Brazilian Visa

Hi - We're getting our Brazilian Visa on our own - much less expensive. We know the visa service we're using from when my husband traveled a great deal internationally, but if you Google it, you should find visa services near your home.

Hi - We're getting our Brazilian Visa on our own - much less expensive. We know the visa service we're using from when my husband traveled a great deal internationally, but if you Google it, you should find visa services near your home.

How much is "less expensive" ??? Our invoice recently sent by our travel agent shows a fee for the visa of $299.

We are new to Regent and just want to say thanks to everyone who posts for their helpful advice and information

You can't get it for $125 thru a visa service because the Brazilian Embassy charges $165 for a visa.... so the cost thru your visa service will be at least $290 + at least $10 for the money order fee (the Embassy won't accept cash or a credit card) + whatever they charge for UPS or FedEx shipping to/from, which will probably be about $60, for a total of at least $350.

Currently, there is a LOT of buzz in the news that Brazil may become part of the USA Visa Waiver Program. If so, Brazil will drop their Visa requirements for US citizens, as they are based on reciprocity. Brazil has been a "roadmap" country, eligible for the VWP, for about 6 years. The primary reason the USA has a restictive Visa policy towards Brazil is a concern about excessive Brazilian immigration. There are so many economic benefits to making it easier for free-spending Brazilian tourists, however, that talk about granting them the waiver is spreading exponentially.

Of course, that doesn't help anyone who is heading for Brazil relatively soon, but I find it interesting that the escalating visa contest between the USA and Brazil may soon be over ("soon" being a relative term).

Currently, there is a LOT of buzz in the news that Brazil may become part of the USA Visa Waiver Program. If so, Brazil will drop their Visa requirements for US citizens, as they are based on reciprocity. Brazil has been a "roadmap" country, eligible for the VWP, for about 6 years. The primary reason the USA has a restictive Visa policy towards Brazil is a concern about excessive Brazilian immigration. There are so many economic benefits to making it easier for free-spending Brazilian tourists, however, that talk about granting them the waiver is spreading exponentially.

Of course, that doesn't help anyone who is heading for Brazil relatively soon, but I find it interesting that the escalating visa contest between the USA and Brazil may soon be over ("soon" being a relative term).

Don, really interesting information. The U.S. really "sticks it" to many countries (Brazil included). They respond in kind. In terms off Brazil, the cost of a visa is currently fairly expensive. Anyone who has dual citizenship (two passports) can really benefit from using many non-U.S. passports. My DH uses his British passport and has no requirement to purchase a visa.

I have used Zierer Visa Services several times over the years. It is the same service that Regent uses. Pricing will depend on whether you need expedited service. Their website is http://www.zvs.com and you can go there and compare prices with other services you might have found by googling.

I was thinking of driving to Atlanta to get my visa (they will do it in one day if you arrange appointment in advance). However, a full day and $80 in gas may not be the smartest investment. I am thinking of mailing directly to Brazilian Consulate instead. Of course, given the strict requirements, I amy choose to use Zierer. Even if Brazil is admitted to VWP, it won't happen soon enough.

Now, I just have to find a place to get yellow fever shots. :(

Marc

I have used visahq.com with good results. They charge $249 total for a brazilian visa. They are very efficient.

As far as yellow fever shots, just call your local visiting nurse association. They should be able to get you in quickly.

Unfortunately not all counties have that vaccine available through Public Heath, so check first. Mine did not. I had to go to Passport Health in my area, could find no other. Beware, Passport Health may sometimes recommend shots not required. Of course we know that we have to do what Regent says, but for instance getting off the ship in Rio when only landing for first port in Brazil and just heading to the airport to return to US, it is not required from my research, but Regent wants it. My daughter was going to Vietnam several years ago for work, and got sold the Yellow Fever shot, even thought not required. When she objected after the fact with documentation from CDC, they quickly reversed the charge on her credit card.

I was thinking of driving to Atlanta to get my visa (they will do it in one day if you arrange appointment in advance). However, a full day and $80 in gas may not be the smartest investment. I am thinking of mailing directly to Brazilian Consulate instead. Of course, given the strict requirements, I amy choose to use Zierer. Even if Brazil is admitted to VWP, it won't happen soon enough.

