Binoculars and Monoculars

chandrisellinis

If I remember correctly there was a kiosk in the terminal in Vancouver where they were selling binoculars. I did not stop to note what kind.

If you are in a deluxe suite they are provided.

Get them before you go - for sure! The ones they sell at the dock really aren't the ones you need - wide angle, and will provide little, if any benefit. There is a great thread on the Alaska boards about binoculars, and Budget Queen, an Alaskan "expert" just gave her recommendation on a separate thread. Go to a store, try them out and see what works and "feels" best for you. Last year, my niece and her boyfriend brought some binoculars from home that were ok, not spectacular, and then bought a pair at a sporting goods store in Kodiak (we were on the 14 day itinerary) for a reasonable price and they are GREAT! Of course, the trip was almost over by then and they were lamenting the fact that they didn't have them earlier - while borrowing mine that I had carefully researched and purchased prior to sailing:D.

Wide angle binoculars aren't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you have decent magnification. I have a pair of 12x50 that are excellent. Sometimes, with wide angle, it's easier to find your target. I also have a pair of narrower field of view 10x25 compacts that I carry and use. If you can manage to stuff them in your baggage you will be better off to buy them at home and take them with you.

We forgot to bring our Nikon binoculars, so had to buy them on the ship…but they had excellent ones for less than $100 on a special…Nikon 7x35 9.3 degrees. Those are the ones we now prefer to our old ones we had forgotten to bring along. The price was very good.

Having been on a number of Alaskan cruises, I would say that a pair of binoculars can only heighten the cruise. My recommendation is to buy the best optics that you can afford. Money spent on optics should be considered an investment for many years. You get what you pay for.... I would look at 8 power by 35 or 50mm. Makes you should investigate include Sworaski,Ziess,Leica,Nikon, Minolta, etc.

Many thanks for all the great suggestions. :)

Flying from Australia and trying to cut back on luggage which is why

was hoping to buy on ship or in Seattle.

May need to review other items and not bring items such as suit or books

as not keen on extra bag as we continue travels after the cruise.:confused:

Instead of physical books bring an e-reader. Can have hundreds of books at your disposal that way!

Of course, if you buy them, you will have to pack them in your luggage to take home.

Need to buy these for an Alaskan cruise , would suit to leave purchase until

on board has anyone noticed if HA sell VORTEX on board.

Check out this site

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/spring99/binos.html

Also this one

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Not sure how current the models are, however.

DON

Our cabin on the Noordam last fall included the "free" HAL binos. The were large, unwieldy, and low powered. Luckily, we had brought my "Alaska" binos, so we left the free ones in the cabin. Our compact Nikon is small, lightweight, and produces crisp, clear images at extreme ranges.

PS: aliaschief is right. Bring a pair for everyone in your party. You will not enjoy sharing. :)

Archived