Back from Allure--Is Big Better? Not For Us

I believe Sunshine class will just be just a downsized Oasis. If that is true, still too big. By the way, we also enjoy Celebrity Solstice...still rather large, but not so over the top.

Thanks for the Answer. As the saying goes don't knock it till you try it... You tried it and reported back both what you did and did not like. Some of the things you listed that you didn't like may actually be things that other people like.

Thank you.

I know you indicated you went on this cruise with an open mind however you admitted you dislike the Voyager class ships already so I would imagine that would be rather difficult to do on a big ship like the Allure.

As for the Royal Promenade, I personally don't get the "shopping mall" comments and the "inward" feel that some complain about. The area is on one deck, it takes about 1/3 space on that one deck and if you want a view of the ocean at the moment, simply take a step outside to the promenade deck.

I agree with a lot of your post. Having done Oasis and Allure, I don't think we'll be going back to either of them anytime soon. Mainly because of the itineraries.

We love the Radiance class, especially the aft balconies. We also found the food on the Serenade in Feb far better than the big ships.

There has been a constant theme with most people who didn't enjoy the Oasis/Allure experience.

That is with the overall limited views looking out to the ocean. Everything it seems like faces inward...

almost every bar, specialty dining restaurant and the Royal Promenade face in. I was really disappointed

not being able to find a nice table along side a big window to have a drink at sailaway. Also how could

they completely close you in at every single specialty restaurant and not offer even one with windows???

I believe they completely miss this error in their design stage and hopefully will correct it with the next

generation of "Project Sunshine" ships.

For me though I have no interest in ever cruising on these two ships again no matter how they

eventually discount them.

You know OP, I get your review. I understand totally that there is too much hype on the larger ships for you taste.

One reason why I chose FOS last summer was because RCI is so family oriented and has so much "to do"

I think the Oasis class is very popular and relevent for certain travlers, but that is why there are different cruises.

Thanks for you review. You might save someone who does not have kids, the trouble of going and spending the moeny for all the hype that they are not into.

Me? I want to go on Oasis/Allure really bad. My 12 ye old doesnt like cruising. Go figure. He misses our cats

Thank you for your comments. If I had children I think I would go just to please them. After seeing all the comments regarding inward views, I don't think I would like the ship. I never really thought about it until reading reviews of the two, but I now realise how much I loved to sit in the afternoon in a big comfortable chair with a cocktail and just gazing out onto the sea.

As for food...well that is something that is difficult. Having catered I know how hard it is to get x number of plates out almost at the same time. Doing that requires food to be held and when you hold it, the taste deteriorates or it toughens or gets rubbery. One of the reasons the food is much better in the paying venues is it is more like a land based restaurant. You control the covers which makes it easier to put out a good product. I would believe that the larger the ship, the more passengers, the worse the food will be. I have never been on anything considered a "big" ship which is maybe why I don't think the food has been that bad. My two cents.

I know you indicated you went on this cruise with an open mind however you admitted you dislike the Voyager class ships already so I would imagine that would be rather difficult to do on a big ship like the Allure.

As for the Royal Promenade, I personally don't get the "shopping mall" comments and the "inward" feel that some complain about. The area is on one deck, it takes about 1/3 space on that one deck and if you want a view of the ocean at the moment, simply take a step outside to the promenade deck.

Believe me, we did go on board with an open mind as the Allure/Oasis are dramatically different than other other ships. But, also believe me, as others say here, that the inward/shopping mall is not just my imagination. Think about the center of other Royal ships (i.e., the Centrum) and the openness. Read atanac's comments above this one.

