Do NOT purchase Princess Transfers

Sitmar Lady

Don't know where you got the 2 1/2 hours from. The buses have always departed the airport when full. We regularly use Princess Transfers for the convenience and reliability. All it takes is one taxi ride where the driver takes you on a "long cut" and cannot understand you when you tell him there's a quicker way. All of a sudden Princess Transfers are a great bargain. Do call Princess though. I think I read some where that if you arrive outside the window where buses are used, they will re-emburse you for taxi up to the Transfer price - in Anchorage anyway.

In some ports transfers are a bargain (Houston), and convienent (Med).

Some not so much (Ft Lauderdale). You can usually see the Princess rep in baggage claim and be added to the list and they will charge your onboard account.

That way if you change your mind before arriving you dont have to fight to get a refund.

Don't know where you got the 2 1/2 hours from. The buses have always departed the airport when full. We regularly use Princess Transfers for the convenience and reliability. All it takes is one taxi ride where the driver takes you on a "long cut" and cannot understand you when you tell him there's a quicker way. All of a sudden Princess Transfers are a great bargain. Do call Princess though. I think I read some where that if you arrive outside the window where buses are used, they will re-emburse you for taxi up to the Transfer price - in Anchorage anyway.

On out last cruise in Los Angeles , Princess paid for a taxit o take us from the pre cruise hotel to the pier. There wasn't enough people for a bus.They definitely didn't make any money on transfers that cruise.

All of the times we have used Princess transfers we have never had a problem with them. The one time we departed from FLL we flew in a day early and got a hotel shuttle. The next day, the same shuttle took us to the port. No problem.

When we returned to FLL, we used the Princess transfers to take us to the airport -again, no problem, no long waits on a bus.

ON our other cruises, in Vancouver they put us in a taxi to the hotel. I Houston, we had a black SUV and personal driver to the Hotel.

I Vancouver, we stayed in the Pan Pacific hotel and had a walk (literally) to the ship. They had picked up the luggage.

In Houston, we were assigned to a group and waited comfortably in a lounge until we boarded the bus, as a group to the port.

No long waits, no muss no fuss..

Don't know if you guys noticed but this thread was started almost 3 years ago..

I find the threads that are added on to through the years to be very informative. For example, recent threads have described Princess coffee as being horrible, miserable, but someone added a comment to an older thread about Princess coffee where the posters were not so negative, and in fact, some were very positive. Reading through the prior posts made me feel like I should give Princess coffee a chance, whereas if I had relied on the newer posts, I would have not been so charitable. I'm sure that some here have been reading the posts here for years, though, and don't want to read posts from years back, so I understand. It's just that older posts do provide a little more perspective.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Don't know if you guys noticed but this thread was started almost 3 years ago..

I didn't notice at first, then looked. It still is an on going subject.

In 2013, DH & I took a Princess transfer in LA when our plane arrived @ 8 am. They greeted us and immediately (15 min wait) took us to a hotel, fed us and gave us paperwork to fill out. Left the hotel @ 11:30 and arrived @ the cruise terminal @ 12:00pm. Easy peasy! ;)

We were so pleased with the Princess transfer that we are doing it again in San Francisco on our cruise to Alaska. To us, knowing that they know we are coming in @ the airport is calming.

don,t know what port you are talking about but in LA we always arrive at 8.30am and never wait more than 30 mins for a shuttle that takes us to a hotel where we have coffee and pastries all morning, the reps also check us in and when the bus comes back around noon we walk straight onto the boat

This is a live and learn moment. We never you any cruiseline transfer. They are way over priced and as you found out, not always convenient.

Exactly! We had a one and only time experience with Princess transfers and never ever again! You're better off getting an airport shuttle or a taxi. It took 5 hours out of our life that wasn't necessary. The aggravation isn't worth it!

We are arriving in Houston in November and found Princess Transfer to be reasonable in price , I have to say we have never had a problem and have boarded the bus at the end of a cruise and tried to hand our transfer tickets in …nobody ever collected them .I often wondered if everyone did in fact pay.

My problem with my last Princess transfer was getting from the terminal door all the way to our bus. I have mobility problems and thank goodness a guy pushing an empty wheelchair turned around and took me the rest of the way. I had my carry on in my lap, and my daughter had gone ahead with our big luggage (the four wheel kind, so it was easy).

When we arrived at Newark, the bus stopped in front of an airline check in, and the driver commented that "Delta is down there". He got back on the bus, and stared at us. I told him we were going to Delta. He said he had just taken all the luggage off, so we could walk down there. I said I couldn't do it. He huffed and puffed and put our luggage back on, drove us to Delta which was two airlines past where we were. I tipped him and he just turned around and got back on the bus.

Had I known the long walk to the bus at the port, and had known that it doesn't necessarily take you to your airline, I would not have booked a Princess transfer.

I guess I was lucky when we used them before, and didn't have the same result.

• 8 months later...

