Venice No More Amazing Sailaways

Shogun

We spent 4 days pre-cruise in Venice in 2007 for our honeymoon. We loved every minute we were there and thought we actually saw a good portion of Venice. Then we boarded the Emerald Princess for her maiden voyage across the Atlantic, and as we sailed out of Venice we were amazed at how much we had missed. It was truly an amazing sight and is on the top of our favorite places. There is nothing like seeing it from the Aloha deck of the Emerald. We sat on our balcony, drank wine and ate cheese, while listeing to Andre and Sarah sing to us as we departed the most romantic city in the world (to us anyway). We can't wait to go back.

Beg to differ, we sailed out of Venice last August and had an aft balcony cabin, the view was simply awsome.

Hope we can do it again before any new route is implimented.

Best is sailaway from Venice on Port side as you will get a great view of St. Mark's Square. The light is still great and many boats are still out.

Aft, you would see a great view of Venice of both sides of the city of the channel, but wouldn't you only get a side view of St. Mark's Basilica as the sails right by St. Mark's Square? Depends on what you think is important.

Sailed away from Venice with the loudspeakers on deck playing "Time to Say Goodbye" with Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman's lovely voices...a memory we will always cherish...get goosebumps thinking about it...:)

:( They are no longer allowed to play music or make announcements over the loudspeakers while sailing out of Venice, so we missed that part.

Putting on my flame retardant suit, so here goes...

IF the change in route ever happens, I don't consider it a bad thing. Nor do I have a problem with cruise lines pulling back from blasting sail away music. While you may enjoy the current route and music while on your ship, the tens of thousands of other visitors to (not to mention residents of) Venice should be able to enjoy the beautiful, old, "small scaled" city for what it is, without the interference, visual or auditory, of 1,000 foot cruise ships. While I know that people here are all "cruise junkies", imagine what a week in Venice would be like for all those land-based travelers who do not share your love of leviathans and who book canal-front hotels in Venice. How many times does a huge vessel have to pass by blaring "Time To Say Good-Bye" before their Venice vacation starts to resemble Epcot more so than the real Venice. Your view of Venice from the ship is great. Their view of you from land...not so much. From your perspective, this is a once-in-a lifetime event that is over in an hour. From their perspective, this is a ten-times-a week event that interferes with the natural and architectual beauty that makes Venice Venice.

Princess gives you a land day in Venice on many itineraries that leave from there, and even if it didn't, you should book one (or three) yourself. Plenty of time to see the sights, the canals and listen to Josh Groban and Adrea Bocelli on your own terms at your own personal volume. No reason for cruise ships to bombard this city daily. One person's "amazing sailaway" is another person's nuisance.

IF the change in route ever happens, I don't consider it a bad thing. Nor do I have a problem with cruise lines pulling back from blasting sail away music. While you may enjoy the current route and music while on your ship, the tens of thousands of other visitors to (not to mention residents of) Venice should be able to enjoy the beautiful, old, "small scaled" city for what it is, without the interference, visual or auditory, of 1,000 foot cruise ships. While I know that people here are all "cruise junkies", imagine what a week in Venice would be like for all those land-based travelers who do not share your love of leviathans and who book canal-front hotels in Venice. How many times does a huge vessel have to pass by blaring "Time To Say Good-Bye" before their Venice vacation starts to resemble Epcot more so than the real Venice. Your view of Venice from the ship is great. Their view of you from land...not so much. From your perspective, this is a once-in-a lifetime event that is over in an hour. From their perspective, this is a ten-times-a week event that interferes with the natural and architectual beauty that makes Venice Venice.

Princess gives you a land day in Venice on many itineraries that leave from there, and even if it didn't, you should book one (or three) yourself. Plenty of time to see the sights, the canals and listen to Josh Groban and Adrea Bocelli on your own terms at your own personal volume. No reason for cruise ships to bombard this city daily. One person's "amazing sailaway" is another person's nuisance.

I'm in total agreement with you. Venice will only remain the gem that it is if it's protected and not allowed to become overrun. From what I've read, depending on the tide, the wake from a cruise ship can flood St. Mark's square. If ships are in anyway contributing to the erosion of the Venice foundation, they should be sent in another direction. If the Italian authorities move too slow to save the city, that's their fault - but cruise lines should take things like this into consideration and do the right thing - otherwise no one will want to visit Venice anymore.

But then I'm from San Francisco and we're all about conserving things - call me crazy.

:) Since Cruise Critic does not have a "like" button, I will use a smiley face. Completely agree with you.

Shirley

I fully support any measures that are taken to preserve the beauty of Venice. If that results in the cruise port being moved or the sailway not going down the canal so be it.

I rather see Venice by foot than no Venice at all.

I'm in total agreement with you. Venice will only remain the gem that it is if it's protected and not allowed to become overrun. From what I've read, depending on the tide, the wake from a cruise ship can flood St. Mark's square. If ships are in anyway contributing to the erosion of the Venice foundation, they should be sent in another direction. If the Italian authorities move too slow to save the city, that's their fault - but cruise lines should take things like this into consideration and do the right thing - otherwise no one will want to visit Venice anymore.

But then I'm from San Francisco and we're all about conserving things - call me crazy.

Well, IMHO, you do live in the most beautiful American city.

