Chair Hog Encounters Valor 2-26 and 3-3-12 sailings

LKYGSR

Recently returned from a B2B on Valor. As expected the chair hogs ran wild, by 730am every sea day the majority of loungers all around the main pool areas on deck 9 and deck 10 ten were hogged. Towels, books, sunscreen, shoes, etc, etc, but no one in the seats at 9am when we were ready to start our day in the sun.

As I frequent CC, I was well voiced in the antics and the possible remedies of these hogs. I tried 3 different approaches, here are my results:

Day 1: I took the belongings left by the hogs, placed them on the deck near the chairs; DW and I settled in. About an hour later (now 2 ½ hours after chairs were hogged) the Hogs appeared. Husband Hog told Wife Hog, we will just find other spots, took their belongings and wandered around looking for seats of which there were none to be found, all hogged. No confrontation.

Day 2: I took the belongings of the hog and went to the Towel Hut, where I handed them to the fellow in the white uniform and advised him I had removed them as they had been left unattended for over 2 hours. He tells me I am not allowed to remove their belongings, only he can, I should not have done that. I stated Carnival policy that chairs cannot be reserved more than 30 minutes. He tells me I need to come to him and then he will start watching clock for 30 minutes, then he will remove them and that I need to do that next time. This time he will let me go (the nerve, like I was the one at fault here) and to tell the Hog if they show up he removed their belongings to prevent confrontation.

Day 3: I notify the fellow in the white uniform and wait 35 minutes, he never shows up. At 45 minutes I go back to him and ask him to come get the Hogs belongings, tells me he will be right there. I then watch him walk off the deck into the hallway. At that point Hog’s belongings hit the deck, and I take the chairs. White uniformed officer never shows up. Really pissed me off, I follow his rules and he doesn’t comply. Hog never shows up for their stuff.

Bottom line, Carnival does not and will not enforce their own policy. If you follow the rules, then you get barked at. What a joke.

Other than this…..Great cruise!

Recently returned from a B2B on Valor. As expected the chair hogs ran wild, by 730am every sea day the majority of loungers all around the main pool areas on deck 9 and deck 10 ten were hogged. Towels, books, sunscreen, shoes, etc, etc, but no one in the seats at 9am when we were ready to start our day in the sun.

As I frequent CC, I was well voiced in the antics and the possible remedies of these hogs. I tried 3 different approaches, here are my results:

Day 1: I took the belongings left by the hogs, placed them on the deck near the chairs; DW and I settled in. About an hour later (now 2 ½ hours after chairs were hogged) the Hogs appeared. Husband Hog told Wife Hog, we will just find other spots, took their belongings and wandered around looking for seats of which there were none to be found, all hogged. No confrontation.

Day 2: I took the belongings of the hog and went to the Towel Hut, where I handed them to the fellow in the white uniform and advised him I had removed them as they had been left unattended for over 2 hours. He tells me I am not allowed to remove their belongings, only he can, I should not have done that. I stated Carnival policy that chairs cannot be reserved more than 30 minutes. He tells me I need to come to him and then he will start watching clock for 30 minutes, then he will remove them and that I need to do that next time. This time he will let me go (the nerve, like I was the one at fault here) and to tell the Hog if they show up he removed their belongings to prevent confrontation.

Day 3: I notify the fellow in the white uniform and wait 35 minutes, he never shows up. At 45 minutes I go back to him and ask him to come get the Hogs belongings, tells me he will be right there. I then watch him walk off the deck into the hallway. At that point Hog’s belongings hit the deck, and I take the chairs. White uniformed officer never shows up. Really pissed me off, I follow his rules and he doesn’t comply. Hog never shows up for their stuff.

Bottom line, Carnival does not and will not enforce their own policy. If you follow the rules, then you get barked at. What a joke.

I get what you're saying. It's aggravating. But when you went from complaining about ONE person (who, I would suggest, is not an officer. An officer and a pool attendant are two different people). Then your last paragraph you generalized it as Carnival doesn't enforce their rules. It sounds like it was ONE person, not a whole cruise line.

Although I don't care for chair hogs, I don't get my knickers in a knot over it. I just go find somewhere else to sit. *IF* I have to sit somewhere, move their stuff and be done with it. I don't find it necessary to go tattle-telling.

The OP was not tattle-telling. They were doing what was the right thing to do - letting a Carnival employee know that belonging had been left in a chair for over 30 minutes. Notifying an employee of something that is against Carnival's policy is not tattle-telling. Also, it does not look to me that the OP was getting their "knickers in a knot" over anything. They stated what happened in each instance and how the handled it - no knicker knotting!

I say "way to go LKYGSR!".

I get what you're saying. It's aggravating. But when you went from complaining about ONE person (who, I would suggest, is not an officer. An officer and a pool attendant are two different people). Then your last paragraph you generalized it as Carnival doesn't enforce their rules. It sounds like it was ONE person, not a whole cruise line.

Although I don't care for chair hogs, I don't get my knickers in a knot over it. I just go find somewhere else to sit. *IF* I have to sit somewhere, move their stuff and be done with it. I don't find it necessary to go tattle-telling.

