Back from Allure--Is Big Better? Not For Us

Sir or maam, I never called the Allure "a shopping mall at sea." How about actually reading all the words in my review and not misquoting me? I was referring to the Royal Promenade only. And, of course, a number of folks disagree -- and agree -- with some of my comments. That's why this is called a Forum. As stated, DW and I had a wonderful time. Plenty to do and see. But we're happier on a different category of ship, ones that do not replicate Disney World or Las Vegas. And, we're very happy we can leave behind the thousands and thousands of folks who prefer their ships as resorts; we can cruise on the other ships that are truly ships, spend time in the great ports and enjoy the Solitude of the Seas (hey, Royal, perhaps there's a new ship name for you!)

That would be Maam:)…if you re-read my post that you are replying too I did say “people” not specifically “you” Although, your first lowlight comment does imply that the Voyager class ships and up are like malls across the country because there are no outside views. It’s nice to hear that you still enjoyed the cruise and now you know for sure these large ships are not for you….oh no wait…..or should I say Disney World or Las Vegas ships are not for you.

I think we can all agree that we can find a class of ship that suits us fine. I have sailed 3 different size ships, all magnificant!!!! Each different in their own way. I have no complaints about any of them.

Next year the hubby and I are taking an Explorer of the Seas cruise. The smallest of RCCL's fleet that we will have sailed on:eek:. We plan on having a wonderful time, even though there is no Flowrider:p. Yes, we enjoy trying to stay upright!!!!

Different strokes for different folks. That's what makes the world go around!!!

Happy cruising everyone, no matter what type of ship you prefer:)

My DW and I, big-time fans of the Radiance class and not enamored with the first of the mega-ships, Voyager of the Seas, just returned from the March 25 cruise aboard the monstrous Allure of the Seas. Based on the above mindset, why would we try Allure? Well, as veteran cruises (our 18th) and Diamond members, who couldn’t be intrigued with this “wow” vessel? So, happy with long-time friends Bob and Julie joining us, we hit the open seas truly with open minds.

Specifics will follow; our top line overview: Never again on a ship this size and this layout. Yes, we experienced a number of high points, but we still significantly prefer our cruise ships be designed to focus on passengers looking out on the ocean, not inward surrounded by kitschy attractions and “neighborhoods.” Also, we don’t seek a ship that seems to be trying to replicate a Disney cruise with characters, parades and the like. And, we want a ship that pays more attention to the meals in the main dining room, rather than practically forcing guests to turn to the for-charge meals in the specialty restaurants for quality dining.

First, I will begin with the good stuff.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Chicago and Blue Planet were, hands down, the best shows we’ve ever seen on a cruise ship. Superb performances all around. Don’t miss these two shows.
  • We loved the Aqua Theater, not so much for the Ocean Aria show (average, in our minds), but for the events at night held in the ocean air, such as the 60’s dance party and the showing of the movie Grease (a sing-a-long version) on the two big screens.
  • The Solarium – spacious, tranquil, comfortable seating, great views, its own free restaurant/buffet and, yes, no kids.
  • Embarkation and debarkation, as noted by many here, simply outstanding.
  • Chops continues to deliver great cuisine.
  • Outstanding service…from our stateroom attendant Roman and gracious bar servers throughout the ship as well as our waiters and the guest relations folks.
  • Cruise director Ken Rush, an RCI institution, does a great job. Super high energy and enthusiasm, even though he would leave the ship at the end of the week for a long-awaited vacation.
  • Smoothest cruise we’ve even had…although the perfect weather certainly played a role here.

LOWLIGHTS (or not to our liking)

