Back from Allure--Is Big Better? Not For Us

I agree love your review, its right down the same road as mine. We sailed Allure last Sept and we felt it was probably the least fun cruise we ever had. When I wrote my review back then about how we didn't like it I got hammered :(. Our preference is Voyager Class ships though.

My DW and I, big-time fans of the Radiance class and not enamored with the first of the mega-ships, Voyager of the Seas, just returned from the March 25 cruise aboard the monstrous Allure of the Seas. Based on the above mindset, why would we try Allure? Well, as veteran cruises (our 18th) and Diamond members, who couldn’t be intrigued with this “wow” vessel? So, happy with long-time friends Bob and Julie joining us, we hit the open seas truly with open minds.

Specifics will follow; our top line overview: Never again on a ship this size and this layout. Yes, we experienced a number of high points, but we still significantly prefer our cruise ships be designed to focus on passengers looking out on the ocean, not inward surrounded by kitschy attractions and “neighborhoods.” Also, we don’t seek a ship that seems to be trying to replicate a Disney cruise with characters, parades and the like. And, we want a ship that pays more attention to the meals in the main dining room, rather than practically forcing guests to turn to the for-charge meals in the specialty restaurants for quality dining.

First, I will begin with the good stuff.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Chicago and Blue Planet were, hands down, the best shows we’ve ever seen on a cruise ship. Superb performances all around. Don’t miss these two shows.
  • We loved the Aqua Theater, not so much for the Ocean Aria show (average, in our minds), but for the events at night held in the ocean air, such as the 60’s dance party and the showing of the movie Grease (a sing-a-long version) on the two big screens.
  • The Solarium – spacious, tranquil, comfortable seating, great views, its own free restaurant/buffet and, yes, no kids.
  • Embarkation and debarkation, as noted by many here, simply outstanding.
  • Chops continues to deliver great cuisine.
  • Outstanding service…from our stateroom attendant Roman and gracious bar servers throughout the ship as well as our waiters and the guest relations folks.
  • Cruise director Ken Rush, an RCI institution, does a great job. Super high energy and enthusiasm, even though he would leave the ship at the end of the week for a long-awaited vacation.
  • Smoothest cruise we’ve even had…although the perfect weather certainly played a role here.

LOWLIGHTS (or not to our liking)

• As noted earlier, why go on a cruise if views to the beautiful waters and outside are de-emphasized? It begins with the dreadful Royal Promenade, a fancy name for a very wide-aisle replicate of an upscale shopping mall. Didn’t like it on Voyager, and sure didn’t like it here. I still can’t figure out why so many people consider this a plus when you can experience this at one of a thousand malls across the country. Please, enlighten me.
  • Our favorite RCI lounge, the Schooner Bar, is tucked away in a corner on the Promenade, dark, not appealing, and not very crowded. Its navigation theme going to waste when compared to other ships’ Schooners with numerous outside views. The Champagne Bar suffers similarly. So sad.
  • Another favorite of many on this board and in reviews, Central Park, is assuredly a novelty. Folks express joy at walking through the park, even listening to the piped in noise of birds chirping. Really? Listening to taped recordings of birds chirping while walking one block is a highlight? And, here too, no views of the seas, only the sky. Plus, Chops looks out on the park, but unlike other ships, nary a window looking to the real outside world.
  • Yes, I mentioned the great shows. But, as others strongly recommend, you really should, before you leave home, pick out the performances you wish to attend and reserve your seats. I understand the need for this with so many guests aboard. But the freedom and flexibility you lose are major drawbacks. I much prefer the ability to go with the flow and determine while on board when I want to see the headliner, Broadway music, etc. The Allure (and Oasis) essentially prevent this (or offer the stressful option of waiting in a line to determine how many reserved guests don’t show up before you can enter…with the worst seats available).
  • Oh, my, also as cited above, the very average quality of food in the main dining room. Another disappointing development, certainly driven by the huge numbers of diners that must be served and, certainly, a strategy to send some of us to the $pecialty restaurants. Plus, on this cruise (albeit, during spring break), the dining room was crammed with tables; I’ve never seen tables configured so tightly. I heard a couple of waiters citing the challenges of moving about. I could see why – a trip to the men’s room required some nifty maneuvering around tables and chairs.
  • While on the subject of food – the pizza at Sorrento’s was worse than the cheapest frozen variety. The praise I had heard on this board for Boardwalk Dogs is very hard to understand – mediocre and the hard buns didn’t help.
  • I had pretty much accepted the increase in the “nickel and diming” for things onboard. But what’s with the CHARGE for orange juice (and cranberry juice) in the dining room for breakfast, as well as the Café Promenade. Yet, they serve some kind of orange juice at no charge in the Windjammer. I don’t get it. And, perhaps, the ultimate insult in this area – charging for small box of popcorn on the Boardwalk. Yep, $1. I know…getting picky, here. But I’m talking about the principle here. Even tacky taverns will give away popcorn…so you can DRINK and spend more.
  • Also, as many have mentioned, the Windjammer is too small, very crowded and with much less food selection than other Royal ships. It’s simply not pleasant eating up there.
  • Although not specific to the ship, a couple of comments about the ports. Falmouth in Jamaica is a travesty…yes, likely more development is planned, but more cheap shops is not going to improve things. Guess Falmouth provides good access to other attractions like Dunn River Falls, but, in general, the country, for us, is not very appealing. In addition, we long for the days of the simpler Labadee, not the touristy feeling it has become.

