Do not fall for the GYM/SPA marketing trash!

Universe93B

Paul,

I posted that picture so people know what I'm talking about. Or an example of what they write.

Why did you write all that stuff out? I already know those are facts. But that's how they draw you in, to tell you about Algae pills to "detox" your liver and kidneys. There are absolutely no medical studies to prove that these treatments lead to a better outcome. (I'm talking about good quality studies, randomized controlled trials if you know about them).

TaxiDriver,

I typed them out to verify what you were disputing and since you already knew they were facts, why'd you post the picture? ;)

Algae pills detox liver and kidneys? Well, algae is going to power America according to Obama so detoxing liver and kidneys should be quite simple for algae. :D

I am aware of randomized clinical trials and I'm also aware of the strong hand of control by the FDA in approving new or inovative medicines and medical devices. If the FDA had been around in it's current form a century ago we'd not be dispensing any antibiotics nor doing any invasive procedures today. CPR? Forget it; the dead can't give their consent to new unproven procedures according to the FDA.

What were those pills that were popular a few years ago for detoxing? Agave, agulupe, acai or something. Then there was pomegranate? Whatever it is now it's safe to say it's high on fiber and extra heavy on indigestable carbs and without a doubt they'll destool you and if your body's toxins are in your stool, you'll be detoxed. :eek: You'll also lose weight, but once you eat a few meals that weight will be right back because it was all the food you had eaten over the past few days prior to that massive BM that accounted for the weight loss.

I know where you're coming from and I do agree they put forth facts and questionable statements as well; I just wasn't sure whether you were disputing the whole detox issue or the facts in the brochure you posted. I also don't feel that an FDA or DEA stamp of approval is required for something that may work for some people. Not one thing will work for everyone so if someone at some time was in some way helped by their snake oil then it can't be all bad.

Is it really algae they are peddling now? Obama would be pleased that somebody has found a use for his idea. :cool:

I had to chuckle reading this thread. The ships have a spa trying to "detox" you and the bars to get you as toxic as possible. I'll take my chances and spend my money at the bar. Taking algea pills doesn't sound all that appealing to me. To each their own, but I'm on vacation, the last thing on my mind is trying to be healthy! :D

Blueboss,

The entire idea of cruise vacations is contradictory; Escape from everything and everybody............with 3500 strangers and a crew of 1200. Whatever the logic of it all, it has me hook, line, and sinker. ;)

....................... I was amused that there were women bigger than me working in the spa. I wanted to ask why they weren't all using it!

CaribbeanLuver,

LMAO I noticed and thought that too. :D

just because things arent proven dosent mean its not true. the gov will never approve natural medicine/algae pills. theres no money in it for them. and the little company selling there algae or other natural herb cant afford to pay lobbyist millions of dollars to prove their claims. people can say its quackery or whatever but your just ignorant and dont care about your health too much

I had to chuckle reading this thread. The ships have a spa trying to "detox" you and the bars to get you as toxic as possible. I'll take my chances and spend my money at the bar. Taking algea pills doesn't sound all that appealing to me. To each their own, but I'm on vacation, the last thing on my mind is trying to be healthy! :D

I've always thought that, too- along with the weight loss seminars and seaweed/mud baths that "make you lose inches- instantly". Well, hustle on up to the buffet :confused: and see how many MORE inches you can add! Make no sense at all.

just because things arent proven dosent mean its not true. the gov will never approve natural medicine/algae pills. theres no money in it for them. and the little company selling there algae or other natural herb cant afford to pay lobbyist millions of dollars to prove their claims. people can say its quackery or whatever but your just ignorant and dont care about your health too much

You think the stuff they sell in the spa is worth buying?

I hate it when they push products on you in the spa too! It takes away the whole point of relaxing!! I'll have to remember to start putting the "Do not want to purchase products" on my forms also.

I may give that a try too. I stopped going to ship spas years ago because I got so sick of the hard sell AFTER I just paid a fortune to try to relax.

