Single Supplement

Hibiscus13

Hi all -

I'm not sure where to ask this question, and I'm having trouble finding information.

I know that cruise lines charge single supplements for staterooms with only one guest - does anyone know which lines have reasonable supplement charges?

I would like to go on a cruise with my father to Europe next summer, but the costs for us to have our own staterooms are high. Are any lines more friendly towards 'single' cruisers (single meaning one guest per room)?

Any help is appreciated!

You need to think of the price of the cabin like a hotel room....not a "per person" charge. Most hotels charge a rate for "up to 2" in a room....so whatever the per person rate is, double it, and that's the cost of the ship's cabin, for up to 2 in a cabin!

You need to think of the price of the cabin like a hotel room....not a "per person" charge. Most hotels charge a rate for "up to 2" in a room....so whatever the per person rate is, double it, and that's the cost of the ship's cabin, for up to 2 in a cabin!

That sounds fine in writing - but it is a per person charge when we are figuring out costs that we will each have to pay.

I understand that it's not desirable to have less than two people in a cabin on a ship, but my question still remains - are there lines that charge more reasonable rates for one person per room?

1025cruise - I'll take a look at NCL, thanks.

That sounds fine in writing - but it is a per person charge when we are figuring out costs that we will each have to pay.

I understand that it's not desirable to have less than two people in a cabin on a ship, but my question still remains - are there lines that charge more reasonable rates for one person per room?

There's no real good answer to your question as Cruiselines generally do not have a basic pre-set percentage for single supplements. Just like everything else it's driven by supply & demand. If the cruise is selling well the single supplement will be 200% . If it's not selling well you might be able to get a single supplement for 175% or even 150% but generally never below that. Also if the cruise is during peak season for that intinerary that will also impact the single supplement rate. There are even times that a Cruiseline won't offer a single supplement on a specific intinerary.

You really need to check all cruise lines . I cruise solo all the time. Have learned to be very flexible with dates, itinerary and ship in order to get the best offering.

I don't decide based on the single supplement percentage , my decision to book is based on what I'm willing to pay to go solo and if I can get my preferred cabin selection.

Crystal has single supplements starting at 125% for their lowest-level cabin (which is an outside window - no inner cabins on their ships), and the supplement increases as the size and status of cabins increase. A couple of cruise lines have ships with inner, smaller single staterooms that don't have any single supplement; depending on what you want, those might fit the bill too (I think Norwegian and P & O have them available on some ships).

OP,

I see that you sailed on the Paul Gauguin. Have you considered Crystal? The single supplement starts at 125% (subject to capacity) on the more affordable OV cabins.

I did look at Crystal and NCL - neither have itineraries that appeal to us (we've done several trips together to parts of Europe already).

We might just have to do a land tour instead in order to get the destinations we are really interested in seeing.

I bet my travel agent would know

It's a sad fact of life that cruising as a single person is just very expensive. Since being widowed I haven't cruised at all because the cost is just prohibitive. Now I've decided to share a stateroom with a friend who is also a widow. That way we can afford to go. Some ships do have single cabins but they are few and far between and get booked up very quickly.

I wondered how this affected people who have lost spouses, if they cruised less as a result. It seems like the cruise lines are missing out on a market (not to be sage about being a widow/widower). People still want to travel and have the $$ to do so but are put off by the very expense of it.

I've contacted Oceania, mostly because they have the itinerary we are interested in. I'm waiting for a complete quote. I've also found a really great land based tour, that I'm guessing will be a fraction of the cruise cost while still including a lot of meals + the single supplement.

I have shared a room with my dad before. It's not ideal though, and not for more than a day or two. My husband and I have three bathrooms for the two of us, and that's barely enough :)

I wondered how this affected people who have lost spouses, if they cruised less as a result. It seems like the cruise lines are missing out on a market (not to be sage about being a widow/widower). People still want to travel and have the $$ to do so but are put off by the very expense of it.

Not just widows and widowers! There are a reasonable number of solo men and women who are old enough to have the money and the vacation time, but don't have a spouse or a significant other in their lives.

Actually, that (their significantly lower single supplement) is one of the reasons I first looked at Crystal and eventually chose to book with them.....not the price itself (which is more expensive since they're a luxury line with smaller ships) but the principle of not charging solo travelers double.

My past experience is that the further up the luxury food chain you go and the more flexible you are as to booking late the more chance you have of getting the single supplement reduced or even eliminated.

We had some older clients who could travel at the last minute and if we found a sailing on one of the luxury lines with unsold space we'd call the line's district sales manager and make our pitch -- sail with the cabin empty or waive the single supplement and have at least one fare in there. It worked remarkably often. Talk to your TA, but it's best to have a TA that works at an agency that sends a lot of business to the cruise line you're looking at. They know who to call to get this done.

As a senior solo traveler, I accept the fact that it's going to cost me extra to cruise; I plan on 200% of the base price and if it's less, then I'm pleased.

On my upcoming cruise to Alaska, the supplement on an ocean view cabin is 160% so I'm pleased. :) If memory serves correctly, the supplement on a Panama Canal cruise in '10 was 190%.:o

Archived