I will stop here, and can answer comments and questions if folks respond. I know I’m in the minority here based on the member reviews and those on this board. Don’t get me wrong; we had a wonderful time. One can’t beat cruising. But we know the kind of ship that makes this the optimum experience – and Allure simply is not for us.

Thank you so much for your review!! I personally love the smaller ships for all of the reasons you have stated. I live 2 hours from Disney. When I want to see animation and fake streets, I go there. I want to be on a SHIP. I want to feel the movement of the ship and I want to be able to mingle with friendly passengers and not get lost in a crowd of 5000 people. I just don't see the allure on these big mega ships at all. But, others do, so they can have them.

This review not for me. I have been on the Oasis and cannot wait for my trip on the Alure.

Your LowLights are 4 - times greater than your Highlights because you did not do your homework before your trip and you must have revolved your $1 charge for whatever on a vacation should not rule the day or the Trip.

A mall? How silly.

OP, thank you for the great review. Your comments about the Promenade hit home with us and our experience on Mariner and Freedom. While it's certainly a novelty, we too felt like it was more a mall and less a cruise ship (at least that part of the ship). We like to have more of a connection to the sea.

We have been considering a cruise on Allure/Oasis. It's good to know as many positives and negatives as possible to form an educated opinion!

This review not for me. I have been on the Oasis and cannot wait for my trip on the Alure.

Your LowLights are 4 - times greater than your Highlights because you did not do your homework before your trip and you must have revolved your $1 charge for whatever on a vacation should not rule the day or the Trip.

A mall? How silly.

Mr. Guzzler, have you not read the other posts? Many agree with my view about the "mall." And, I did do plenty of homework before the cruise, believe me. We simply wanted to experience the world's largest cruise ship in person and see how it measured up. As noted, we still had a wonderful week. The fact that you've been on six Carnival cruises, apparently your preferred cruise line, may help explain your perspectives.

Mr. Guzzler, have you not read the other posts? Many agree with my view about the "mall." And, I did do plenty of homework before the cruise, believe me. We simply wanted to experience the world's largest cruise ship in person and see how it measured up. As noted, we still had a wonderful week. The fact that you've been on six Carnival cruises, apparently your preferred cruise line, may help explain your perspectives.

That was a very thoughtful and comprehensive review. I respect your opinion and I'll agree on Sorrentos and the size of the WJ but after that we part ways. Loved the Oasis and can't wait for Allure. At least you didn't fall victim to the naysayers who never actually cruised on those ships. It's all about personal likes. I've done all the current classes and enjoy them all for their various unique features. I won't accuse you of not doing your homework (:rolleyes:) because no one but you knows whether that's true. It was a silly comment to make. By the way, if you're accustomed to good pizza then in my opinion you won't find it on any cruise ship. I'll give you one more, the itineraries don't exactly excite me but for me, those ships are the itinerary. Have a great next cruise.

That was a very thoughtful and comprehensive review. I respect your opinion and I'll agree on Sorrentos and the size of the WJ but after that we part ways. Loved the Oasis and can't wait for Allure. At least you didn't fall victim to the naysayers who never actually cruised on those ships. It's all about personal likes. I've done all the current classes and enjoy them all for their various unique features. I won't accuse you of not doing your homework (:rolleyes:) because no one but you knows whether that's true. It was a silly comment to make. By the way, if you're accustomed to good pizza then in my opinion you won't find it on any cruise ship. I'll give you one more, the itineraries don't exactly excite me but for me, those ships are the itinerary. Have a great next cruise.