Familygoboston, we did have a balcony and certainly enjoyed it with two room service breakfasts and afternoon reading. And, as I noted, the Solarium was a highlight; we spent a lot of time there. But the views throughout the Radiance class ships are just so wonderful. The food? Well, our first cruise with Royal was in 1998, with many to follow, and DW and I just feel the meals were definitely a step up in those early days. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have sailed every class of ship that Royal has, and the Oasis is my favorite by far. Please, enlighten me about what it so wonderful about the views throughout the Radience class ships, as I said, I have sailed that class, more than once. I just don't get what people get so hung up about looking out and seeing water, water, and more water. It's nice, and we always get a balcony, but not being able to see the WATER from every place we go is not important!

Madison, thanks for your reviews for this ship. My family and I just book for March of 2013 for my sons graduation. My question is what port did you stop at for Haiti? I see it being one of our stops but not sure if they are really going there. Also when you did port did you have to take the little boats to the shore or they were ablet to get into port? Thanks I have my mom going and want to know what to expect. Thanks again.

My question is what port did you stop at for Haiti?

The stop in Haiti is a private area for Royal Caribbean passengers. They now have a pier there; previously, ships (other ships, not Oasis) tendered guests. It's perfectly safe and the buffet lunch offered there is brought from the ship.

Also when you did port did you have to take the little boats to the shore or they were ablet to get into port?

Allure and Oasis carry too many passengers to use tender boats. You will always dock at a port with a pier, no worries.

After seeing all the comments regarding inward views, I don't think I would like the ship. I never really thought about it until reading reviews of the two, but I now realise how much I loved to sit in the afternoon in a big comfortable chair with a cocktail and just gazing out onto the sea.

There's always the Viking Crown Lounge for that. And honestly, that's the Voyager class and up design - even the Schooner and Champagne Bars are now lifeboat view instead of ocean view. Oasis/Allure just make them worse IMO by making them completely indoors.

There are plenty of places to see the ocean, but I prefer not to have to work at it. :)

I have sailed every class of ship that Royal has, and the Oasis is my favorite by far. Please, enlighten me about what it so wonderful about the views throughout the Radience class ships, as I said, I have sailed that class, more than once. I just don't get what people get so hung up about looking out and seeing water, water, and more water. It's nice, and we always get a balcony, but not being able to see the WATER from every place we go is not important!

I sort of get what you are saying. Although we do choose a balcony cabin because we do in fact like to see the water, yet I do not expect to see it from every vantage point. Just goes to show ya once again that people have different likes. Only for the fact of larger balconies I looked into aft cabins. I have to admit the balcony might be nice but I'm not loving the WAKE. Doesn't appeal to me. So the good part about all of this is everyone likes different things. Like someone else said, that keeps everyone from being at the same place at the same time.

CC seems to really help to let us know what we are interested in or not...

Say, I am glad you enjoy the Oasis class. Many do and many, like me, do not. And, yes, believe it or not, I go on a cruise to see WATER...the serene sea, the sweeping vistas, the islands in the distance. I could go on. Have you been on a Radiance ship? You should try it! If I want to be enclosed in a mall-like environment, with lounges that are beautiful but offer no outside views, with upscale shops, frequent crowds, I would go to Las Vegas! Which I do every five years or so. I try to cruise at least once a year for the WATER, the service, the camaraderie on board with fellow cruisers, and the great value.

Say, I am glad you enjoy the Oasis class. Many do and many, like me, do not. And, yes, believe it or not, I go on a cruise to see WATER...the serene sea, the sweeping vistas, the islands in the distance. I could go on. Have you been on a Radiance ship? You should try it! If I want to be enclosed in a mall-like environment, with lounges that are beautiful but offer no outside views, with upscale shops, frequent crowds, I would go to Las Vegas! Which I do every five years or so. I try to cruise at least once a year for the WATER, the service, the camaraderie on board with fellow cruisers, and the great value.

Thanks for your review, and I applaud you for being great in your criticisms and not somehow turning this into an Oasis bashing.

I've only been on the Allure, but may end up on a Radiance next summer (still in the planning phases). I enjoyed the Allure, but can see how a lack of sea might be an issue for some.

