Do NOT purchase Princess Transfers

Sitmar Lady

What a waste of a ship day! We also try and utilize embarkation as a ship day. So thanks - I just cancelled our PCL transfer for next weekend.

What then is the best way currently to transfer to San Pedro from LAX, given LA traffic? We are natives who LEFT that freeway jungle ;)

We've always just used Super Shuttle. Go out to the curb once you have your luggage and look for the Super Shuttle rep. They will keep filling vans until there is no longer a need.. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes to be on our way..

We weren't on your cruise but that's exactly what happened to us - but longer. We didn't get jack for the inconvenience. Platinums and elites who arrived at the cruise terminal were given the option of being bussed to downtown Long Beach for shopping and lunch or wait at the terminal. We who were picked up at the airport did not have that option. Throughout the morning, bus loads of people were dropped off at the hotel. If you wanted to eat at the hotel, you were given a 10% off coupon. We had several handicapped people on our "hostage" bus at the terminal. No bathroom and no water. I got up after waiting on that bus for over 2 hours and confronted the driver. I gave her 2 choices. Either take us to the terminal, or I call 911 and tell them we are being held hostage. Pick your poison. Never again, and it looks like you had the same experience. I can't get over the experience - lesson learned though.:eek:

What a terrible experience!

Outside of the issue what method you get to the terminal, it seems like Princess is not about communicating issues to passengers. Certainly there are times when boarding will be delayed due to a variety of factors outside of Princess' control, but they should have a contingency plan set up for these situations and should staff on hand to clearly communicate to passengers about (1) why there is a delay, and (2) what the options are so people can make choices.

Count us in the club that rarely uses a cruise line transfer. In most cases it is too expensive, involved unnecessary waiting, and is just a pain in the behind. As a very simple example, yesterday we debarked from the Regal at Port Everglades and needed to get over to FLL for our flight. We walked off the ship about 9:15 (our preference), grabbed our luggage in the terminal, quickly cleared Passport Control (we have Global Entry so used the very short special line), walked outside to the taxi queue, waited less then 1 min to get a taxi, and were at FLL by 9:40. The cost of our taxi was $16 (which included a decent tip. Princess charges $18 for their bus transfer which means we would have paid $36 (for a couple) and had to wait around on a bus until it was filled and ready to go. And at the airport we would again have to have waited until they unloaded our luggage. So why would we want to pay more then double for the transfer?

And for those that argue they do not want to wait in a taxi queue, the wait for Uber was about 6 minutes. So one could call Uber as they are clearing Passport/Customs control, walk outside, and their Uber Driver would probably be waiting. And Uber is also less then half the cost of the cruise line transfer.

Hank

Cruise critic port of call section is the best place to research transfers. We rarely buy ship transfers anymore. Newbie cruisers may want to consider buying them one time for peace of mind if they are overseas.

We have had no problems getting refunds but as one person said some refunds cannot be issued until after the cruise. In one instance they asked if we wanted cash back or double refund in the form of OBC for the next booked cruise.

Princess transfers (and ship excursions) are more reasonably priced than some cruise lines sell them for.

What a terrible experience!

Outside of the issue what method you get to the terminal, it seems like Princess is not about communicating issues to passengers. Certainly there are times when boarding will be delayed due to a variety of factors outside of Princess' control, but they should have a contingency plan set up for these situations and should staff on hand to clearly communicate to passengers about (1) why there is a delay, and (2) what the options are so people can make choices.

I just booked Super Shuttle from the cruise terminal to LAX for me and DH. The total came to $47.20 and that included an 18% tip. We get off the ship, walk down to the parking garage, walk up to a Super Shuttle, give them your name, we get in the 9 passenger van and off we go. No being herded down to a lounge to wait and have someone else in charge of you. Then herded to a big bus to wait some more. When you get to LAX, everyone gets off and waits in a big line of people who just got off the bus. You get to pay much more for the Princess Transfer just to be herded around and jacked around. Nope, learned my lesson.

its not just Princess Shuttles. We recently got off the oasis and purchased shuttle service from FLL to MIA and the co. RCI used was terrible too. I even called RCI from the bus to say if we miss our flight because of this co. then RCI has to pay for any airfare costs we may incur. My TA told me after I returned to never use the cruise line shuttle as they are often shoddy.

Last yr. we used the Princess shuttle from Yokohama to NRT and that went well though I wonder if the Japanese work ethic and value for customer service made that so.

The Miami terminal crew basically stunk from onset to disembarkation.

How about ÜBER?

