Big Formal Decision in Our House.......

sail7seas

My boyfriend does what a lot of men on here seem to do. 1 pair of black dress shoes, a tux, and a sport coat or something for less formal nights.

I think if we were to decide to not bring formal it would be not bring it at all (which means eat in the lido right lol). I'm not sure if we'd ever come to that decision but i have to say I wish there was a way to lighten the load. 50lbs of luggage checked plus a carryon and a personal item is quite annoying but somehow I feel like i "NEED" everything. I know i dont, but for some reason, mentally i do.

Sigh. Packing is definitely a sport.

Sail I am totally with you on this and truly wish HAL would just have all Smart Casual Nights. Or maybe one night that is Semi Formal or what ever they use to call them.

As we were dressing for Formal nights on last weeks cruise both nights we were both complaining as we got dresses. So then we said well if a certain Good Friend (Officer ;) ) will not be on board the Zuiderdam in 6 in weeks Tom was not going to bring his Tux and I might not bring my fancier Formal dresses. Alaska really is far more dressed down than any of the itineraries. This past cruise has so few men in Tuxes although many of the ladies were dressed nicely. But we have confirmed this good friend will be on board unless something drastic happens in the next few weeks. So I guess we will be packing the extra.

We spoke about this with our friends that traveled with us this last week and they actually were surprised that we were ready to get rid of the Formal nights but I think the thing is after you do so many cruises and cruise often the novelty of dressing up goes away.

I still enjoy wearing my tux, and plan to take it on cruises that are 7 days and longer. Have never felt out of place in my tux on formal night on Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, HAL nor Royal Caribbean.

When you analyze it, the weight of a tux equals that of a suit. The weight of tux shirts equals that of long-sleeve dress shirts. Bowtie plus cumberbun plus studs/links equals the weight of neckties plus cufflinks. I just don't see any savings on packing. Black dress shoes equal the weight of tux shoes. (Yes, I wear black dress shoes with my tux, as well as with a grey suit.)

So, I'll continue to take the tux, plus a sport coat/blazer and slacks.

It's nice to have choices, and HAL provides lots of lattitude on attire for gentlemen.

AG

I so agree with you!!

Me too!

Bear and others?

If you happened to be invited to dine with an Officer would you feel differently about not having a tuxedo with you?

During our last cruise, the Captain invited guests to dine at his table.

None of the male passengers were wearing tuxedos.

They wore suits and dark blazers.

The other part of two fold is we're tired of it. As we see the diminishing interest by most around us, we have been worn down and concede. It's over. Over 70 HAL cruises and we have never gone to a ship without proper formal clothes. We are ready to comply with what HAL now defines as formal.

For us, that is barely what we used to wear for semi-formal but we don't write the definitions. HAL has dumbed it down and we will be in compliance.

We held out as long as we can but it's over for us.

I understand. I find it sad, but I certainly understand. We do what we want, and when we don't want to do it anymore, we stop doing it. Likewise, if we discover we want to do it again ... we always can.

You're so nice, Greg, and I thank you. :)

He has always worn his suits 'well' and enjoyed a beautiful wardrobe but we're older, slower, and not as svelte. Time has marched on. :)

Sigh ... true, time does "move on." I wish there were some way we could slow down the march of time, but that's beyond us still. And, all that aside, the two of you will always look good ... no matter what you wear. One of my favorite photos of you is the one taken in the group shop with some other CCers (myself included, to your immediate left) aboard the Noordam. It's a great photo, pictured against a white background. You look fabulous in that photo. And it wasn't even a formal night!

I don't understand the logic of ditching a tux, which your DH obviously already owns, for a dark suit. They both take up the same amount of luggage space. Putting on a tux may be a little more difficult, but IMO not that much.

I know there is no reason for you to bother but I really did state all that a few times earlier in the thread. :D

We're ditching a few tux shirts as the business shirts he will wear with suit, he can also wear with trousers/no jacket or with blazer.... they will be sent out for laundering. He would have needed those shirts even if he brought the tux.