When we were on an Alaska Princess cruise Vancouver to Anchorage, the ship docked in Whittaker. The Princess transfer made sense- plenty of busses available- As one was filled up, then next was loaded--An imformative tour guide was on the bus---which made two stops, one at Anchorage airport- which we chose--the other to central Anchorage? (I think??can't quite remember)--

This was very reasonable and the most convenient for us.

One time for one of our first cruises, out of Miami, we didn't know any better. Sat on Princess bus for 2 hours (uncomfortable and hot) before bus was filled and left for the airport. Lesson learned. For Miami or Fort Lauderdale, we use private transportation or just a taxi.

We have friends that will only use cruise transfers (for some reason are taxi phobic) and will be sitting at FLL waiting for 4 hours. They refused to fly in a day early in comfort and just take a hotel or taxi shuttle- wierd- JMHO

Will we know what time the pickup is ? We come in to LAX about 9. If we know it will be an hour or two we will have some breakfast.

Kris

There will be elderly people holding a "Princess" sign. They'll take you to where you pick up your luggage and take you to a waiting area. You will wait there until there's enough people to load on the bus. Once loaded on the bus and depending on what's going on at the pier, they'll either take you to a hotel or directly to the terminal. Both times we waited FOREVER at the pier. The second time was the worse and final time for us. Sat at the hotel, then sat at the pier. If I hadn't of told the driver of the bus to take us to the terminal, we would have sat there longer. Take Super Shuttle and save yourself the aggravation.

Depending on what airline you're using, LAX is in the process of construction. The Southwest terminal doesn't have too many places to eat. It's quite expensive too. You'll be able to find a Starbutt's though.

Edited by elliair

• 2 weeks later...

We recently returned from a great cruise that left from LA and sailed to Hawaii and back. Best vacation EVER! We used Princess transfers as we had on many occasions. Arrived at LAX approx. 9:30am - got on the Princess shuttle bus- was taken to the Crown Hotel where we were put into a holding room for over 3 hours. We were then put back on the bus to be taken to the pier. We got to the pier and sat for another hour in the terminal lot. One of the passengers on the bus finally got out and asked the driver what the problem was and then we were finally taken to the terminal and let off. Check in was a breeze but of course it was 3:00pm by then. Had a quick hamburger at the grill and headed to our cabins to get ready for the muster drill. We missed all the pre-cruise activities. I emailed Princess headquarters before we left LA and on Monday morning I was called back. They did end up giving us a free specialty dining but we STILL missed all the festivities. There was no reason we had to sit at the hotel or in the terminal lot. Thank goodness the cruise made up for the disappointment at the very beginning. Think twice before using their transfers.

We recently returned from a great cruise that left from LA and sailed to Hawaii and back. Best vacation EVER! We used Princess transfers as we had on many occasions. Arrived at LAX approx. 9:30am - got on the Princess shuttle bus- was taken to the Crown Hotel where we were put into a holding room for over 3 hours. We were then put back on the bus to be taken to the pier. We got to the pier and sat for another hour in the terminal lot. One of the passengers on the bus finally got out and asked the driver what the problem was and then we were finally taken to the terminal and let off. Check in was a breeze but of course it was 3:00pm by then. Had a quick hamburger at the grill and headed to our cabins to get ready for the muster drill. We missed all the pre-cruise activities. I emailed Princess headquarters before we left LA and on Monday morning I was called back. They did end up giving us a free specialty dining but we STILL missed all the festivities. There was no reason we had to sit at the hotel or in the terminal lot. Thank goodness the cruise made up for the disappointment at the very beginning. Think twice before using their transfers.

We weren't on your cruise but that's exactly what happened to us - but longer. We didn't get jack for the inconvenience. Platinums and elites who arrived at the cruise terminal were given the option of being bussed to downtown Long Beach for shopping and lunch or wait at the terminal. We who were picked up at the airport did not have that option. Throughout the morning, bus loads of people were dropped off at the hotel. If you wanted to eat at the hotel, you were given a 10% off coupon. We had several handicapped people on our "hostage" bus at the terminal. No bathroom and no water. I got up after waiting on that bus for over 2 hours and confronted the driver. I gave her 2 choices. Either take us to the terminal, or I call 911 and tell them we are being held hostage. Pick your poison. Never again, and it looks like you had the same experience. I can't get over the experience - lesson learned though.:eek:

What a waste of a ship day! We also try and utilize embarkation as a ship day. So thanks - I just cancelled our PCL transfer for next weekend.

What then is the best way currently to transfer to San Pedro from LAX, given LA traffic? We are natives who LEFT that freeway jungle ;)

What then is the best way currently to transfer to San Pedro from LAX, given LA traffic? We are natives who LEFT that freeway jungle ;)

SuperShuttle. About $17/person plus tip using online discount coupon code.

Unlike a taxi, price does not go up when stuck in traffic as there is no meter running.

What a waste of a ship day! We also try and utilize embarkation as a ship day. So thanks - I just cancelled our PCL transfer for next weekend.

How about ÜBER?