Wine measures

billyelliot

Does anybody know the how much wine is served in a glass on the Zuiderdam? At home here it comes in 3 sizes. 125ml 175ml and 250ml. So a normal 750 bottle has 3 large glasses. We normally buy a bottle because it works out cheaper. Is that the case on board?

If so, as we are on late sitting, can we buy a bottle before dinner in one of the bars have a glass and take it with us to finish and visa versa? Thank you :D

Yes, you can carry you glass of wine with you.

I never saw them measure the pour for a glass of wine. They eyeball it and one time you might have a smidgeon more and another a smidge less but it all evens out. I have never felt they were not giving me a legitimate serving but never felt the need for them to measure it. Actually it wouldn't occur to me. You would get roughly the same number of glasses from your bottle as by the glass. IMO

My husband & I will be stopping at a wine store before we board to get our wines for dinner. Is it acceptable to bring the 1.5L bottles to the MDR instead of the smaller 750ML bottles? I thought if we could have the wine the next night we could save on the corkage fees. I didn't know if they would store our wine for the following nights.

My husband & I will be stopping at a wine store before we board to get our wines for dinner. Is it acceptable to bring the 1.5L bottles to the MDR instead of the smaller 750ML bottles? I thought if we could have the wine the next night we could save on the corkage fees. I didn't know if they would store our wine for the following nights.

Yes, it is fine. I was gifted a special magnum bottle by a friend to take on a cruise and even that was welcomed! Nearby tables jokingly placed guesses on how many nights it would take us to drink it and the wine steward paraded it around during the Master Chef's Dinner the last night. It was great wine and the single corkage fee a bonus.

So a normal 750 bottle has 3 large glasses. We normally buy a bottle because it works out cheaper. Is that the case on board?

If so, as we are on late sitting, can we buy a bottle before dinner in one of the bars have a glass and take it with us to finish and visa versa? Thank you :D

Our steward poured 6 glasses from each 750 ml bottle we bought from him.

Yes, you can bring your bottle from the bar. There is no corkage fee for anything bought from ship stock. You may be asked to show a receipt, but I doubt it.

Is it acceptable to bring the 1.5L bottles to the MDR instead of the smaller 750ML bottles? I thought if we could have the wine the next night we could save on the corkage fees. I didn't know if they would store our wine for the following nights.
The corkage is $18 for a bottle of any size, and they will store it for you.

Six glasses from a 750 ml bottle ...... wow.

He was stingy in his pours. :D Unless that is what you asked for.

They were the normal widest-part-of-the-glass pours you get when buying by the glass. Maybe when buying by the bottle they normally pour more? Come to think of it, I think we did get just 5 glasses from one bottle and had to buy one glass for the third night. (We did tell him we wanted just one serving each night.)

I find when you order by the bottle you have to watch them pouring as they'll race through the bottle as fast as they can if they know you'll buy more. :)

It only bothers me because I don't drink much and if they keep pouring into my glass, I waste the wine. When I have had all I want, I just don't drink anymore and leave wine in my glass just about every night when we leave dinner. By the end of ten day cruise, I've wasted just about a full bottle.

John agreed they do not get six glasses of wine from a bottle.

It is 5 common pours or 4 larger.

You need to adjust your arithmetic. :D

<snip>

jtl513

Come to think of it, I think we did get just 5 glasses from one bottle and had to buy one glass for the third night. (We did tell him we wanted just one serving each night.)

I've normally found a bottle is better value than the glass of wine especially if you order the nicer ones.

On most cruise ships, most of the 'nicer wines' aren't available by the glass. Some shore side restaurants offer some great wines by the glass but many do not.

A few thoughts. I always order wine by the bottle in the Dining Room. Often I ask for just a bit in the glass at first or later. There is absolutely no problem with this. The wine steward will save your bottle or give it to you to take with you. I have even given the last glass or two to the wine steward who was very appreciative.

Check out the wine packages if you are looking for special wines. You can save some $.

If you buy a beverage card, you can use the card to buy wine by the glass, bottle, or a package in any part of the ship -- dining rooms, bars, Pinnacle, etc.

On most cruise ships, most of the 'nicer wines' aren't available by the glass. Some shore side restaurants offer some great wines by the glass but many do not.

I'll pick on the whites as that's what I usually order - there are three, the house, another variety and then a Ruffino (for example in the Pinot Grigio).

The house is around $6.95 and the Ruffino was close to $9 - it's cheaper by the bottle.:) The Ruffino is certainly nicer than the house:)

I find when you order by the bottle you have to watch them pouring as they'll race through the bottle as fast as they can if they know you'll buy more. :)

It only bothers me because I don't drink much and if they keep pouring into my glass, I waste the wine. When I have had all I want, I just don't drink anymore and leave wine in my glass just about every night when we leave dinner. By the end of ten day cruise, I've wasted just about a full bottle.

I always bring my own wine, as this is my treat on the cruise. HAL doe not sell it anymore because of the price they were charging. My husband does not drink, so when the wine steward pours my glass the first night I just tell them that is all I will drink each night. The same happened with the couple at our table and they bought their wine on board.

I always bring my own wine, as this is my treat on the cruise. HAL doe not sell it anymore because of the price they were charging. My husband does not drink, so when the wine steward pours my glass the first night I just tell them that is all I will drink each night. The same happened with the couple at our table and they bought their wine on board.

Curious :)

Which is your wine HAL no longer offers?

One time we wanted to try a glass of a special wine -- when the glasses were brought to the table -- there wasn't much in the glass. So I asked how many ounces were in a glass -- 4 ounces. They do stretch out the bottles of wine when bought by the glass and make a bundle on a bottle.

So it is much better to buy a bottle.

So I asked how many ounces were in a glass -- 4 ounces. They do stretch out the bottles of wine when bought by the glass and make a bundle on a bottle.

So it is much better to buy a bottle

If that was true you would get a little more than 6 glasses out of a standard 750 ml (25.4 oz) bottle. The standard pour should be 5 oz, giving 5 glasses per bottle. On our last cruise the Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling which we drank was $6 a glass or $29 a bottle ... essentially the same price. If the stewards give 4 oz pours by-the-glass they are increasing their profit 20%.

To avoid wasting wine DH always immediately tells the wine steward that he wishes to pour our wine himself. We drink exactly the amount each night that we actualy want and there is never any conflict with the server.

Archived