epic; allure; oasis; when is carnival going to have a destination ship?

H82seaUgo

One must also remember they are fitted with azipods and when an azipod goes down or needs replacing

your looking at at least two months of down time.

Look at what happened when the Splendor fire happened

-it took something like 10 weeks to get a new engine manufactured, installed, and tested.

If an azipod went on one of those monster ships and it couldn't operate a regular schedule on one azipod

there would be a huge financial loss for RCI.... ===> IF or When?

Ergo--sometimes the smaller 100 000-150 000 GRT ships are better... ===> Definitely! -and quite big enough!

Technology comes and technology goes.

Remember the Royal Caribbean GTV ships? Gas Turbine Vessels?

I think I'm correct in saying that RCI only ever built the four Radiance Class vessels, powered in that manner.

Why no more?

Proved impractical, didn't it -or they would have made many many more

including the Monsters of the Seas. But they didn't.

Azipods. Newer ships aren't being built with fancy azipods, as cool as they first seemed.

Back to boring old (proven technology)...props and shafts. What a shame.

It's only a matter of time before one of the BIG Twins suffers downtime re. azipod malfunction or failure

and have to go on un-scheduled dry dock (that's gotta be expensive in more than one way!) :eek:

And so we wait and see 'what gives'.

Technology comes and technology goes.

Remember the Royal Caribbean GTV ships? Gas Turbine Vessels?

I think I'm correct in saying that RCI only ever built the four Radiance Class vessels, powered in that manner.

Why no more?

Proved impractical, didn't it -or they would have made many many more

including the Monsters of the Seas. But they didn't.

Azipods. Newer ships aren't being built with fancy azipods, as cool as they first seemed.

Back to boring old (proven technology)...props and shafts. What a shame.

It's only a matter of time before one of the BIG Twins suffers downtime re. azipod malfunction or failure

and have to go on un-scheduled dry dock (that's gotta be expensive in more than one way!) :eek:

And so we wait and see 'what gives'.

I could be wrong but I think most new ships are still using the azipods...just not ships built by Carnival due to the fact the Diesel-Electric propulsion is cheaper to install.

I could be wrong but I think most new ships are still using the azipods...just not ships built by Carnival due to the fact the Diesel-Electric propulsion is cheaper to install.

Doesnt CCL have a law suit going against the Azipod Mfg

Doesnt CCL have a law suit going against the Azipod Mfg

Could be...but I remember back when the CD's did their Q&A sessions we had John Heald on the Freedom and someone asked why CCL didn't use the Azipods and he stated that CCL thought the reliability of the Diesel-Electric was more durable and they were cheaper to manufacture.

Correct me if Im wrong but had CCL use the Azipod's the Splendor would have had limited propulsion correct? Remember hearing that had it had Azipods it wouldn't have been completely dead in the water...not sure if thats entirely accurate though.

You have a point there. But don't discount the cultural and geographical differences. I don't know the criteria but I am half Italian and I do know that all cultures have their 'questionable olives'. The captain in question has his own history to fall back on. Just the fact that he refused to return to the ship on orders from the Harbor Master makes me think his history has a few 'swords' in it.

That could very well be. I just think it's unfair to suggest that Carnival is irresponsible in assigning captains to their ships and that a rogue like Schettino could have NEVER been hired by Royal Caribbean.

Main reason we sail with carnival is cost! Another reason, we aren't much for change, we are familiar with Carnival and know what to expect.

I'd say that sums up how many CCL cruisers are/feel (going by the boards here)

@ Aplc and Hendricks:As to GTS ships They require a more expensive grade of fuel. The Diesel electric ships with or without Azipods burn IFO 380 ( Intermediate fuel 380 Viscosity) a heavy black refined product must be heated to 110 degrees to pump from one tank to another then heated to appx. 250 degrees before injected into a diesel engine or a boiler. GTS ships burn Marine Gas Oil (similar to Kerosene- NOT exact but similar) which is a lot more expensive.

As to Azipods, 1 they are fragile if you bump them it is a shipyard drydock to repair. as to Splendor when it had the fire it losr all power Wether it had azipods or not didn't matter since in both cases ship propellors are driven by an eletcric motor. main diffrence is where the motor is located(Either in the pod or the engine room)

To get back on track of the original post....I must admit that I booked the E. Caribbean itinerary on the RCI Allure of the Seas mostly for the ship. I could have gone on another ship to that same area for much less, but I wanted to experience this ship. It was gorgeous and really easy to get around on. I found it much easier than the Fantasy Class ships for some reason. I loved this ship and all that was on her.