• 3 months later...
Hi All

Venice is sinking by 2mm a year not alot but when parts are already below water level then it is an issue, but the water level is also going up by 2mm so a 4mm change is not good,

Having sailed into Venice for me it is the greatest sail in better than sailing out reason being you sot the city many miles away when you are so far out at sea all you see is a tiny dot, as the hours go by this dot keeps getting bigger then you start to work out buildings then you start to wonder where is the captain going, there is no entrance then you see it,

but we will not fit down that canal, but as the ship slows, tugs arrive and you go to a walking speed as you follow the canal past St Marks and other amazing sites.

one day this will end, but lets hope not within the next two years

yours Shogun

Interesting article on the "Death of Venice". Be sure to look at the flooding pictures.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/death-in-venice-an-italian-idyll-fights-for-its-very-survival-a-747429.html

First of all, I don't give this any chance of ever happening... given the economy in Italy, there's simply no budget for this kind of project (dredging a new channel). The country is on the verge of bankruptcy due to a generation of spending beyond their means. I reckon the country along with most of Europe is going to experience a recession that consumes the next generation. :(

Secondly, Why would they bother? What's the business case? Tourism and cruise traffic is the only thing that keeps Venice alive... it is an "attraction" not a "city". Who's complaining? The tourists? The service industry? They're the only ones there. (FACT: More people visit Venice every day than live there!) :rolleyes:

Thirdly, Even if it somehow does happen, it's not the end of the world. You can see Venice from the water on a dozen different water craft. :)

For what it's worth, we were on the Celebrity Silhouette a month ago and had a glorious sail away down the Grand Canal past St. Marks. I got amazing photos. No discussion about any changes, so I agree with above posters that all is sill well.

For what it's worth, we were on the Celebrity Silhouette a month ago and had a glorious sail away down the Grand Canal past St. Marks. I got amazing photos. No discussion about any changes, so I agree with above posters that all is sill well.

Sorry, but you did not sail down the Grand Canal - no cruise ship could possibly sail down the Grand Canal. That was Giudecca Canal you sailed along.

Ira

Nice to hear you enjoyed your sailaway from Venice. I'm really, really, really looking forward to mine on October 10, 2013!:D I don't mind where the ships sails past. I am going to be overjoyed just being on the ship on onto a great adventure!

FYI many cruise ships are now sailing in and out in the middle of the night . We have a 4 am sail in and evening departure. I am sure that we all will miss the daylight sailings, music other routes. But will remain special place, that one can enjoy.

Will be on the October 10 sailing of the Ruby, and am quite disappointed that playing Bocelli and Brightman on the speaker system is no longer allowed.

I will have to take my iTouch up on deck so I can hear that wonderful song as we sail out of port and past those awesome sights.

In 2010 we sailed into Venice in the morning on a beautiful sunny day while Pavaroti (?sp) was playing on the speakers. It was an awesome experience, I love his music! We kept going all over the upper decks catching all the views. Venice was the end of our cruise but we had a full day and overnight there. I am so glad we had that ecperience.

On the other hand on the same cruise we began it sailing out of Barcelona. The music that was blaring out over the speakers was from the Olympics. A woman was screatching (to us) and we thought it was horrible and hurt our ears. Thus I can understand why the citizens of Venice wouldn't want that loud music all the time. In Barcelona we were not as close to where people live as in Venice.

Music is so subjective I guess it's best to not have it blaring, but it sure enhanced our entrance to Venice.

Sorry, Ira, for having misidentified The Giudecca Canal. Must be still in my happy post-cruise fog :-). Still, we certainly saw St. Marks and the Dodge's Palace and I have glorious photos.

Me too. I have a video of our sailaway on the Ruby in 2009. Wonder if it will still be be as glorious next year on the Royal TA.

Ira

I've sailed out twice, and sailed in once... To us the sail in was a more moving experience and more emotional, as you experience the approach for what seems like quite a long time with Venice slowing coming into view, and the details becoming sharper and sharper as you get closer. With the sail out you experience everything rather quickly as within a few minutes of departing the dock you're passing the Grand canal and PZA San Marcos, and it seems (to me anyway) while the rest of the sail out continues to be beautiful, the emotional impact is over pretty quick.

Just another Venice viewpoint

Srpilo

First of all, I don't give this any chance of ever happening... given the economy in Italy, there's simply no budget for this kind of project (dredging a new channel). The country is on the verge of bankruptcy due to a generation of spending beyond their means. I reckon the country along with most of Europe is going to experience a recession that consumes the next generation. :(

Secondly, Why would they bother? What's the business case? Tourism and cruise traffic is the only thing that keeps Venice alive... it is an "attraction" not a "city". Who's complaining? The tourists? The service industry? They're the only ones there. (FACT: More people visit Venice every day than live there!) :rolleyes:

Thirdly, Even if it somehow does happen, it's not the end of the world. You can see Venice from the water on a dozen different water craft. :)

I agree with you this is just a wish list. With the economy of Italy this will be years happening. They not have the flood control done yet and it was start years ago.

If Venice did not want Cruises ships why did they just open a new cruise terminal at Maritime. It is across from the old one and is very modern. We saw it when we were on the Pacific Princess early this month. Cruise passengers bring a lot of income to Venice.

Since it'll be my first time to Europe, and my first time sailing out of Venice, I know I will be just thrilled to be there looking at those amazing views for however long I can see them!!

Archived