I don't think that Uber is allowed to pick up passengers at LAX just yet. I would check with a towncar service (I don't like shared van services because they often circle the airport until they're full); we use Apex Transportation. Pricier, but not all that expensive and it's curb (or baggage claim for an extra fee) to the ship with no interruption and no meter.

Count us in the club that rarely uses a cruise line transfer. In most cases it is too expensive, involved unnecessary waiting, and is just a pain in the behind. As a very simple example, yesterday we debarked from the Regal at Port Everglades and needed to get over to FLL for our flight. We walked off the ship about 9:15 (our preference), grabbed our luggage in the terminal, quickly cleared Passport Control (we have Global Entry so used the very short special line), walked outside to the taxi queue, waited less then 1 min to get a taxi, and were at FLL by 9:40. The cost of our taxi was $16 (which included a decent tip. Princess charges $18 for their bus transfer which means we would have paid $36 (for a couple) and had to wait around on a bus until it was filled and ready to go. And at the airport we would again have to have waited until they unloaded our luggage. So why would we want to pay more then double for the transfer?

And for those that argue they do not want to wait in a taxi queue, the wait for Uber was about 6 minutes. So one could call Uber as they are clearing Passport/Customs control, walk outside, and their Uber Driver would probably be waiting. And Uber is also less then half the cost of the cruise line transfer.

Hank

Sorry to hijack, but we just disembarked in Port Everglades on Monday, saw the Global Entry sign and asked if there was a special line since we have it, too. The answer was no, but perhaps it's cruiseline or terminal-specific. This was at the RCI terminal built for Oasis and Allure (thankfully we were on Serenade). Or maybe just depends on the day of the week.

At Port Everglades we met fellow cruisers at baggage claim. New friends. The four of us shared a cab. 12 bucks per couple included a nice tip. Same story on debarkation: found a couple in front of us, shared the cab back to FLL. Traded cruise stories on the short ride. Easy. Efficient. Economical.

I don't think that Uber is allowed to pick up passengers at LAX just yet. I would check with a towncar service (I don't like shared van services because they often circle the airport until they're full); we use Apex Transportation. Pricier, but not all that expensive and it's curb (or baggage claim for an extra fee) to the ship with no interruption and no meter.

I took Uber from LAX to San Pedro, but it was one of the upgraded levels. It was a Lincoln Town Car, very nice, free bottle of water, etc. I think it was about $70.

At Port Everglades we met fellow cruisers at baggage claim. New friends. The four of us shared a cab. 12 bucks per couple included a nice tip. Same story on debarkation: found a couple in front of us, shared the cab back to FLL. Traded cruise stories on the short ride. Easy. Efficient. Economical.

If you paid $12 a couple to the airport, you were rippped off! The taxi fare is only about $12-$14 total (for the entire cab). In fact, this past Tuesday DW and I grabbed a taxi from Port Everglades to FLL and the meter was about $12.50 (we paid $15 with tip).

Hank

• 7 months later...

Does anyone Have experience with the Princess transfer after a cruise from Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades to the Miami airport?

Are the buses able to handle luggage.? Meaning does your luggage travel with you on the same bus. I think it's only about An hour ride.

I posted on the East Coast departures, but I'm not really getting concrete information, seems like people are just giving information without really having have the experience. I have mostly cruised out of the West Coast and now pretty much the ins and outs of San Pedro port ,but not Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks.

Julie

Does anyone Have experience with the Princess transfer after a cruise from Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades to the Miami airport?

Are the buses able to handle luggage.? Meaning does your luggage travel with you on the same bus. I think it's only about An hour ride.

I posted on the East Coast departures, but I'm not really getting concrete information, seems like people are just giving information without really having have the experience. I have mostly cruised out of the West Coast and now pretty much the ins and outs of San Pedro port ,but not Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks.

Julie

Unless you use the EZ baggage service, your luggage will go with you under the bus. Yes, Princess can handle your transfers. Your disembarkation time will be related to your flight time. If you don't like your disembarkation time when you get the tags in your room, take them to the passenger services desk and they'll work it out for you. If anything, they'll have you at the airport WAY early.

Just a thought, but you might get more replies if you started a new thread rather than posting at the end of a 4 year old one. On the other hand, I did read a 4 year old thread......

Edited by moki'smommy

What port?

I have the same question, what port... I have not used a cruise line transfer in years... in many cases it is just as easy and more confortable, even more expensive to arrange your own transfers.