My daughter is a registered dental hygienist and she has a fit when she sees the advertising for Teeth Whitening. She wants to ask them how many hours of dental training did they have before they were able to perform this procedure and which state are they registered in to practice said procdedure.

Disagree. There is plenty of money to be and being made in quakery, at the expense of people with medical maladies real and imagined, too ill informed to know better! And 99.99% of these so-called "natural", "alternative medicine", ancient healing stuff is indeed quakery! Homeopathic products for example are diluted to the extent that they are no more that pure water, or fillers for those that are in tablet form. Ear candle waxing is another "treatment" that does nothing and can leave wax residual inside the ears, yet is pushed as being "cleansive".

What I love is all the claims of the ancient healing techniques of acupuncture/acupressure that get pushed by the spas. These are about as ancient as your grandma. Acupuncture was devised in the 1930s by a Chinese non-physican based on that ancient "proven" technique of blood-letting. it languished until the late 1950s/60s when Mao, in one of his many "Great Leap Backwards" schemes brought in into the fore simply because it was Chinese not Western. Acupressure is a derivative of acupuncture simply because many Westerners are squeamish around needles. Neither "cure" anything.

The garbage they push on people on these cruises amazes me sometimes. From detox seminars to weight loss. The one that really gets me though is the acupuncture. Sure, now there's a good idea. I'm going to let someone poke me with needles in the middle of the ocean with no idea of their credentials. If they screw up big time, I'm going to have lots of luck pursuing them now aren't I?

Seems to me that the duty-free booze is a pretty good deal that I always try to take advantage of. Maybe cigarettes too, but I live in a state that has one of the highest taxes on them.

Duty-free doesn't mean profit free. There are better deals in places like St Maartens.

My daughter is a registered dental hygienist and she has a fit when she sees the advertising for Teeth Whitening. She wants to ask them how many hours of dental training did they have before they were able to perform this procedure and which state are they registered in to practice said procdedure.

They don't have to be registered in any state - cruise ships are foreign flagged and if you find any Americans working on them, it will be by accident.

Yep, I was one of the dumb ones. There was a seminar called, no more bad hair days. I thought it was something about how to style your hair on the fly, something that would help me. So I went. I was the only one there. All it was, was a big push for their salon shampoo and all these other products I should use. I felt so bad being the only one there, I bought a $42 bottle of shampoo. Obviously now, I wish I could get that $42 back, I used the shampoo once on the ship and went back to my normal shampoo. What an idiot! But I know to never go again!

I think it's pretty common knowledge that those spa deals are sales ploys. Same goes for the shore shopping talks, gold by the inch, etc.

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that gold by the inch is not the best bargain in the whole world?

I was going to buy DW about 20ft of the stuff.icon12.gif

You get these people selling this stuff talking and they seem to be brainwashed into how great and wonderful their crap is.

Like to ask a question that we know the answer to and listen to them twisting things around

Okay, I don't understand your post. Do you think the products like algae pills and stuff from the spa and gym are worth buying?

We probably all learned long ago to think with our head and not our heart.

However, we all likely forget and succomb to these types of pitches once as well. As long as we learn from our mistakes, little harm is done. That is speaking strictly for a consenting adult. If we feel stupid having fallen for a silly product, then we will likely not repeat the mistake. And as others have said, the sale of many of these products keeps the price of cruising at a level we can afford.

Ciao,

Nikki

Detox, cleansing and etc all buzz words that have no validity. Your body will clean itself if you give it a chance and start eating properly. Everyone wants a quick easy pill and will fall for anything if they can just push that easy button.

We attended one. They wanted $50 to analyze us and then recommend a plan. We asked a question and he got hostile telling us that we are stupid Americans that are brainwashed by our government. He knew that he couldnt sell us anything as both my wife and I exercise, eat properly, and are trim and healthy.

He then said that I was stupid and why I was wasting my time by attending the seminar when it was apparent that I didn't need it. I told him that I am always looking for a way to improve and learn. He said than shut up and listen, let me finish and don't ask any questions.

The whole thing is a joke. We always write on the comment cards that they should be eliminated form the cruises

Archived