Appreciate your very reasonable and excellent opinions, SPD. I am sure you will enjoy the Allure. Yep, you also are correct about the pizza; coming from Chicago, our bar is set high, but we've certainly had better on other cruises. Not a big issue, though. Yes, the itinerary not the best, which makes the feel of the ship more important on the three sea days. Still, we had a wonderful time...

I agree the different class ships offer the variety we all seek. Interesting how you feel about Radiance class. That's the beauty of all of this -- different perspectives and thoughts from all of us,

Exactly. My SIL and her family just returned from an Oasis cruise and they loved it as much as we did our Allure cruise. The DH and I have been on Radiance class once and while it was a wonderful cruise, we both agreed that we much prefer the larger classes on RCCL.

Thankfully there are ships of every type to please all of us. :)

The OP didn't like the Allure before boarding and didn't like it after leaving....hum:rolleyes:. Nothing surprising there. At least he/she was consistent as far as preference.

The Allure/Oasis are brilliantly designed ships.

I also like the Radiance class...but the Allure and Oasis are amazing.

Here's my own two cents: I believe RCCL (and other companies) are building the ships bigger to make the ship itself more of a destination. Thus, they want as much stuff to do on board as possible, to keep cruisers interested, and their money flowing into the ship and not into the ports.

This strategy works, indeed, for those looking to make the cruise itself the destination. And I and my wife are two of those people. As I love Disney World, whenever I talk to non-cruisers I compare cruising as being the closest thing to Disney that I can find in terms of the separation from reality. Disney built his Florida park to take you out of the real world, and cruising does something similar for me. Once I'm on board, I'm disconnected from reality; everything I could possibly want is on board with me (food, entertainment, gambling, drinking, swimming, a place to sleep) with the added bonus that my "luxury resort hotel" wakes me up in a different city/island the next day.

IMO this is why the biggies are running the courses they do. They travel to common islands that many have visited before, to keep the focus on the ship. If/when I want to see new places, I don't care which ship I'm on; it can be smaller, if the destination is more important to me than the journey. When I just want to get away from reality and relax for a week, I want a large vessel (Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class) to give me as many alternatives as possible. I'd bet half the cruisers on those ships don't even get off in port.

I love the "mall" because it has so many options for me to wander through and kill an hour (or kill some brain cells with a drink). I love Central Park--and it's Disneyfied bird and insect noises--because it's something I can't get elsewhere. My wife and I enjoyed our CP balcony on Oasis and are booked for another; if I want an ocean-pointing balcony, I can get that on any ship on any cruise line--the ocean's always going to be there. We enjoyed the multitude of food options, from the free donuts to the CP quick-food stop to Johnny Rockets serving free breakfast. (We found the dining room to be just as good as dining on other ships so I'm not sure about your comment implying that the pay restaurants are somehow detracting from the MDR.)

However, AFAIK the cruise line understands some of your points. Isn't the Sunshine class going to be bigger than Voyager but smaller than Freedom? I did enjoy Jewel so IMO the Radiance class is to Voyager as the Sunshine class will probably be to Freedom/Jewel--a slightly smaller but prettier option which still has some bells and whistles but doesn't overwhelm.

Here's my own two cents: I believe RCCL (and other companies) are building the ships bigger to make the ship itself more of a destination. Thus, they want as much stuff to do on board as possible, to keep cruisers interested, and their money flowing into the ship and not into the ports.

This strategy works, indeed, for those looking to make the cruise itself the destination. And I and my wife are two of those people. As I love Disney World, whenever I talk to non-cruisers I compare cruising as being the closest thing to Disney that I can find in terms of the separation from reality. Disney built his Florida park to take you out of the real world, and cruising does something similar for me. Once I'm on board, I'm disconnected from reality; everything I could possibly want is on board with me (food, entertainment, gambling, drinking, swimming, a place to sleep) with the added bonus that my "luxury resort hotel" wakes me up in a different city/island the next day.

