Do not fall for the GYM/SPA marketing trash!

Universe93B

Do not fall for what they tell you in those free seminars about weight loss and body detoxification. Recently saw a couple lectures in action on the Carnival Valor. They will tell you good information, and then say you need to "detox" your body, and then proceed to tell you about selling you a 6 or 9 month course of algae pills. You think they are just telling you good tips on how to exercise and diet, but absolutely not.

The picture below is a health assessment that many on the ship were doing, and it's a total waste of money. They sell it by telling you it will determine how "toxic" your body is. And after that, they say that "toxic" results from the machine can result in cancer and you need to buy algae pills to "detox" your body. I personally saw them scaring so many people into this, and some ppl I had to pull aside and stop. Total BS. There is no science behind this. Just saying, be careful if you are into the gym/spa and health lectures. Being in the medical profession, I was just annoyed at the ridiculous lies these trainers were talking.

carnivalgym.jpg

Related, but unrelated.

Whenever I book a spa service anymore (learned this after the first couple times on a cruise!) I always add to my questionairre, "I do not want to be offered products for purchase."

There is a HEAVY push to purchase spa products after you receive a service. I don't want the products, just the massage, please!

Since I've added the line, the end of my sessions have been much more relaxing rather than having to overcome a sales pitch.

I hate it when they push products on you in the spa too! It takes away the whole point of relaxing!! I'll have to remember to start putting the "Do not want to purchase products" on my forms also.

Related, but unrelated.

Whenever I book a spa service anymore (learned this after the first couple times on a cruise!) I always add to my questionairre, "I do not want to be offered products for purchase."

Great Idea!

Related, but unrelated.

There is a HEAVY push to purchase spa products after you receive a service. I don't want the products, just the massage, please!

Since I've added the line, the end of my sessions have been much more relaxing rather than having to overcome a sales pitch.

I say something similar and add that you don't try and sell me something and I will leave a NICE tip! Sales pitch = no tip!

Just a side note- don't fall for the teeth whitening either- at least not in the beginning! It makes your gums extremely sore and you won't be able to eat all of the delicious food- for days.

I don't think the people who get badgered into paying for those miracle health treatments fully believe the hype either -- I think many of them simply can't say no to a smooth sales pitch. People on vacation want to feel that they can splurge a little and maybe enjoy things that they don't allow themselves in their routine lives. They drop their defenses, and whammo, they're hit from every direction. From the Spa to the Gym to the Auction, it's like walking into an infomercial.

From my perspective, making the most out of a Carnival Cruise means avoiding paying for anything additional -- it's almost always overpriced.

Sometimes I think people go out of curiosity as well and hopefully walk away. Good reminder as I'm going this Sunday.

Related, but unrelated.

What a great idea! For those who have done this, do they completely not say anything about products, or do they make some general statement? I will do this on my cruise!

The stone cold skeptic in me is annoyed at these phony sales pitches, but the cheapskate in me realizes -- as others have pointed out -- that cruising would be more expensive were it not for people willing to burn their money.

Do not fall for what they tell you in those free seminars about weight loss and body detoxification. Recently saw a couple lectures in action on the Carnival Valor. They will tell you good information, and then say you need to "detox" your body, and then proceed to tell you about selling you a 6 or 9 month course of algae pills. You think they are just telling you good tips on how to exercise and diet, but absolutely not.

The picture below is a health assessment that many on the ship were doing, and it's a total waste of money. They sell it by telling you it will determine how "toxic" your body is. And after that, they say that "toxic" results from the machine can result in cancer and you need to buy algae pills to "detox" your body. I personally saw them scaring so many people into this, and some ppl I had to pull aside and stop. Total BS. There is no science behind this. Just saying, be careful if you are into the gym/spa and health lectures. Being in the medical profession, I was just annoyed at the ridiculous lies these trainers were talking.

carnivalgym.jpg

TaxiDriver,

Not believing something doesn't mean it isn't true. Why'd you post the pic of the brochure? Much of that info is proven facts and the remainder isn't a sales pitch, but perhaps leads into one.

Lean Body Mass: Lean body mass dictates your basal nutrition needs and metabolic rate.

True.

Hydration Levels: Overall performance of the human body will drop by an average of 33% if insufficiently hydrated.

33% may be the average, but will drop a lot further if insufficiently hydrated.

Metabolic rate: This is the number of calories your body burns at rest in 24 hours.

True.

Levels of 'true' water retention: True water retention causes fat pockets to form in specific areas of the body.

I'm not sure what 'true' they're referring to, but if by chance water is retained in an area where fat cells are located, then they will become larger.

Body's toxic status: Many scientists are in agreement that the major cause of degenerative disease and cancer is internal toxicity.

I'm sure some scientists would conclude this and ultimately the level of toxins do determine progession of both cancer and degenerative diseases.

The only ship board spa we've spent much time in was on Dream and they had sales pitches similar to what you're describing; I'd have been surprised if they didn't. With that said, it didn't take away from our enjoyment of the spa.

Paul,

I posted that picture so people know what I'm talking about. Or an example of what they write.

Why did you write all that stuff out? I already know those are facts. But that's how they draw you in, to tell you about Algae pills to "detox" your liver and kidneys. There are absolutely no medical studies to prove that these treatments lead to a better outcome. (I'm talking about good quality studies, randomized controlled trials if you know about them).

On my last cruise on the Freedom my husband and I got a couple's massage. After we were done they took us in a room to try and sell us products. They tried to sell me a product called Fat Girl Slim that was supposed to get rid of cellulite. I told them if they had a cream that really got rid of cellulite, I'm pretty sure everyone would have already bought it. But thanks for making me feel even MORE self-conscious in my swimsuit! Not a good name for a product they are trying to sell you after they have been massaging your naked body. However, I was amused that there were women bigger than me working in the spa. I wanted to ask why they weren't all using it!

I don't think there is anything on a cruise ship for sale that you can't buy cheaper somewhere else, but if you do buy any of the products from the Spa and have buyers remorse, haven't opened, and are still on the ship, return them for credit. Easy, peasy.

I forgot to include shore excursions on my previous list.

I don't think there is anything on a cruise ship for sale that you can't buy cheaper somewhere else, but if you do buy any of the products from the Spa and have buyers remorse, haven't opened, and are still on the ship, return them for credit. Easy, peasy.

I forgot to include shore excursions on my previous list.

Seems to me that the duty-free booze is a pretty good deal that I always try to take advantage of. Maybe cigarettes too, but I live in a state that has one of the highest taxes on them.

Whether beauty products or booze or slot machines, everything is overpriced on a cruise ship. No need to single anything out, they are all revenue centers.

Anything with the terms "toxins" or "detox" is a sham. Plain and simple. May as well have Tarot card readings too. "Heck add in coffee enemas and "liver flushing" as well.

That said, if there are folks willing to pay for stuff like that, Carnival has every right to try and make a buck off of them.

I had to chuckle reading this thread. The ships have a spa trying to "detox" you and the bars to get you as toxic as possible. I'll take my chances and spend my money at the bar. Taking algea pills doesn't sound all that appealing to me. To each their own, but I'm on vacation, the last thing on my mind is trying to be healthy! :D

Archived