Agree, probably not an officer, allthough I watched him giving orders to other team members on the deck for 2 weeks. I think that staff represent their employer. Yep, just one person in this case, and he represents Carnival. As far as tattle telling, I was trying to get the Carnival Team to do what their policy says they should do, testing the waters, if you will, and these are the results. I don't recall hearing many stories about attempting to address the issue with Carnival while on board; most hog threads just say I put their stuff on the deck.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Good going! Perhaps next time just drop off the items and say "I believe someone left these behind since no one has been around for hours" and walk away!>

WAY TO GO! BUT, I tried that, I had a run in with a chair-hog on the Liberty when I tried to find someplace to sit and eat my Guy burger during sunset. it was horrible, the woman just screamed at me as if I shoved the burger in her face. All I did was take a wet towel on an open lounger and move it to the wet towel with open lounger next to it. There were 2 chairs with wet towels. It wasn't even her chair, but the chair of her son, who, NEVER DID SHOW UP! Never again! My kids were motified at the way the woman came over to me and started screaming at me.

Now I booked an aft-wrap, I'll show up and watch the ice carvings or hairy chest contest and then report back to my available lounger on my aft wrap. That's even if I have the energy to even waste my time going up to the pool area during the day, I didn't last time I was on the Liberty.

I don't know what it is about the Valor but it seems to have more chair hogs per capita than any other ship. Certainly the week we were on it, it was awful. You literally could not get a chair anywhere on sea days.

I think the best option is to do something I read once. Remove the items, take the chair and move it somewhere near. When the person comes back (if they do) they look around with no idea where their chair went.

chair hogs, chair schmogs......I'll take them on any day! I paid for my seat on deck and if I see a chair that has been hogged I will ask my waiter take care of it (most of them will) or move the crap myself. And I dare any of them to bark at me like I did something wrong. Anyone that has to sneak up on deck at 6:30 am (my DH watches them every morning when he goes up for a cup o Joe) to 'save seats' is plain selfish. Trust me, most of them will collect their things and scurry away nothing said, the others that make snide remarks are the ones that like attention so give it to them loud and clear so all can hear!

I don't know what it is about the Valor but it seems to have more chair hogs per capita than any other ship. Certainly the week we were on it, it was awful. You literally could not get a chair anywhere on sea days.

I think the best option is to do something I read once. Remove the items, take the chair and move it somewhere near. When the person comes back (if they do) they look around with no idea where their chair went.

Good idea! Not gonna tolerate people hogging chairs for 2 hours.

Love it when they send out one person to sit and protect the chairs for all the others. They sit in the middle of about four or five chairs and dare anyone to sit. Last cruise we spent most our time on deck three of Liberty. Very peaceful. Don't miss the belly flop contest or the hairy chest contest. Been there, done that.

I've never been on the Pride, but I have been on other ships, so I'm assuming their are lounge chairs on the deck around the pool as well one deck up from that. If that is the case on the Pride, should I expect that the chair hogs mostly claim the chairs around the pool or do they also claim the chairs the next deck up?

Thanks for the daily dets. on adventures in Hogland. Who's worse now, the Hogs or the staff? :p Kinda feel sorry for the staff being stuck in the middle of a situation.

Now, THAT'S a do-able solution! I'm an expert chair mover. :D After 30-40 minutes of a no-show, I take the "you move, you loose" approach and stake claim.

Good for you...

I've never been on the Pride, but I have been on other ships, so I'm assuming their are lounge chairs on the deck around the pool as well one deck up from that. If that is the case on the Pride, should I expect that the chair hogs mostly claim the chairs around the pool or do they also claim the chairs the next deck up?

Mostly around the pool. Have never noticed a lot of CHing on the upper deck, but it will fill as the day goes on.

We were on the 2-26 cruise of the Valor with you. We do not lay out in the sun or use the loungers, but we are up early walking around. The Valor did seem to have more than it's share of chair hogs. We walked through the mid pool area several times on a sea day and the first 3 tiers of the deck had all the chairs with stuff on them and a new thing, the back of the lounger folded over it. All those chairs taken and there was maybe 5 or 6 that were really occupied.

chair hogs, chair schmogs......I'll take them on any day! I paid for my seat on deck and if I see a chair that has been hogged I will ask my waiter take care of it (most of them will) or move the crap myself. And I dare any of them to bark at me like I did something wrong. Anyone that has to sneak up on deck at 6:30 am (my DH watches them every morning when he goes up for a cup o Joe) to 'save seats' is plain selfish. Trust me, most of them will collect their things and scurry away nothing said, the others that make snide remarks are the ones that like attention so give it to them loud and clear so all can hear!

DITTO :) I also have no problem in moving someones towel, that has been there for hours. Like you said, Bring Em on :)

On Valor, it was all the chairs on Lido and the deck above. Any chair that had a view of the pool or main stage was hogged. I even went into Serenity area one morning around 7am and every single spot was taken, yet there was only one person actually using a lounger.

This is perfect. LOVE it!!!;)

Muhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!:p

We were on the 2-26 cruise of the Valor with you. We do not lay out in the sun or use the loungers, but we are up early walking around. The Valor did seem to have more than it's share of chair hogs. We walked through the mid pool area several times on a sea day and the first 3 tiers of the deck had all the chairs with stuff on them and a new thing, the back of the lounger folded over it. All those chairs taken and there was maybe 5 or 6 that were really occupied.

Hi Rita!!! :D

I noticed a couple of mornings that when the staff brough out the chairs, some would fold the back down, others would not. I also noticed that the wind would push the back down. As I watched other hogs come into the area, I noticed thay would drop their stuff and fold the backs down as well.

Archived