IMO this is why the biggies are running the courses they do. They travel to common islands that many have visited before, to keep the focus on the ship. If/when I want to see new places, I don't care which ship I'm on; it can be smaller, if the destination is more important to me than the journey. When I just want to get away from reality and relax for a week, I want a large vessel (Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis class) to give me as many alternatives as possible. I'd bet half the cruisers on those ships don't even get off in port.

I love the "mall" because it has so many options for me to wander through and kill an hour (or kill some brain cells with a drink). I love Central Park--and it's Disneyfied bird and insect noises--because it's something I can't get elsewhere. My wife and I enjoyed our CP balcony on Oasis and are booked for another; if I want an ocean-pointing balcony, I can get that on any ship on any cruise line--the ocean's always going to be there. We enjoyed the multitude of food options, from the free donuts to the CP quick-food stop to Johnny Rockets serving free breakfast. (We found the dining room to be just as good as dining on other ships so I'm not sure about your comment implying that the pay restaurants are somehow detracting from the MDR.)

However, AFAIK the cruise line understands some of your points. Isn't the Sunshine class going to be bigger than Voyager but smaller than Freedom? I did enjoy Jewel so IMO the Radiance class is to Voyager as the Sunshine class will probably be to Freedom/Jewel--a slightly smaller but prettier option which still has some bells and whistles but doesn't overwhelm.

I like your post!!! This is pretty much how I feel. It is a destination within a destination. I can get off at a port, or stay onboard. Either way I am entertained!!!

I loved my Allure cruise. But, I understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea. And I totally understand and respect everyone's opinion, even if they are different than mine:).

A mall? How silly.

That is the beauty of different classes. Some like the Freedom class, some prefer the Radiance class, etc. The Oasis and Allure are so different that many people just want to try it (even after learning about them).

I must say that while I do like the Promenade, I do see how many people feel like its a shopping mall...in one little strip you can: get a pizza, get a beer, get a haircut, or just shop.

The world would be quite boring if everyone had the same interests, and refused to try anything new. ;)

That is the beauty of different classes. Some like the Freedom class, some prefer the Radiance class, etc. The Oasis and Allure are so different that many people just want to try it (even after learning about them).

I must say that while I do like the Promenade, I do see how many people feel like its a shopping mall...in one little strip you can: get a pizza, get a beer, get a haircut, or just shop.

The world would be quite boring if everyone had the same interests, and refused to try anything new. ;)

Thanks for the thoughts, Hazeleyez3. I'm the OP and you and I certainly are on the same page. You describe the mall quite well.

And there are many that disagree with your view also. When people start calling the ships that have a royal promenade "a shopping mall at sea" is just basically ridiculous.....my opinion, of course.

And there are many that disagree with your view also. When people start calling the ships that have a royal promenade "a shopping mall at sea" is just basically ridiculous.....my opinion, of course.

And my opinion also. I see it as an ever changing part of the ship. Whether it be the decorations, lighting, sales, entertainment, etc. With most ships once you have seen them they are the same all week. Ships with Promenades always seem to have something new to take in as the week goes on. And as far as not having windows, I don't see it as a big deal. The Promenade is more of an evening venue. And I don't recall being able to see much of anything out of any window in a public area on a ship when it is dark outside with the exception of up in the Viking Crown area.

I personally agree with you as I see a mall as something that takes more than a minute or two to walk through. I can appreciate the OPs opinion but disagree (isn't that what makes the world go round, all different opinions). I can sit on my balcony or go to one of the top decks to look at the ocean during the day, but at night when there isn't anything to see outside, I can go to the promenade, central park or boardwalk and enjoy. We enjoy sitting in the promenade with a drink and people watching. Most ships have the shops, they are just tucked away in a hallway. Royal has taken them and made a nice area around them to enjoy.

We haven't sailed on Allure yet, coming soon :D, but can say that we have enjoyed the promenade on the Voyager and Freedom class and would miss it if not there. Will have to see if we enjoy Allure as much, expecting we will but hey who knows.

And my opinion also. I see it as an ever changing part of the ship. Whether it be the decorations, lighting, sales, entertainment, etc. With most ships once you have seen them they are the same all week. Ships with Promenades always seem to have something new to take in as the week goes on. And as far as not having windows, I don't see it as a big deal. The Promenade is more of an evening venue. And I don't recall being able to see much of anything out of any window in a public area on a ship when it is dark outside with the exception of up in the Viking Crown area.

