Catholic Priest on board RCCL Oasis?

On our first 6 cruises w/Celebrity from 1993-2006 there was daily Mass listed in the cruise newsletter. This was for basic 7 day cruises. They even had a priest onboard for our 14 day Hawaii cruise. Being a Greek cruise line, I have to admit I was surprised by this but thought it was a very classy touch.

We were on Silhouette in February, 2014 and I don't remember seeing daily Mass listed but it may have been. I never thought to look for it.

Sue

I find this very interesting. Shuld any religious person expect a cruise line to provide a priest (or equal)? Should for example a Muslim expect an Imam? Or should I expect a Lutheran priest?

The question has already been answered.... no.

On every line we have been on, it seems that it is a passenger who may or may or be cherry performs the services. One line doesn't do it different than another line be it RCCl, Holland America, Celebrity etc. We have noticed that there usually something special planned, for high holy days of Catholosim and Judaism. It would usually be listed in the compass. Easter should have something planned, but no guarantee. I remember an Easter egg hunt once.

On our first 6 cruises w/Celebrity from 1993-2006 there was daily Mass listed in the cruise newsletter. This was for basic 7 day cruises. They even had a priest onboard for our 14 day Hawaii cruise. Being a Greek cruise line, I have to admit I was surprised by this but thought it was a very classy touch.

We were on Silhouette in February, 2014 and I don't remember seeing daily Mass listed but it may have been. I never thought to look for it.

Sue

as general rule long gone are the days where the cruise lines employed religious personnel to sail every itinerary and perform services. they were caught between being crew/staff and being passengers.. much like guest entertainers brought on board. the cruise line paid for their berth in exchange for saying mass and whatnot. many of them were retired from active service.

as I have said many times before, if the act of attending mass is so important to you, then do not sail over a time when you could be deprived of that option.

but as a former catholic myself, I also know that god does't give a flying leap where or how you worship. or even that it be full of psalms and readings and acts of contrition.

For whats its worth:

My brother in law is a catholic priest. When sailing on Royal two years ago, he sent a email ahead of time offering his services to have a catholic mass while on board.

He never got a reply from the email. He even asked when boarding at guest services and they acted like they didn't know what he was talking about.

Sailing with him again this year. He said he didn't know if he would bother to even ask. More than likely we will just have a private mass in our stateroom (and yes, we are spoiled with that option!)

Actually this thread might concern me.

Am I guaranteed a Catholic priest onboard if I book a cruise on the Oasis from March 26th to April 2nd, 2016, as per Royal Caribbean's policy? Easter is March 27th, 2016.

Thanks.

I've cruised over Easter three times now, and each time there has been a priest onboard offering Easter services. So, no, it's not a guarantee, but it's fairly likely on cruises over major Christian holidays.

On every line we have been on, it seems that it is a passenger who may or may or be cherry performs the services. One line doesn't do it different than another line be it RCCl, Holland America, Celebrity etc. We have noticed that there usually something special planned, for high holy days of Catholosim and Judaism. It would usually be listed in the compass. Easter should have something planned, but no guarantee. I remember an Easter egg hunt once.

Actually, HAL is the only major line to have a priest onboard full time, as noted by the AOS website, and many HAL cruisers and CC members.

I've cruised over Easter three times now, and each time there has been a priest onboard offering Easter services. So, no, it's not a guarantee, but it's fairly likely on cruises over major Christian holidays.

Did you have daily mass when a priest was on board?

Here is the reply I got from Royal Caribbean customer service.

We are pleased you will be sailing with Royal Caribbean International during the Easter season.

Easter activities onboard may include the following:

Traditional religious services

Traditional Catholic Mass conducted by a priest

Special Easter movie

Professional face painter or caricaturist

Family Festival with the Easter Bunny

Easter egg hunt

Easter arts and crafts projects

Holiday decorations

Special holiday meal

*Activities are subject to change and may vary from ship to ship.

Royal Caribbean International does make every effort to have a priest onboard for every sailing. If there is a priest, there will be a Mass as well as an interdenominational service. In the event that no priest is onboard, interdenominational services are held onboard each week and during religious holidays. Please refer to your Cruise Compass guide once onboard or ask our Guest Services Desk for information on the location of the services.

Well, I will have to take my chances that there will be a priest onboard, since the Oasis is the flagship of the RC fleet.