• As noted earlier, why go on a cruise if views to the beautiful waters and outside are de-emphasized? It begins with the dreadful Royal Promenade, a fancy name for a very wide-aisle replicate of an upscale shopping mall. Didn’t like it on Voyager, and sure didn’t like it here. I still can’t figure out why so many people consider this a plus when you can experience this at one of a thousand malls across the country. Please, enlighten me.
  • Our favorite RCI lounge, the Schooner Bar, is tucked away in a corner on the Promenade, dark, not appealing, and not very crowded. Its navigation theme going to waste when compared to other ships’ Schooners with numerous outside views. The Champagne Bar suffers similarly. So sad.
  • Another favorite of many on this board and in reviews, Central Park, is assuredly a novelty. Folks express joy at walking through the park, even listening to the piped in noise of birds chirping. Really? Listening to taped recordings of birds chirping while walking one block is a highlight? And, here too, no views of the seas, only the sky. Plus, Chops looks out on the park, but unlike other ships, nary a window looking to the real outside world.
  • Yes, I mentioned the great shows. But, as others strongly recommend, you really should, before you leave home, pick out the performances you wish to attend and reserve your seats. I understand the need for this with so many guests aboard. But the freedom and flexibility you lose are major drawbacks. I much prefer the ability to go with the flow and determine while on board when I want to see the headliner, Broadway music, etc. The Allure (and Oasis) essentially prevent this (or offer the stressful option of waiting in a line to determine how many reserved guests don’t show up before you can enter…with the worst seats available).
  • Oh, my, also as cited above, the very average quality of food in the main dining room. Another disappointing development, certainly driven by the huge numbers of diners that must be served and, certainly, a strategy to send some of us to the $pecialty restaurants. Plus, on this cruise (albeit, during spring break), the dining room was crammed with tables; I’ve never seen tables configured so tightly. I heard a couple of waiters citing the challenges of moving about. I could see why – a trip to the men’s room required some nifty maneuvering around tables and chairs.
  • While on the subject of food – the pizza at Sorrento’s was worse than the cheapest frozen variety. The praise I had heard on this board for Boardwalk Dogs is very hard to understand – mediocre and the hard buns didn’t help.
  • I had pretty much accepted the increase in the “nickel and diming” for things onboard. But what’s with the CHARGE for orange juice (and cranberry juice) in the dining room for breakfast, as well as the Café Promenade. Yet, they serve some kind of orange juice at no charge in the Windjammer. I don’t get it. And, perhaps, the ultimate insult in this area – charging for small box of popcorn on the Boardwalk. Yep, $1. I know…getting picky, here. But I’m talking about the principle here. Even tacky taverns will give away popcorn…so you can DRINK and spend more.
  • Also, as many have mentioned, the Windjammer is too small, very crowded and with much less food selection than other Royal ships. It’s simply not pleasant eating up there.
  • Although not specific to the ship, a couple of comments about the ports. Falmouth in Jamaica is a travesty…yes, likely more development is planned, but more cheap shops is not going to improve things. Guess Falmouth provides good access to other attractions like Dunn River Falls, but, in general, the country, for us, is not very appealing. In addition, we long for the days of the simpler Labadee, not the touristy feeling it has become.

I will stop here, and can answer comments and questions if folks respond. I know I’m in the minority here based on the member reviews and those on this board. Don’t get me wrong; we had a wonderful time. One can’t beat cruising. But we know the kind of ship that makes this the optimum experience – and Allure simply is not for us.

They have been charging for orange juice onour last two cruises on the FOS,,sorry you didn't like the Allure,,we are going on the Oasis in Jan. with the family and looking forward t it...

This is so funny to me, because at this point I wouldn't dream of sailing on a ship that DIDN'T have a Promenade. I love it there, for the food, the shops, the entertainment, or just to people watch. Then when I want to see the sea, I go back to my balcony.:)

Thoughts like these sure reveal the very different mindsets of so many of us. I do not want to make a separate trip and go far to return to my room and balcony to see the sea. I want to have access in as many as places as possible. That's why these mega, mega ships don't work for me. I even have a mixed opinion about the Allure's dedicated running/walking track on Deck 5. It's great you don't have to dodge chairs and sunbathers, but even this is rather enclosed with limited views of the ocean. Even with some obstacles, I prefer the track high up with the breeze and oceans all around me as I do my power walk.

Thoughts like these sure reveal the very different mindsets of so many of us. I do not want to make a separate trip and go far to return to my room and balcony to see the sea. I want to have access in as many as places as possible. That's why these mega, mega ships don't work for me. I even have a mixed opinion about the Allure's dedicated running/walking track on Deck 5. It's great you don't have to dodge chairs and sunbathers, but even this is rather enclosed with limited views of the ocean. Even with some obstacles, I prefer the track high up with the breeze and oceans all around me as I do my power walk.

When I first went on Oasis I was not happy with the running track being on deck 5 as I always enjoyed the running tracks up on the pool deck with the ocean view. However, for serious runners the Oasis track is much more functional. The sun decks are pretty useless for running once the sun worshipers show up for the day.