This is so funny to me, because at this point I wouldn't dream of sailing on a ship that DIDN'T have a Promenade. I love it there, for the food, the shops, the entertainment, or just to people watch. Then when I want to see the sea, I go back to my balcony.:)

I do enjoy opinions even when not asked for.

This is so funny to me, because at this point I wouldn't dream of sailing on a ship that DIDN'T have a Promenade. I love it there, for the food, the shops, the entertainment, or just to people watch. Then when I want to see the sea, I go back to my balcony.:)

Same here. As great of a cruise as we had on Serenade, and as beautiful as the ship was and with some great features, we really missed having the Promenade in the evening. And I really have no interest in booking a Radiance class ship again.

We have an Allure booked for December and, for us, the ship is the destination. We won't even get off, well maybe in Labadee, but just for a little bit.

Anyhow, we just got off Grandeur and were disappointed with the size. The centrum felt like a waste of space and it was annoying to come out of my room (deck 8) and always hear music. I was trying to get some work done in the internet area and couldn't concentrate.

I missed the Promenade. We like running down for a quite bite at the Cafe Promenade (the Solarium cafe is a joke on the Grandeur) and sitting in the pub for trivia. I also like sitting around and people watching. I don't understand the mall comment either.

I missed the pay restaurants for some variety (and better quality). The food in the MDR gets boring after a few cruises. Same thing every cruise.

I also didn't like the layout of the shops on the smaller ship.

I purchase a balcony to see the ocean from my room. If I remember correctly, all the ships have promenade decks to see the ocean. Oh, and there is also the whole pool deck thing too.

I go on vacation to be entertained and have options....I feel the small ships are restrictive with not enough to do! But then again, I don't like sitting around staring at the ocean :-)

We will only choose small ships when the itinerary is very important to us (e.g., Alaska, some European cruises).

Sir or maam, I never called the Allure "a shopping mall at sea." How about actually reading all the words in my review and not misquoting me? I was referring to the Royal Promenade only. And, of course, a number of folks disagree -- and agree -- with some of my comments. That's why this is called a Forum. As stated, DW and I had a wonderful time. Plenty to do and see. But we're happier on a different category of ship, ones that do not replicate Disney World or Las Vegas. And, we're very happy we can leave behind the thousands and thousands of folks who prefer their ships as resorts; we can cruise on the other ships that are truly ships, spend time in the great ports and enjoy the Solitude of the Seas (hey, Royal, perhaps there's a new ship name for you!)

The OP didn't like the Allure before boarding and didn't like it after leaving....hum:rolleyes:. Nothing surprising there. At least he/she was consistent as far as preference.

The Allure/Oasis are brilliantly designed ships.

I also like the Radiance class...but the Allure and Oasis are amazing.

Yes, they are brilliantly designed ships. But I don't have any burning desire to cruise on either one again any time soon. I liked more about them than I thought I would, but not enough to pay to sail on them.

I know you indicated you went on this cruise with an open mind however you admitted you dislike the Voyager class ships already so I would imagine that would be rather difficult to do on a big ship like the Allure.

As for the Royal Promenade, I personally don't get the "shopping mall" comments and the "inward" feel that some complain about. The area is on one deck, it takes about 1/3 space on that one deck and if you want a view of the ocean at the moment, simply take a step outside to the promenade deck.

I'd rather not risk spilling my drink on the way outside, or have it get diluted in bad weather. . :)

I have sailed every class of ship that Royal has, and the Oasis is my favorite by far. Please, enlighten me about what it so wonderful about the views throughout the Radience class ships, as I said, I have sailed that class, more than once. I just don't get what people get so hung up about looking out and seeing water, water, and more water. It's nice, and we always get a balcony, but not being able to see the WATER from every place we go is not important!

It's not important to you, but it is to me and apparently to many others. There's something about endless views of water that I find calming and beautiful, and I can't get enough of it. I don't want to have to be a hermit in my cabin or limited to one or three locations on a ship to get my fix.

Triggers, remember that the Vision and Raidance class ships are being upgraded as we type. RCI are adding specialty restaurants, wifi in the cabins, and changing the atrium on the Vision class to an entertainment venue. So you may get to have the best of both worlds.:)

It's not important to you, but it is to me and apparently to many others. There's something about endless views of water that I find calming and beautiful, and I can't get enough of it.

That's how we feel. In fact, that's the main reason we cruise!

Archived