Here is the reply I got from Royal Caribbean customer service.

Well, I will have to take my chances that there will be a priest onboard, since the Oasis is the flagship of the RC fleet.

You are implying that you have a better chance of having a priest onboard because the Oasis is the flagship of the RC fleet (can't say that is actually true, with newer ships out now) -- when that isn't the case.

You are taking your chances....but if it is so important to you, then don't cruise then -- there are other weeks in the year.

You are taking your chances....but if it is so important to you, then don't cruise then -- there are other weeks in the year.

Why are you telling me that I would have a better chance of finding a priest on board in any other week than the week of Easter?

I specifically picked that week because it was the Easter week!

Why are you telling me that I would have a better chance of finding a priest on board in any other week than the week of Easter?

I don't think that's what she said at all.

She didn't say that. I am sure her point was that if you are so worried about missing mass maybe it might be more acceptable to you to miss it on a week other than Easter. If it is not acceptable on any week then you had better look to cruise on another line or you take your chances.

I don't really know how many times people can tell you the same thing.

She didn't say that. I am sure her point was that if you are so worried about missing mass maybe it might be more acceptable to you to miss it on a week other than Easter. If it is not acceptable on any week then you had better look to cruise on another line or you take your chances.

I don't really know how many times people can tell you the same thing.

Sometimes, people want to hear what they wish to hear.;):)

The (Catholic) priest usually is responsible for also providing a non-denominational "Protestant" service also.

Not being Catholic, nor Protestant, isn't this pretty jacked up?

Again, I'm not one, so I don't know, but wouldn't this seriously be mixing your metaphors in a spiritual sense?

...The priest usually is responsible for also providing a non-denominational "Protestant" service also....

Not in recent years - the non-denominational service now consists of a video presentation in the theater, usually Joel Osteen.

EDITED to add:

#bananasinabowlnexttotheketchupandmayo

Poncho! LOL, oh my goodness... I so remember that...

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Not in recent years - the non-denominational service now consists of a video presentation in the theater, usually Joel Osteen.

And that is sad. On our last cruise, it wasn't even in a public place. it was for three hours on your in room television. A video is a far cry from a live service.

not what she said at all. she is saying that your ASSUMPTION that you are GUARANTEED a CATHOLIC priest because you're sailing OASIS( as opposed to any other ship)is MISGUIDED. you will notice that you email said 'MAY include a Catholic Priest to say mass. NOT WILL

yes Royal makes a reasonable attempt. but if you are so hell bent on attending a 'real' Catholic Mass on Easter Sunday that failing to do so means you personally believe you will rot in hell then DO NOT Sail on ANY cruise line over Easter Week.

Not being Catholic, nor Protestant, isn't this pretty jacked up?

Again, I'm not one, so I don't know, but wouldn't this seriously be mixing your metaphors in a spiritual sense?

as someone who was baptized Catholic but grew up with Methodist and Protestant relations and forced to attend all of their masses, there are more similarities than differences. minor variances in how eucharist is handled. a few less genuflections. basically the 'christian' religions are all the same and it was only one person's 'interpretation' of how things should be done that resulted in the schism. Think Church Of England. That Henry fellow didn't like being told he couldn't divorce and that the Pope in Rome was his spiritual leader, so he said funk that crap and broke away.

yes Royal makes a reasonable attempt. but if you are so hell bent on attending a 'real' Catholic Mass on Easter Sunday that failing to do so means you personally believe you will rot in hell then DO NOT Sail on ANY cruise line over Easter Week.

Wrong, they could sail on HAL and have a real Catholic mass.

Think Church Of England. That Henry fellow didn't like being told he couldn't divorce and that the Pope in Rome was his spiritual leader, so he said funk that crap and broke away.

Actually, this was minor compared to the entire protestant Reformation led by Luther, Calvin, Zwingli and the Wesleys. Henry VIII started a new church for personal reasons. The Reformers broke away because of differences in Biblical interpretation and the overwhelming influence of Rome on an emerging Europe.

That being said, I really believe that an interdenominational Christian service, with a live person, is the way to go.

I am not telling you that at all.....I wonder why you think that because you are on Oasis, you have a better chance of having a priest on board to conduct services.

Based on what others have said...there is no guarantee regardless of ship being sailed on.

When it comes to my own religious holidays, I don't cruise over them....so I don't have to worry whether there is a religious leader on board to hold services or not.