When I first went on Oasis I was not happy with the running track being on deck 5 as I always enjoyed the running tracks up on the pool deck with the ocean view. However, for serious runners the Oasis track is much more functional. The sun decks are pretty useless for running once the sun worshipers show up for the day.

That's quite accurate, Ocean Boy. The track for a pool deck walk/jog/power walk needs to be done early in the morning. But's that's the best time anyway in terms the sun just rising, lack of heat, lack of crowds. Tough to do for the very late-at-night crowd, though :)

Thank you for your thoughtful review. I agree with many of your points, although I've only been on Allure for 2 nights. We will likely sail on her again because DH really wants to and he occasionally gets his way.:). But she's not on my bucket list.

Maybe we should send your DH and my DW on one of the mega ships together, as I also have no desire to be back aboard!:D

Rick

Maybe we should send your DH and my DW on one of the mega ships together, as I also have no desire to be back aboard!:D

Rick

Too funny. I personally have no intrest in the Mega ships but Hubby would like to go on one. I think I'd go with him, LOL but I fear I won't love it so much. I too feel that I like to go on a cruise to gaze on the ocean, so the whole mall experience wouldn't be my first choice. Just pretty sure we would have a balcony to retreat when we want to.

With the number of people saying that the Oasis or Allure are not for them and that they will not go on them, or will not go on them again, this is good news for those of us who would like to see the prices drop for these ships. I have been on the Allure and would like to go back on it or go on the Oasis, but at a lower price than offered today.

Viva la difference RCL offers enough different type of ships that most people can enjoy, we have done most classes and like each for different reasons from Radiance with the outstanding views of the ocean from almost anywhere to Oasis which is the most unique ship we ever have been on.

I remember the first time I was on Radiance and the views of the ocean just took my breath away and the ship is just down right beautiful.. Oasis all I can say is wow have to say for us there is nothing like Central Park in the evening. One of the most memorable evening I ever had was dining outside at Vintages enjoying Tapas and drinking wine listening to a spanish guitarist we were swept away it was a truly magical evening..

With RCL spending money on updated their ships means that there will still many choices for some time to come sp pick the class you like and enjoy..To the OP thanks for your review I appreciated your honesty

Same here. As great of a cruise as we had on Serenade, and as beautiful as the ship was and with some great features, we really missed having the Promenade in the evening. And I really have no interest in booking a Radiance class ship again.

And I value your opinion.......but we will stay with the Radiance Class, as long as they keep them up to date. To us, there is nothing better, and we are booked on the Jewel, TA, and the Brilliance for a B2B2B this year.

That does not mean that whatever ship you like is better than what I like.......it's just that you like the features of a different class, and that is why, so far, Royal Caribbean has different classes of ships.

But in all reality.........our radar is showing us different lines, from sister lines to lines not owned by RCCL.

I will never put down Royal Caribbean......until it becomes a garbage line, and I don't think that it's in their future. As long as Richard Fain has control............it is cool.

Rick

And I value your opinion.......but we will stay with the Radiance Class, as long as they keep them up to date. To us, there is nothing better, and we are booked on the Jewel, TA, and the Brilliance for a B2B2B this year.

That does not mean that whatever ship you like is better than what I like.......it's just that you like the features of a different class, and that is why, so far, Royal Caribbean has different classes of ships.

But in all reality.........our radar is showing us different lines, from sister lines to lines not owned by RCCL.

I will never put down Royal Caribbean......until it becomes a garbage line, and I don't think that it's in their future. As long as Richard Fain has control............it is cool.

Rick

Rick, you should really, really try one of the new Celebrity S class ships, the spiritual successor to the Radiance class ships. I'm afraid that after going on the Solstice and Silhouette the last two years, the Brilliance will feel .......dated and slightly musty. Jane, Maxs' Mom, on these boards, had that feeling after going on the Celebrity Eclipse followed by...I think the Jewel.

We'll see this fall, haven't been on a Radiance type since the Brilliance in 2007. 19 days from Quebec City to San Juan is a good test.

For the OP, I agree with most of your original post. Sorry didn't read through all the pages on this thread this morning to see all the other comments.

My hubby & I sailed on the Allure in November. We loved the Explorer and wanted to see the WOW ship. I thought the ship was beautiful, just not for us. Part of it had to do with layout, but mostly it was because they had several groups booked and 9 weddings that week. They kept shutting down public areas for private functions. I had a boardwalk balcony (wouldn't do it again) and I got to watch all the private functions from my cabin while being restricted access to the area.