Great thread! Those ships are not for me. Just my personal opinion. They are amazing though. In terms of food, we eat some of the best food here on the coast of RI. Seafood is off the boat and local restaurants are awesome! That being said, I have not hated cruise food. It get's the job done. My husband can't understand why I order baked stuffed lobster from Spain Restaurant, when we get it free. However, no one makes it like SPain, so I'm used to being dissapointed when it comes to food.

Definately like the intimacy of the smaller ships.

I definitely would like to add and agree with what you said here. I do agree with you that the ships get their food preparation jobs done and will not complain on any them no matter how distasteful certain dishes are. I also have to side with you when you said that the best food is on land/the coast. The best seafood I've ever had was in Massachusetts and the best steaks were in California. However, I have only been on 2 cruises and cannot definitively say at this time that I haven't had any phenomenal cuisines worth remembering. Yet, I'm optimistic on discovering that there are awesome dishes on the cruise lines that I will choose in the future whether it's RCI's Allure, Celebrity, Cunard, Oceania, etc.

As for the big versus small ships, I will say that after our big ship experience next month, we will probably not be return passengers (Oasis class) for a while. I want to be able to say that I did experience the big ship atmosphere and will be able to give a fair assessment without passing judgment. So what's the reason for not returning? It has nothing to do with the big ships. There are tons of different cruise lines to choose from and we would like to able to experience as much as we can on what other lines have to offer and determine as to which one is indeed our favorite option. I'm determined to make my wish list come true! :)

For the most part, thanks to the size of the ship, people are spread out rather well. We did face crowds during events on the Royal Promenade (for example, Captain's welcome; the disco party), practically shoulder to shoulder. No fun. Of course, shows drew a lot of folks, but that often is the case. Of interest, leaving the ship in ports was a breeze, even early in the day!

Remarkably, even though we were on a spring break cruise, the many kids on board were never an issue for us! Of course, we hung out at the Solarium frequently, but the kids pools, special rooms for them, etc., really worked. So, enjoy your kids and don't worry about the others. And, yes, try to get into Chops.

I keep trying to get into Chops or the other places. Its not easy when you have an 11 year old as all of the bookings are full until late (9pm or so). She isn't allowed in after 7. I do find this really funny as she has better manners then my hubby and 2 teenage sons :rolleyes:

I sent an email to concierge to see if they hold reservations for suite guest.

As to lunch, we might try one for lunch. However I do have kids/young adults. They are going to want to be in the pool,flowriders, zip line or other activities during the day. I don't see them getting dressed to go to lunch!

I might be able to sneak away with hubby for a nice quiet lunch ... though he most likely will be on the flowrider or zip line as well HA HA

I am pretty much considering lunch a wing it kind of thing. If nothing else, we can go into the CL and have sandwiches.

To get more people to cruise, you need less "ship" and more resort/hotel/mall/amusement park, etc. Thus the reason for Oasis and Allure. How do they pay to build and operate these floating resorts? Well, aside from needing to pack them full, they need somewhat attractive rates, then they nickle and dime you once on board. It's really not a bad deal overall, but I'm tired of hearing about the decline in quality of the complimentary food. This is yet another way they get you to the "nominal cost" restaurants on board.

Why not just get it done with, and charge for everything, just like the airlines do in coach?

Very honest review. Thanks!

We are sailing May 27th on the Allure. I will admit this ship was not my first choice. We have 3 older children (17,15,11) who were dying to sail on it.

My concerns are mostly the ones you spoke about. I have seen tons of reviews about the quality of food in the dining room. One or two reviews and you take it with a grain of salt. I have seen about a 100 complaining about the food. I tried to get into Chops or Giovanni's Table but they are booked solid for the times I need. My daughter is an angel but is 11 so can't dine after 7 as per the rules. I am hoping concierge will be able to book our dining.