If Carnival would get a destination ship, I would certainly give it a try too.

To get back on track of the original post....I must admit that I booked the E. Caribbean itinerary on the RCI Allure of the Seas mostly for the ship. I could have gone on another ship to that same area for much less, but I wanted to experience this ship. It was gorgeous and really easy to get around on. I found it much easier than the Fantasy Class ships for some reason. I loved this ship and all that was on her.

If Carnival would get a destination ship, I would certainly give it a try too.

THAT is exactly how we felt about our Epic sailing!

I would imagine that there would be long lines for the surf rider, rock climbing, and zip lines. Btw the Surf riders are harder than they look. Also zip lining is becoming more and more popular that you can do them pretty much everywhere now.

I have never been on the Oasis Class, but from what my friend told me those activities do have very long lines. It is also a one try only thing. So if you try it and fall it is the next person in lines turn. Meaning the people who are good may wait in line for 30 mins, and get a nice long turn. Where as you may wait in the same line and get less then a minute.

Ever since I started paying for my own cruises I never felt that RCCL's ships or service were worth the extra money.

I think they maybe having trouble filling them up. On upcoming cruises they have the interior balconies priced at $649 , and oceanviews at $699 far cheaper then previous.

I think they maybe having trouble filling them up. On upcoming cruises they have the interior balconies priced at $649 , and oceanviews at $699 far cheaper then previous.

Oasis or Allure? Which sailing is that? If it's $699, I am jumping on it! :D

I loved the Magic, and FYI the Magic and Breeze willbe the only two ships that has a ropes course at sea. That was a very popular place the ropes course.

I certainly hope Carnival doesn't build any ships larger than the Dream class. The exterior promenade is wonderful, but I miss my balcony overlooking the sea; however, people watching from your balcony was neat......

What I do not want to do on a cruise ship:

Ice skate

Rock climbing walls

All but one or two dining venues be extra fees

Have a mall like feel to Promenade deck

Carnival is doing something right seeing as their ships always sail full. I've yet to be on a ship that hasn't sailed full or at max capacity.

NCL Epic--sorry, I've seen pics and "might Ships" show of the ship. I won't be sailing on that ship...

RCI-Monsters of the Sea (aka Oasis and Allure) too damn big and the ship looks strange and not right......

I want to do a Panama Canal, so I'd go on Pricess for that cruise! Alaska would be Carnival.....

These kind of posts always make me laugh. It comes off to me as trying to justify your choice because you haven't sailed a certain line or can't afford to. Its that ridiculous blind loyalty.

Have no interest in those size ships so I hope CCL never goes there. I'm on a cruise, I don't want to feel like I am at the mall. And who cares about ice skating when in the Caribbean?

One thing I do find funny is that loyal carnival cruisers say the other lines have "gimmicks" to get people on board. But carnival does the same thing. They have added the Guy whatever his name is Burger places, the waterworks and slides and now the are adding the rope course thing. Hate to tell you those things are "gimmicks" too.

I simply don't understand those that need to bash other lines for things they have never experienced.

One thing I do find funny is that loyal carnival cruisers say the other lines have "gimmicks" to get people on board. But carnival does the same thing. They have added the Guy whatever his name is Burger places, the waterworks and slides and now the are adding the rope course thing. Hate to tell you those things are "gimmicks" too.

I simply don't understand those that need to bash other lines for things they have never experienced.

...they are attractions. Attractions, most of which, I already have available. With the exception of a FlowRider, I know I can't surf, tried it a couple of times, so it really doesn't have any attraction for me. On the 12 day Magic cruise we took, there wasn't enough time to try everything. We never made the BBQ on the Lanai, didn't get to do the rope course and a lot of other things that we would have liked to do. We had booked the first TA for the Equinox but had to cancel since there was no time off, other than quitting my job, left that year. As for entertainment on other ships, Cirque is coming to both Baltimore and Washington DC this year. I can get 2 Inner Circle tickets for less than the additional cost to book Epic, or Allure or Oasis. As Linda mentioned, ships can be destinations as well as transportation. We loved the Fantasy for the home port as well as the great crew we had each time we sailed her. It certainly wasn't the ports of call even though a day in Coz is always a fun day. I'm sure Charleston is a bit more sedate than the Big Easy but it does have that Southern Charm. We thoroughly enjoyed the Pride the first time around and look forward to Halloween 2012. The one thing we did get to try on the Magic was the Spa Pass because we didn't have to give up our Cove balcony. :D I wish they all had both of those. Your cruise choice is based on what you want to do. Our choices have always been that and everyone has been great. There are cruises out there for just about anything you want to do. It's really very simple...really. :) Oops, I forgot to mentioned we loved the Disney cruise in spite of the airlines snafu that allowed us to replace all of the lost luggage. Probably wouldn't do it again though.