We're ditching black shoes. DH only wears black shoes with his tuxedo.

He has a closet full of suits (and shoes) and none are black. He has every conservative color you can name but he does not wear black suits. Very dark charcoal, yes...navy, many colors of brown and tan and pinstripes and glen plaids etc but no black. :) Thus, he does not wear black shoes. The shoes he will wear with his suit, he can wear with trousers with or without his sports jacket.

I am ditching some of the more formal things I would have dragged with us if he was in tuxedo. We are saving about 20 pounds of clothing we don't want and are happy to do so.

We have been very lucky to dine at a number of Officer's tables through the years and there are fewer gentlemen wearing tux at The Table. Were we to be asked again to some Officer's Table, DH would be okay about wearing a dark suit but not a sports jacket..... but that is just us. HAL says the jacket and tie is formal and thus it would be fine. He's just too used to wearing suits to want to do that.

I don't understand the logic of ditching a tux, which your DH obviously already owns, for a dark suit. They both take up the same amount of luggage space. Putting on a tux may be a little more difficult, but IMO not that much.

It is actually very different because most men will bring both a pair of dress shoes and their Formal Tux shoes , then there is the extra Tux shirts, then the box that holds all the fancy buttons for the tux shirts. Not taking all this would definitely save weight and space. My DH usually brings his tux and a dark sports coat so eliminating the tux and all that goes with it would save a lot.

Sail I am totally with you on this and truly wish HAL would just have all Smart Casual Nights. Or maybe one night that is Semi Formal or what ever they use to call them.

As we were dressing for Formal nights on last weeks cruise both nights we were both complaining as we got dresses. So then we said well if a certain Good Friend (Officer ;) ) will not be on board the Zuiderdam in 6 in weeks Tom was not going to bring his Tux and I might not bring my fancier Formal dresses. Alaska really is far more dressed down than any of the itineraries. This past cruise has so few men in Tuxes although many of the ladies were dressed nicely. But we have confirmed this good friend will be on board unless something drastic happens in the next few weeks. So I guess we will be packing the extra.

We spoke about this with our friends that traveled with us this last week and they actually were surprised that we were ready to get rid of the Formal nights but I think the thing is after you do so many cruises and cruise often the novelty of dressing up goes away.

Yes, Lisa. I understand. :)

Happy you will see your friend.

We are very much looking forward to seeing a few of ours who we have not seen for a while. Among the cruises we have booked, it should be some happy reunions. :)

I'm a little confused. What does your level of education have to do with other peoples opinion on formal wear?

Ditto. That one didn't make any sense to me, either ... and I've got a wall in my office papered with sheepskins.

Tuxes have nothing to do with education levels. They are merely clothes...;) My point was directed at those below who were slamming Sail's decision to de-formalize somewhat. The clothes do not make the man. I just want to know where and in what company those recoiling in horror reside. I was just noticing on my last cruise that the people at our tables were middle class- like me. I have yet to meet anyone who would seem to care one whit about who wears a tuxedo. Yet, on Cruisecritic- huge deal.

I don't know who you're talking about, but I wasn't "recoiling in horror." Nor did I see anybody "recoiling in horror." I do sympathize with her sadness at that decision, however.

Obviously, I am somewhat conflicted and saddened in a way or would not have discussed it ad nauseum a good part of today. :eek: I feel sad it's a notable change in our HAL experience. It is somewhat but not entirely voluntary and as we get older, change becomes harder to accept.

At least I find that to be the case for me.

I have wonderful photos and memories of us dressed to the max and there's a noticeable point where my dresses became 'less so'.

Ditto. That one didn't make any sense to me, either ... and I've got a wall in my office papered with sheepskins.

Did you read my explanation yet?

There were some pretty hard slams to Sail for her post- just look at the one referencing boarding in our underwear.