What's funny is that just weeks before a cruise we had booked around final payment time, I was looking at the receipt and saw that we were charged for the Princess transfer. Not only did I not ask for the transfer or was not asked if we wanted to buy the transfer, but we did not NEED a transfer as we lived within driving distance of the port. And the booking agent knew it as we even talked about how cool it was that we were only 50 miles away from the port (and the booking agent knew where my community is located as it's not that far from Princess HQs).

I had to call Princess and get it cancelled and the charge refunded. I asked why was this added to our bill and the person said it's automatic. Believe me, I mentioned this on the Princess FB page and said it's ridiculous.

We purchased Princess Transfers at a cost of $48 each. I just found out that we will have to wait at the airport for over 2 1/2 hours for them to shuttle us to the ship and on the return transfer, they said our flight was too early so they couldnt accomodate us. (FYI - the flight no where near too early).

The transfers are NON-REFUNDABLE so now we are left with a very long wait for a ride to the ship and even worse having to pay for a cab on the transfer out.

Princess Cruises did not notify us that our flight home was "too early" and the only way I found this out is because I called them to find out where to print the transfers. They said they sent us an e-mail notifying us. I can assure you, they did not do this. I read every Princess e-mail.

I requested to be reinbursed via on board credit and was refused. Conveniently, Princess Cruises was unable to allow me to give my survey at the end of this disturbing phone conversation.

Never have and never will.

Never say never because there are ports where it makes sense. If the airport or city is a couple of hours from the port, there's little or no public transportation, you don't speak the language, etc., you'll be thrilled to see the Princess rep. :)

Pam thanks for your posts - your experience and advice is very helpful indeed!

We've been on 9 Carib cruises, we take mostly land vacations anymore. I booked our first Princess cruise (and first Panama Canal round trip) for my wife's 60th birthday in January. I wanted to book the full transit because we love Mexico, but I know she wanted the 10-day partial.

We usually fly in the day before, this time we're flying into FLL the day the ship sails. We are scheduled to arrive FLL 11:30AM, and the ship departs 4PM. So I figured if all goes well we'd have plenty of time. I also buy trip insurance for all travel. So I'm thinking the Princess transfer isn't critical (if all goes well), but... With the same day arrival I'm questioning that...

What's funny is that just weeks before a cruise we had booked around final payment time' date=' I was looking at the receipt and saw that we were charged for the Princess transfer. Not only did I not ask for the transfer or was not asked if we wanted to buy the transfer, but we did not NEED a transfer as we lived within driving distance of the port. And the booking agent knew it as we even talked about how cool it was that we were only 50 miles away from the port (and the booking agent knew where my community is located as it's not that far from Princess HQs).

I had to call Princess and get it cancelled and the charge refunded. I asked why was this added to our bill and the person said it's automatic. Believe me, I mentioned this on the Princess FB page and said it's ridiculous.[/quote']

Very odd. We've used them sometimes, other times not. And we've specified when we wanted them. On our next trip we are using them to the terminal but not back (we are staying a while after the cruise). No problems, no matter what we chose.

Very odd. We've used them sometimes' date=' other times not. And we've specified when we wanted them. On our next trip we are using them to the terminal but not back (we are staying a while after the cruise). No problems, no matter what we chose.[/quote']

It certainly was strange that it would be foisted upon us that time. I don't know why it took me a second look to see that charge. And why we were even charged when we weren't flying in, taking a train, or staying at a hotel.

We have never even considered a transfer from the cruise line as we would always get to our embarkation port (unless we're leaving from San Pedro) at least a day ahead and would take a shuttle service or taxi to the port on the day of our cruise. That way, we're in control of when we're getting to the pier. And after a cruise from another port, we would either stay post-cruise or make sure our flight is scheduled with plenty of time to get to the airport.

A few years ago traveling via Princess air the plane we where to travel on from Vancouver to LA via Alaska Airlines was cancelled after we had been checked in.The airport noticed we were Cruise passengers by our Princess label which I had attached to my in cabin luggage and transferred us on a later flight with another airline.In the meantime I telephoned the Princess delay flight number and informed them.On arrival in LA Princess Representative met us and guided us to a private taxi that Princess paid for.

We usually fly in the day before, this time we're flying into FLL the day the ship sails. We are scheduled to arrive FLL 11:30AM, and the ship departs 4PM. So I figured if all goes well we'd have plenty of time. I also buy trip insurance for all travel. So I'm thinking the Princess transfer isn't critical (if all goes well), but... With the same day arrival I'm questioning that...

If the flight is delayed (and we all know that can happen), or there's a problem with luggage, that doesn't sound like plenty of time at all!

In that situation, personally I'd be booking the Princess transfer because that way, the ship will wait for you if necessary.