I'm not a fan of Ken Rush, but Adrian who was bartendingin Bolaros on our cruise was amazing. I didn't mind booking my shows & dinner reservations, problem was RCCL changed them 5 times before we even sailed and then double booked us at some places & we lost reservations at others. Luckily I was able to fix it when I got on board.

I'm trying the Freedom this November. I think we will like the size of the ship, without breaking it up into "neighborhoods" the layout should be better. Plus I heard there is more of the traditional activities on this ship, we weren't impressed with the daytime activities on the Allure.

Our favorite resteraunt was the Samba Grill

Part of it had to do with layout, but mostly it was because they had several groups booked and 9 weddings that week. They kept shutting down public areas for private functions. I had a boardwalk balcony (wouldn't do it again) and I got to watch all the private functions from my cabin while being restricted access to the area.

I really dislike that practice. They should have an area on the ship for functions. Paying guests should not loose access to a public space so that another grouop of guests can have a private affair. Of course, that is in my opinion.

Rick, you should really, really try one of the new Celebrity S class ships, the spiritual successor to the Radiance class ships. I'm afraid that after going on the Solstice and Silhouette the last two years, the Brilliance will feel .......dated and slightly musty. Jane, Maxs' Mom, on these boards, had that feeling after going on the Celebrity Eclipse followed by...I think the Jewel.

We'll see this fall, haven't been on a Radiance type since the Brilliance in 2007. 19 days from Quebec City to San Juan is a good test.

Excellent point about the Solstice class, a great alterative to a Radiance ship. We were on Solstice a couple of years ago (loved it!) and while on Allure last month, booked Eclipse for a May 2013 cruise in the Baltic. We opted for that rather than the Independence, again due to our feelings about the promenade, super-huge ships, etc. Looking forward to your update after you take the Brilliance in later this month.

The OP didn't like the Allure before boarding and didn't like it after leaving....hum:rolleyes:. Nothing surprising there. At least he/she was consistent as far as preference.

The Allure/Oasis are brilliantly designed ships.

I also like the Radiance class...but the Allure and Oasis are amazing.

Your comment is based in fact, is it?

Who said the Allure is brilliantly designed ship? Is there an expert that said it? Please tell me.

:rolleyes:

The OP is entitled to their opinion, and although we would sail again on the Allure, I believe it to be over-designed. Too little sea facing facilities, too many crowded areas, and the 'free' dining options were over-subscribed, poor in quality and frankly inferior to any of our other cruise experiences.

Your comment is based in fact, is it?

Who said the Allure is brilliantly designed ship? Is there an expert that said it? Please tell me.

:rolleyes:

The OP is entitled to their opinion, and although we would sail again on the Allure, I believe it to be over-designed. Too little sea facing facilities, too many crowded areas, and the 'free' dining options were over-subscribed, poor in quality and frankly inferior to any of our other cruise experiences.

To clarify, I am the OP and as I wrote initially, pretty much agree with your thoughts here, although perhaps not quite as harsh. :)

Thank you so much for this review and your personal take on this ship vs others you've been on.

We are looking at the Brilliance out of San Juan March 2013 and your review reaffirms our choice of ship. We've only sailed smaller ships (NCL and Carnival) never RCL so ship selection is always a challenge. The 'mega' ships keep calling me but the price and the ports do not currently entice us but maybe one day. We really like public areas (bars and restaurants) to be looking out over the water. It's not just about seeing the water, it's the feeling of actually being at sea and being taken away; seeing islands in the distance; the sun glistening off the water; the moon reflecting at night; it has a calming affect that we appreciate at times throughout the day while on vacation. And yes we get a balcony but we don't stay in it all day.

To each their own, this is why there are choices. Hearing the opinions of others is what these forums are all about so thank you! In the end I expect I would find good in any cruise regardless of ships size :D

Too funny. I personally have no intrest in the Mega ships but Hubby would like to go on one. I think I'd go with him, LOL but I fear I won't love it so much. I too feel that I like to go on a cruise to gaze on the ocean, so the whole mall experience wouldn't be my first choice. Just pretty sure we would have a balcony to retreat when we want to.
Really? I don't believe there is a Macy's or Nordstrom on board.:rolleyes:

Archived