Ports or Sea Days?

How do you choose your cruises?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. How do you choose your cruises?

• Number of Ports
    • Number of Sea Days
    • Depends on the destination
    • Really don't care ... just put me on the sea :)

If we've done this before, forgive me. I've been looking at European cruises just for fun and thinking about 2007 and I see they are heavy on ports. I always enjoy sea days partially because I enjoy them and partially to catch my breath between ports.

Whenever we book a Caribbean cruise, I try to find cruises with the most sea days because that's really where I want to be.

So I was wondering how you all feel. Do you tend to choose your cruises based on number of ports or number of sea days?

I can deal with port days if I'm in the Southern Caribbean or any port-intensive itinerary, but I prefer the sea days. Those "if-this-is-Tuesday" schedules aren't my scene. I always love it when people say that they loved their cruise, except for being on the ship. :confused:

I prefer a mix. Sea days are great to catch your breath as Heather mentioned. But there are lots of places I'm eager to see, so I very much enjoy port stops as well. As much as I would enjoy cruising Hawaii, five days at sea in a row are just too much for my liking. I get antsy and ready to get off and explore after several days in a row.

So far we have cruised to only the Bahamas and Caribbean. For East Carib I like more sea days (been there, done that...). For West and South I like more ports, since there are some we haven't yet experienced.

I don't even mind missing a port. Actually, now that I've already voted, I guess you could put me on a ship going anywhere and I'd be happy!

i too choose on both destinations and ports - but, in general, if there are more than 2 sea days out of 7 then i'm inclined to go with a land-based all-inclusive somewhere rather than a cruise.

Sea days are normally the attraction to us with a few favorable ports sprinkled in -- one exception to this would be our coming cruise to Antarctica, but then, there are 20 days and only about 5 ports -- so there you are!

If I were to board a ship that set out for a month of sea days, interrupted ever so infrequently for scenic cruising days, well, that works for me. :)

But that's not how I choose a cruise, of course. I book a cruise that somehow strikes my fancy. It has to have at least as many sea days as port days, and preferably coolish weather, but beyond that I have no idea why I pick what I do. :confused:

At Sea is my favorite port. I love to relax and have nothing to do all day. I love the motion of the ocean. At Sea is paradise as far as I am concerned.

My ability to walk is impaired and so my port time and activity is limited. When I'm onboard a ship, I feel as though it is an enviroinment I can master. I actually feel less claustrophobic and confined on a ship than anywhere else I have ever been.

Linda

Darn, I voted, them realized you could vote for more than one:o Actually we prefer more Sea Days but it also depends on destination. Our next cruise doing New England/Canada is so very port intensive with only one sea day. We would much rather have several sea days but who know this will be really different for us. It sounds strange but I would not mind having all sea days but just slow down near the caribbean islands so I can see the beautiful blue:)

I voted for number of ports but I found the choices somewhat confusing.:confused:

Ports are import but the number is dependent on the length of the cruise, for instance 8 ports on a 10 cruise versus 5 ports on a 10 day cruise.

Destination also comes into play. Look at a round trip to Hawaii. It will have a high number of sea days,same thing when crossing the Pond.

We don't book a cruise for a single reason. Ports, destination, number of days and price all get factored in.

Darn, I didn't realize I could vote for more than one. I voted "I don't really care- just put me on the sea" but I would have also voted for "sea days".

That's why I like Hawaii. 5 or 6 days out, 5 or six days round the islands and 5 or 6 days back.

I prefer a port-intensive cruise. I'm really not that interested in bingo, art auctions, or sitting by a swimming pool (I have a pool at home.) I just get ansty on sea days. Also, I really love seeing new places, and that's what I love about cruising -- being able to sample a little bit of a lot of places in one trip. Then I can always plan to go back and spend more time at my favorite places. (P.S. - This is why I take an inside cabin, I'm NEVER in my room!)

I prefer a port-intensive cruise. I'm really not that interested in bingo, art auctions, or sitting by a swimming pool (I have a pool at home.) I just get ansty on sea days. Also, I really love seeing new places, and that's what I love about cruising -- being able to sample a little bit of a lot of places in one trip. Then I can always plan to go back and spend more time at my favorite places. (P.S. - This is why I take an inside cabin, I'm NEVER in my room!)

calgalcruiser, I also do not like bingo, art auctions and I too have a pool at home but there is something so peaceful about being able to relax, read and walk the the outside deck. I never know where the time goes on sea days, we really never take part in any type of activities other than I might go to the spa and I do work out early in the morning. I think it is because i am extremely busy at work 6 days a week so I cherish the peaceful quiet days at sea.

I guess this is why cruising fits many different types of people:)

I love sea days, but the destination is more important. A European Cruise is almost always going to be port-intensive, something which I understand and consider it as a necessary trade-off for getting to cruise in Europe.

On the 12-day Baltic cruise that I'll probably be taking in July 2006 there will be just 3 sea days.

We love sea so we have taken both transatlantic cruises as well as one from Hawaii to the West coast. However, when in Europe, we prefer port days because there is so much to see.

Our ideal cruise, combine both: several European ports prior to a tranatlantic

For us it depends on the cruise line!

On HAL we like to have LOTS of port stops. We always pick HAL for "port intensive" cruises because it suits us to return to a very laid back ship when we're busy in ports each day. :)

On the other hand ... we'd go NUTS on a HAL ship with too many days at sea! :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived