Do NOT purchase Princess Transfers

Sitmar Lady

We have used princess transfers in san francisco, LA, Seattle, anchorage and NY... All went smoothly never had a problem. We have even used them when we flew in a day early and stay in the airport hotel. We also have used them when we flew in 3 days early, rented a car and did sight seeing... Returned the car to the airport and caught the princess bus... Is it really that awful to sit and wait? If not at the airport then you would have to wait at the terminal... Bring a book!

We learned a long time ago not to use the transfers. They will make you wait in the airport until around 11:30. That is when the first bus comes bringing the passengers from the ship. They don't want you at the pier.

It depends a lot on the port where you are cruising out of. If you are going out of Seattle, Pier 91 is a relatively small pier and there is simply no place to put passengers waiting to board while you are still disembarking passengers. On the days where Princess is at the pier, there are normally about 5000 (+/-) passengers disembarking and there is just no way to accommodate a couple of hundred passengers waiting to board the ship, especially if they have all their luggage with them! The disembarking passengers don't normally get cleared off the pier until around 10:30 or so which means that arriving people have to stand around (almost no seating outside the terminal building) which makes movement for all passengers, those coming as well as going, extremely difficult. Other ports may not be so limited, but at Seattle we are. :(

The same goes for the transfers from the ship. We got off the ship at 8:30. Sat on that bus in the parking lot until 11:30. They then went to the airport in Ft Lauderdale. We then had to wait until the driver unloaded all the luggage. He then stood there with his hand out for a tip.

At Seattle, you will normally start debarkation at 7:30, sometimes 7:15, and, depending on how the passengers come off the ships (always 2 ships on Princess days, one Princess, one Holland-America) the first transfer bus will normally leave the pier as soon as it is loaded, or 20 minutes after the first passenger gets on the bus. (Normally, the first buss will leave no later than 8:20.) While I'm not doubting your word, I find it hard to believe that any port would have a normal transfer bus sit at the pier for 3 hours unless there was a huge screw up or something. A sitting bus is not doing anybody any good, neither passenger nor bus owner/company.:eek: But in any event, I do apologize if you had to sit there for that length of time waiting to go as that certainly seems to be ridiculous.

It is about 1 mile to the airport and a cab at most is $10. Not worth paying Princess $20 each. I found this to be the same with all ports. Better to take a cab.

I agree completely with you here and I'm sure that a cab would be a much better choice for such a short trip. Heck, unless you were one of the first on the bus, you'd spend more time walking down the aisle to your seat and back up the aisle off the bus than you would riding from the pier to the airport! :)

However you travel to/from the pier on your next cruise, I hope that it's better for you than on that experience. Hopefully even on that trip, the enjoyment you got from the cruise made up for the transportation situation!

Tom

• 4 months later...

We are considering the Hawaii cruise that disembarks in Ensenada. But we don't know if they have a transfer from that port back to California... I would be willing to pay $50 a person or something similar if it would keep us from having to go through 3 changes of transportation to get back to US soil. Did you disembark in Ensenada on your Princess cruises?

We are considering the Hawaii cruise that disembarks in Ensenada. But we don't know if they have a transfer from that port back to California... I would be willing to pay $50 a person or something similar if it would keep us from having to go through 3 changes of transportation to get back to US soil. Did you disembark in Ensenada on your Princess cruises?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Princess does not disembark in Ensenada. :confused:

You sure its not R/T LA or San Fran?

I have a feeling that you are looking at the itinerary where Princess shows the ports but does not put the disembarkation port at the end of the list of stops. It will just say round trip LA etc above the ports.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We have enjoyed many cruises on various cruise lines.

We have never purchased cruise line transfers or cruise line hotels. We look at them but we have always found it more convenient, less expensive, and faster to do our own thing. Most especially FLL.

We find that Europe is particularly bad for pricing. I think the cruise lines take advantage of some english speaking people who are afraid of potential language or currency barriers. We have found Rome pricing to be the worst. We visit on a regular basis both on independent land tours and embarking/disembarking cruises at Civ.

If you do buy cruise line transfers/hotel be careful about the hotel locations. In some cities the cruise lines use business class hotels on Fridays-Sundays. These may not be in the prime tourist locations. They are used because the cruise line gets such a good price on those days when business travellers are few.

Edited by iancal

I saw this was an oldy and moldy.......

and read some items that i think r not correct today.

I do have prepaid transfers, I purchased with FP. I am going to take an excursion and transfer after disembarkation...I'll be able to cancel those on the ship correct. Princess told me I could.

Never say never because there are ports where it makes sense. If the airport or city is a couple of hours from the port, there's little or no public transportation, you don't speak the language, etc., you'll be thrilled to see the Princess rep. :)

Is San Pedro one of the ports where a Princess transfer is prudent?

Thanks

RB