Did the ship seem crowded to you? That is another one of my concerns. I am hoping everyone spreads out nicely. I know some people have different expectations then others so asking if it felt crowded is kind of subjective LOL I love MY kids but not so crazy about other people's kids :D ok .. ok.. so I tolerate my children (shhh don't tell them I said that Ha Ha)

I am concerned that there will be a huge crowd of kids and it will be Fantasyland at the Dumbo ride all over again :eek:

Just off of the Oasis with our 2 17 & 14 year olds. The ship never felt crowded and we enjoyed the main dining room. We were on Deck 8 and never once went to the Windjammer as the Park Cafe is great for b'fast & lunch(roast beef sand) and never crowded.

Loved the running track every morning with our sons!!

After twice on Oasis and Freedom our kids like the Freedom more as it's easier to find their friends after they get seperated. Oasis is perhaps too big!

My husband and I prefer the Radiance class also. The space is well planned out, bigger dance floors and lots of windows. We also feel the "shopping malls"are wasted space. Wedid sail on the Allure last July. We earned enough points on the RC Visa to pay for most of the cabin fees. It really is the best bang for the buck regarding the "free" cruise at 125,000 points. We loved the Allure. Yes, I agree with the comments, but it is an amazing ship. So many details that I have heard people request over the years, were added. We really enjoyed it.

Regarding the food on all the ships, it needs to be redone. I am getting tired of the same menues.

Beth

My husband and I prefer the Radiance class also. The space is well planned out, bigger dance floors and lots of windows. We also feel the "shopping malls"are wasted space. Wedid sail on the Allure last July. We earned enough points on the RC Visa to pay for most of the cabin fees. It really is the best bang for the buck regarding the "free" cruise at 125,000 points. We loved the Allure. Yes, I agree with the comments, but it is an amazing ship. So many details that I have heard people request over the years, were added. We really enjoyed it.

Regarding the food on all the ships, it needs to be redone. I am getting tired of the same menues.

Beth

Beth, per my original post, we surely are on the same page. Coincidentally, our cruise stateroom also was free thanks to the RC Visa card, too (we paid for an upgrade to a balcony). I agree Allure is a remarkable creation, but not the ship for us.

THanks for the honest review. It was good that you were forthcoming about the things that you DID enjoy. My family and I will be going on the Allure in a few months. This is my very first cruise and I am very much looking forward to it.

From reading all of these posts it seems as if the cruise industry has evolved some, as to what types of ships they build and the experiences that they offer. It seems that some flow with these changes and like them and others would prefer the earlier offerings. I see nothing wrong with either. THis is life in general.

I have never experienced any cruise so I guess that is a good thing. I can truly go in with a clear mind. I guess my review will not only be of the Allure, but of what I thought about cruising in general. I hope that this "big ship" does not taint my mind against trying the smaller ships. But I do know that I am really active and I value having a lot of options. Its hard for me to sit still for very long and enjoy the view. But I'm trying to learn.

THanks for the honest review. It was good that you were forthcoming about the things that you DID enjoy. My family and I will be going on the Allure in a few months. This is my very first cruise and I am very much looking forward to it.

From reading all of these posts it seems as if the cruise industry has evolved some, as to what types of ships they build and the experiences that they offer. It seems that some flow with these changes and like them and others would prefer the earlier offerings. I see nothing wrong with either. THis is life in general.

I have never experienced any cruise so I guess that is a good thing. I can truly go in with a clear mind. I guess my review will not only be of the Allure, but of what I thought about cruising in general. I hope that this "big ship" does not taint my mind against trying the smaller ships. But I do know that I am really active and I value having a lot of options. Its hard for me to sit still for very long and enjoy the view. But I'm trying to learn.

I know you will have a super time. You are correct -- my review and comments from others are based on comparing prior cruises. As a first-time, I look forward to reading your review :) If your family includes young children, they will have a blast! Once you get the cruise bug as many of us do, you then can consider other classes of ships. Enjoy!

Archived