Now, I just have to find a place to get yellow fever shots. :(

Marc

Yellow fever shots? Unless you are going inland, you don't need it.

CDC doesn't recommend it for coastal cities including Rio.

Yellow fever shots? Unless you are going inland, you don't need it.

CDC doesn't recommend it for coastal cities including Rio.

Find out if Regent requires you to have this or not. When we went, they did, although in the end, they did not check very carefully.

Find out if Regent requires you to have this or not. When we went, they did, although in the end, they did not check very carefully.

At the time I went, Brazil had no requirements, so I didn't get anything. Turns out everybody else had gotten shots because Regent apparently did want it. They didn't check for it, though. Phew!

I don't understand about the yellow fever shots. CDC says it's not needed for Salvador, Recife, or Rio. The RSSC web site, at http://www.rssc.com/media/questions/passport-visa.pdf , says that Brazil requires the shots, and that you must have the international certificate of yellow fever vaccination in order to obtain a visa. I did not see that requirement on the Brazil visa web site.

Can anyone clarify this?

Brazil does not require yellow fever shots and it is NOT needed to obtain a visa. But Regent will ask you to show your yellow fever shot before you board the ship although supposedly they will let you board without one... but reluctantly.

I don't understand about the yellow fever shots. CDC says it's not needed for Salvador, Recife, or Rio. The RSSC web site, at http://www.rssc.com/media/questions/passport-visa.pdf , says that Brazil requires the shots, and that you must have the international certificate of yellow fever vaccination in order to obtain a visa. I did not see that requirement on the Brazil visa web site.

Can anyone clarify this?

Check with Regent for up to date information about their requirements.

Some countries ask for proof this immunization *after* you have visited Brazil, and it's difficult always to prove what parts you visited.

We needed the shots when we cruised 1,000 miles up the Amazon to Manaus on Oceania Regatta (Regent's sister cruise line), but did not need them for a subsequent cruise on Oceania Insignia to Salvador, Recife and Rio, even though we arrived there from Cape Verde. My suggestion would be to print out a copy of the CDC requirements and carry that if you don't have the yellow fever shots, and show that if you are questioned. Of course, if the boarding agent got up out of the wrong side of bed, that might not work.

Our local county health department gave us the shots for, I believe, $100, but that was 5 years ago and my memory fades...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I was wondering if the cruise lines have any questions, problems when your husband boards without a visa? I am worried that the cruise line will want a visa because I have US passport as well as Irish. Has he used British passport to Brazil?

Sorry, but I found your post a bit confusing. Either you need to be traveling with a passport from a country that does not require a visa (U.K. works) or have a visa in order to board the ship.

When we visited Brazil, my husband (a dual citizen - U.S./U.K.) used his British passport without a visa. We asked Regent to use his U.I. passport for this sailing. I used my U.S. passport with a visa. We had no difficulty at all. In my opinion, it is important not to confuse the issue by presenting two passports. Just make sure that Regent has the passport numbersyou are using in their computer and that everything is up to date.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

My wife and I just dropped our Visa applications off at the Consulate of Brazil in downtown Washington. A very easy experience. Their web site is very easy to follow. The cost went up in April and now is $160.00 each and payable only in US Postal Money Orders (requies xash at the Post Office). The location is on the ground floor of a large office bulding (large Brazilan flag out front). The security guard greeting you will hand you a waiting number which will be called in Portugese and English and portrayed electronically when your turn comes. Our wait at (9 AM) was 5 minutes! The waiting area is clean, spacious and neat.

Tips: bring your Regent invoice statement (one copy for each person) showing that you have paid, what your contact in Brazil will be (the ship), and when you arrive in Brazil and when you leave Brazil. Have a separate Postal Order for each person.

We pick up the Visas and our U.S. passports in two weeks.

A very nice experience (so far).

Yellow fever shot is not required. Regent asked for our certificate but when I told them we opted not to get the shot there was no problem at all. We got right on the ship.

Regent recommends the shot but it is a personal decision whether to get it or not.

Archived