flight. Planning a cruise for February 2019 (presidents week) from NYC area to Miami area.

We are checking prices also. Checked for February 2018 back in oct/nov and the prices were ridiculous.

Hoping the find the right time to book. Please advise as you went through this.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi LynneL,

I know this is an old post but I wanted to know if you ever got a return flight. Planning a cruise for February 2019 (presidents week) from NYC area to Miami area.

We are checking prices also. Checked for February 2018 back in oct/nov and the prices were ridiculous.

Hoping the find the right time to book. Please advise as you went through this.

Thanks.

Airline booking information from 6 years ago is very unlikely to have any bearing on prices today.

Airline booking information from 6 years ago is very unlikely to have any bearing on prices today.

Btw, trends don’t change. Please read entire post prior to responding.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/11/whens-the-best-time-to-book-a-flight.html

Here's the best time to book a flight, according to a massive new study

• The prime booking window for U.S. domestic flights can range from three weeks to 3½ months in advance.
  • International flights are less expensive at least two months before travel dates.

Vic

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/11/whens-the-best-time-to-book-a-flight.html

Here's the best time to book a flight, according to a massive new study

•  
  • The prime booking window for U.S. domestic flights can range from three weeks to 3½ months in advance.

• International flights are less expensive at least two months before travel dates.

Vic

Thank you for the info. I did read this, however during peak holidays the rules tend to not apply. I’m unsure of the best time to book during peak holidays....specifically presidents week nyc to Mia/fll. So trying to get some real life case studies.

Thank you for the info. I did read this, however during peak holidays the rules tend to not apply. I’m unsure of the best time to book during peak holidays....specifically presidents week nyc to Mia/fll. So trying to get some real life case studies.

It's likely not going to matter from one year to the next anyway because airline flights are so dependent on supply and demand as well as the price of oil to an extent. If you're that concerned, call NCL and get them to quote adding airfare to your trip which then allows you to just pay over time while you pay for the cruise.

We have a cruise from San Juan booked in January 2019 and when they added the Distinctive Sailing promotion, we decided to go ahead and take advantage of the airfare credit by booking through NCL. Our airfare ended up being $461 roundtrip/each. We had compared best we could way in advance like you are and just said, "You know what, it's close enough and we don't have to think about it. Let's just do it."

So yeah, for two people it added another $920 to our total cruise but our airfare is taken care of and since it's through NCL, we are guaranteed to get on the ship or NCL will get us to where we need to be to get on the ship. We don't have to worry about delays or cancellations on our own since NCL handles the booking. And like I said, when we added the airfare some 5 months ago, that left us with like 15 months to still pay for it and the peace of mind that all we have to do now, is decide if we're going to use the hotel credit to get to San Juan a day early or not.

It's likely not going to matter from one year to the next anyway because airline flights are so dependent on supply and demand as well as the price of oil to an extent. If you're that concerned, call NCL and get them to quote adding airfare to your trip which then allows you to just pay over time while you pay for the cruise.

We have a cruise from San Juan booked in January 2019 and when they added the Distinctive Sailing promotion, we decided to go ahead and take advantage of the airfare credit by booking through NCL. Our airfare ended up being $461 roundtrip/each. We had compared best we could way in advance like you are and just said, "You know what, it's close enough and we don't have to think about it. Let's just do it."

So yeah, for two people it added another $920 to our total cruise but our airfare is taken care of and since it's through NCL, we are guaranteed to get on the ship or NCL will get us to where we need to be to get on the ship. We don't have to worry about delays or cancellations on our own since NCL handles the booking. And like I said, when we added the airfare some 5 months ago, that left us with like 15 months to still pay for it and the peace of mind that all we have to do now, is decide if we're going to use the hotel credit to get to San Juan a day early or not.

I did get a quote from the cruise line which sounded comparable to when I had checked back in oct/nov for February 2017 (president’s week). Wish I had started trending it earlier as it would have given me a better indication of price increases and reductions. The cruise lien price is quite high and I don’t want to book it this early and find that it drops significantly later on in the year.

It’s not a huge concern for me. I just wanted to have an idea of when best to purchase. I take all my vacations during that time (presidents week) however all my sailings have been out of nyc. First time doing a sailing out of Mia around this time of the year.

Had it just been me it would be no problem. However we are a family of 4 and trying to be economical in terms of transportation to the cruise.

I’ve set my alerts for prices so I will trend it. Thanks.

Don't fly to Miami, you fly to Fort Lauderdale and let a shuttle take you to the Port of Miami for $100. You should do the same on return. Fly round trip from/to Fort Lauderdale to save money. We always do this ..... It's too early to book this early anyhow. If they see you looking this far out they know you're a sucker and eager and will charge the top price. 120 days or less ..... 60 preferred.

Don't fly to Miami, you fly to Fort Lauderdale and let a shuttle take you to the Port of Miami for $100. You should do the same on return. Fly round trip from/to Fort Lauderdale to save money. We always do this ..... It's too early to book this early anyhow. If they see you looking this far out they know you're a sucker and eager and will charge the top price. 120 days or less ..... 60 preferred.

Depends on where you're flying from. The last two times for us, it's been cheaper to fly into Miami and just Uber to the port than to use FLL and either shuttle or Uber.

Go to flights.google.com and set up a tracker for your dates. You'll get emails anytime the prices change up or down. It's not a great way to know if they are going to go down but you can see how often they change and get an idea of how they change.

I have a tracker set up for Nassau this summer and about every 3-4 days I get an email about a change. So far, it's been up one email and down the next. Fluctuating between essentially the same prices over and over.

I did get a quote from the cruise line which sounded comparable to when I had checked back in oct/nov for February 2017 (president’s week). Wish I had started trending it earlier as it would have given me a better indication of price increases and reductions. The cruise lien price is quite high and I don’t want to book it this early and find that it drops significantly later on in the year.

It’s not a huge concern for me. I just wanted to have an idea of when best to purchase. I take all my vacations during that time (presidents week) however all my sailings have been out of nyc. First time doing a sailing out of Mia around this time of the year.

Had it just been me it would be no problem. However we are a family of 4 and trying to be economical in terms of transportation to the cruise.

I’ve set my alerts for prices so I will trend it. Thanks.

Also, flights.google.com lets you select multiple "close" airports more easily than some travel sites do. So you could check out say 3-4 close airports for your departure and 2-3 for arrivals and see what the best combination of all of them are. But keep in mind too, some airlines like Southwest do not publish their fares on any websites but their own.

You are trying to book airfare WAY TOO FAR OUT! It will get cheaper the closer you get.....keep looking at prices, but wait until you're at a non-refundable place in your cruise booking to cancel!

Yes I plan to start looking early April and hopefully best price is sometime in June. However if I find a price that is reasonably comfortable early I’m grabbing it.

Noted in my opening statement. The message is addressed to LynneL, should she chose to answer.

Thanks.

Not sure how successful you will be since she last logged on two weeks ago, last posted over a month ago, and last posted on this board one year and five months ago.