When I am cruising I meet people who I can only describe as middle class, LIKE ME. In fact, I have met one other lawyer, no doctors, definitely not Bill Gates, and while I am sure many of you are extremely well off, as evidenced by your ability to travel so well, I personally have not met people who look like they go to black tie events so often that they would be scandalized if others decided not to. I have only ever met fun, comfortable, outgoing, seemingly sensible people who enjoy life, meeting others, and having fun. That clashes with a few of the other posts below.

Hence my Downton Abbey reference. Like it or not, there is always a hint of snobbery in the formal wear posts. I have not met any snobs cruising! Far from it. Far from it. And I am the farthest from it you will ever meet. My husband is a gardener and he looks great in a tux:cool:

I don't know who you're talking about, but I wasn't "recoiling in horror." Nor did I see anybody "recoiling in horror." I do sympathize with her sadness at that decision, however.

Am I the only one to see post #19?

Did you read my explanation yet?

I got to it. Eventually.

There were some pretty hard slams to Sail for her post- just look at the one referencing boarding in our underwear.

I took that as an example of hyperbole, not as a slam against Sail.

When I am cruising I meet people who I can only describe as middle class, LIKE ME. In fact, I have met one other lawyer, no doctors, definitely not Bill Gates, and while I am sure many of you are extremely well off, as evidenced by your ability to travel so well, I personally have not met people who look like they go to black tie events so often that they would be scandalized if others decided not to. I have only ever met fun, comfortable, outgoing, seemingly sensible people who enjoy life, meeting others, and having fun. That clashes with a few of the other posts below.

Hmmm ... I've met people from all over the socio-economic spectrum when I'm on cruises. And, I'm often the poorest person at the table. I do go to some Black Tie events, but not as many as I would like ... which is why I like to dress up on cruises. :)

Hence my Downton Abbey reference. Like it or not, there is always a hint of snobbery in the formal wear posts. I have not met any snobs cruising! Far from it. Far from it. And I am the farthest from it you will ever meet. My husband is a gardener and he looks great in a tux:cool:

Someone had to throw the "snob" bomb. I'm sorry it was you.

Should have quit while I was ahead and followed my own advice to stay out of formal wear and smoking threads. I get what I deserve.

Sorry for your mixed feelings, Sail.

Out.

]"'ditch the tux'. Those days are over "[/font]

Yes' date=' the days that everyone boards in their underwear are near, how tacky it has become..[/size'].

Carla, I'll bring forward post #19....yes, I saw it...somewhat strange, if I do say so.

Personally, I think too much is made of how or how do...or do not...dress on a cruise. We're all adults...on vacation...and free to make our own decisions of how or how not to dress.

Should have quit while I was ahead and followed my own advice to stay out of formal wear and smoking threads. I get what I deserve.

Sorry for your mixed feelings, Sail.

Out.

Seago....

Thank you for your posts and for your thoughts.

At first I didn't understand but you have clearly explained the part that confused me.

I appreciate you participated in a thread I started and you made some good points about which I agree.

Same as you don't agree with all I said/say, I didn't agree with all of yours either but makes for good conversation.

Please don't take any of it personally.

We're all just expressing our viewpoint.

I enjoy your posts.

I got to it. Eventually.

I took that as an example of hyperbole, not as a slam against Sail.

Hmmm ... I've met people from all over the socio-economic spectrum when I'm on cruises. And, I'm often the poorest person at the table. I do go to some Black Tie events, but not as many as I would like ... which is why I like to dress up on cruises. :)

Greg,

Surely you know I always appreciate and respect your posts and am always happy when you express your viewpoint. I expected we wouldn't be totally on the same page on this one but, as always, you show the greatest respect for other's opinions. What more can someone ask for? :)

Thank you, Greg, as always....... :)

Sail --- I joined the 'now' generation as well. On this January's Noordam cruise I brought a dark suit and a sports jacket' date=' and I didn't feel out of place!