Oasis or Allure? Which sailing is that? If it's $699, I am jumping on it! :D

Oasis it leaves next week April 14th. 699 for an oceanview balcony D2 or 649 for the balconies overlooking central park. However it is an interline rate, they usually reduce the price to sell the ship out knowing that we can make it down there cheaper, and last minute. It was tough to find this cruise for less then 1000.00 interline or not before. Over the last few months they have been offering this price frequently on both the Allure and Oasis.

There is one fact that everyone will agree on--we choose a ship/cruise line based on what we want to do, where we want to go, and how much it will cost.

I'd love to go on a longer Princess cruise that hits more Caribbean islands, but when you sail solo you have to remember the price. We each choose what ship we go on because that is what WE want to do for OUR vacation....we can express our opinions, but no one is going to make YOUR vacation less enjoyable because of what other comments there are posted.

Carnival still gets my money because it is what I can afford and most of all, I have a wonderful time!!!!!!

These kind of posts always make me laugh. It comes off to me as trying to justify your choice because you haven't sailed a certain line or can't afford to. Its that ridiculous blind loyalty.

I thought the poster listed all the things they don't want to do on a cruise and those are the things that cause the mega ships to cost more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Who's bashing? Those mega ships offer nothing I am interested in at a greater price. I'm a smart consumer. I usually don't purchase things I don't want. Why would I pay more for a hamburger just to have cheese on it if I don't like cheese.

Well having sailed The Allure of the Seas last year and LOVED IT, I was looking forward to all the bells and whistles. I would not hesitate in sailing her again as a matter of fact my son asked if we could when he graduates. :cool: The size alone can freak some out but don't knock it till you try it.......;)

What people who've never cruised on the Oasis twins don't get is that, even without the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, flow rider, zip line, and the other "gimmicks", these ships blow any Carnival cruise out the water! They are absolutely wonderful and unless you've actually sailed on them, its hard to understand why they are worth every extra penny, even if you never use any of the "gimmicks".

The majority of the negative comments that I read come from people who've NEVER cruised on them. Most of these are as unfounded and laughable as the negative comments that people who've never cruised on Carnival make.

The one comment that always make me laugh is when people say that they'll never cruise on a ship THAT crowded, yet they are perfectly happy packed like sardines on a Carnival ship (and YES, even the Fantasy class ships are MUCH more crowed than the Allure/Oasis).

What people who've never cruised on the Oasis twins don't get is that, even without the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, flow rider, zip line, and the other "gimmicks", these ships blow any Carnival cruise out the water! They are absolutely wonderful and unless you've actually sailed on them, its hard to understand why they are worth every extra penny, even if you never use any of the "gimmicks".

The majority of the negative comments that I read come from people who've NEVER cruised on them. Most of these are as unfounded and laughable as the negative comments that people who've never cruised on Carnival make.

The one comment that always make me laugh is when people say that they'll never cruise on a ship THAT crowded, yet they are perfectly happy packed like sardines on a Carnival ship (and YES, even the Fantasy class ships are MUCH more crowed than the Allure/Oasis).

What I hate is when people think they know what others want or will like.

What I hate is when people think they know what others want or will like.

Looking at your crusing history, I see why my comment resonated with you...:cool:

I think that Carnival should build one of those mega, mega ships. I know that my two teenagers would love to cruise on one! But since Allure/Oasis are so expensive, we'll continue to sail on Carnival.

And if Carnvial built a mega mega ship do you think they would still have the lower prices for it that they charge for smaller ships?:confused: I would venture to guess th eprices would be much more comparable to the mega mega ships. Unfortunatley for your kids, Carnival doesn't appear to have any plans on builting anything larger than the Breeze. So find a date/cruise/price on one of the mega-mega ships while your teens will still be excited by all the extras. And by all means go have a great time!!:)

Archived