My biggest concern now, is finding a jacket that will fit properly for the duration of the cruise.[/quote']

DH ditched his TUX last year but I'm still a bit sad about it..He brings a dark suit & wears his blazer to the ship..I can still wear my long skirts & black dress as it's really not a gown..

Yea...... I'm so happy to hear there are others who agree.

DH said one jacket and nothing else but I suspect I'll slip a dark suit into the suitcase.

She who does all the packing gets a certain 'leeway' and can claim 'dumb mistake' when we unpack and he finds both a suit and a jacket. Oh gee..... I didn't realize I had already packed a jacket. :o

Think he'll believe it? :D

He says he'll be just fine in sports jacket/blazer and tie but I really wonder if he'll be sorry. What do you think.

Bring the suit, too?

I think you might be happier if he brings a suit..I know I would be...However, if & when we do Alaska again will bring just his Blazer, as those cruises were much less formal even in 2008..

It's sad but it looks like this is the way it's going to be from now on..Wonder if the longer cruises will still be more formal though..

We have recently returned from Incan Empires, a 30 day cruise on Rotterdam we too had a cruise minus the tux. DH does not like wearing one, he really needs a new one if he goes on wearing one and we do not have that sort of lifestyle, but mainly each cruise we go on numbers have dropped. This last cruise, which indeed we did worry a bit about as we thought it might just be more dressy was not. I guess on captain's toast night probably about 25% but they did not have another captains toast after changeover day and on the other formals only a tiny handful of men wore them. Most men wore lounge suits or blazers. We personally are a little uneasy about sports jackets on captain's toast night and as DH does not wish to pack two things he takes a lounge suit which he is happy about but would really prefer his sports jacket.

,SNIP> quote]

I don't know wat a lounge suit is? When I Googled it, it came up as ladies pajama wear..

Does anyone have a pic of a men's "lounge suit"?

Understand why you have cut back..It makes it much easier to carry less luggage especially when you fly..

Cheers...Betty

Well, I guess I will jump into the thread and say that my DH and I still love dressing for formal nights. In fact on our upcoming TA cruise I have rented a tux for my DH which will be in the cabin upon arrival (hopefully). We have done this before and it has always turned out well. This way, we don't have to lug the heavy suits and shoes in the luggage especially since we will be flying back to FLL.

I hope there are still going to be some men dressing up with tux's. My DH really enjoys wearing one and I enjoy getting a chance to wear some more formal clothes as well. :rolleyes:

DH ditched his TUX last year but I'm still a bit sad about it..He brings a dark suit & wears his blazer to the ship..I can still wear my long skirts & black dress as it's really not a gown..

I think you might be happier if he brings a suit..I know I would be...However, if & when we do Alaska again will bring just his Blazer, as those cruises were much less formal even in 2008..

It's sad but it looks like this is the way it's going to be from now on..Wonder if the longer cruises will still be more formal though..

We have recently returned from Incan Empires, a 30 day cruise on Rotterdam we too had a cruise minus the tux. DH does not like wearing one, he really needs a new one if he goes on wearing one and we do not have that sort of lifestyle, but mainly each cruise we go on numbers have dropped. This last cruise, which indeed we did worry a bit about as we thought it might just be more dressy was not. I guess on captain's toast night probably about 25% but they did not have another captains toast after changeover day and on the other formals only a tiny handful of men wore them. Most men wore lounge suits or blazers. We personally are a little uneasy about sports jackets on captain's toast night and as DH does not wish to pack two things he takes a lounge suit which he is happy about but would really prefer his sports jacket.

,SNIP> quote]

I don't know wat a lounge suit is? When I Googled it, it came up as ladies pajama wear..

Does anyone have a pic of a men's "lounge suit"?

Understand why you have cut back..It makes it much easier to carry less luggage especially when you fly..

Cheers...Betty

No pictures but it seems to be a general term referring to suits that are not "Formal"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suit_%28clothing%29

Archived