Roll Calls/M & Greets Do You Take Part

we enjoy the m&g as you can meet some nice people but we had one in november on the Dawn Princess and it was a fizzer, only about 6 people turned up but facebook had their own m&g and they had over 60 turn up

I have attended most of the M&G however on our Alaska cruise with NCL we totally forgot about as we were still in shock with the trip/ship. Maybe this time, I hope.;)

Most of the M&G I have done have been on RCI cruises. Whilst they are good I am a bit over the little note pad gift as a gal really does not need more than 3 of these. :p But the snacks and drinks are a nice touch. It is a good way to put a face to a name from Roll Calls but if I was feeling threatened or left our of Roll Call I probably would not attend.

My M & G's have mostly been on Princess and I have to say its a bit hit and miss as to what is provided...I have seen some excellent P R work on the Diamond where our very large roll call were treated to priority tenders for our private tours (yeah I was impressed) and on the Dawn where we got a free, yes free, tour of the galley and the bridge. So it pays to join in, ultimately it takes everybody's input to make it work well. Gift exchanges can be fun..on the Diamond we got people to bring something small (less than $10) from where you were from, our overseas visitors were very happy to receive thoughtful gifts from various places in Australia and the rest of us were just happy to get presents. We were given one of the dining rooms for us to have a private lunch and our gift exchange (again on the Diamond).

So if you are hanging back, we know you lurkers are out there, join in, nothing to lose and lots to gain. Girl from OZ is currently on the Dawn Princess...when she gets back I will ask her to post some photos from our Diamond M & G.

Sue

Sue

I was disappointed with our M&M on Radiance. Certain (Elite) members had another venue to go to and unfortunately they were catered for by drawing the door prizes early and we had only been at the M&M for approx 15 minutes. After that those certain members (Approx 50)left which meant there were only about a dozen people still there so we all felt it was time to disappear so the staff could pack up. What a fizzer!

The rest of the cruise I could was faultless though, I am extremely happy to say.

I was disappointed with our M&M on Radiance. Certain (Elite) members had another venue to go to and unfortunately they were catered for by drawing the door prizes early and we had only been at the M&M for approx 15 minutes. After that those certain members (Approx 50)left which meant there were only about a dozen people still there so we all felt it was time to disappear so the staff could pack up. What a fizzer!

The rest of the cruise I could was faultless though, I am extremely happy to say.

That was disappointing..perhaps the ship should have given you warning there was another function at almost the same time...you have to laugh at those non cruisers that ask "don't you get bored" sometimes its hard to fit it all in! I just remembered that the Volendam did a nice M & G for us...even provided drinks! The worst M & G I have ever been to has beaten the Captains cocktail party hands down! Dont bother with those anymore..apart from the watery drinks and meagre canapes its depressing hearing how often some people get to cruise...yeah jealous:(

We were on the previous cruise and a similar thing happened to us. Our M&M was at the Starquest Lounge and we also had a gift exchange planned. An Art Auction was scheduled just after our M&M. Half way through they began setting up the Art Auction displays and basically forced us out. Also, we had the Cruise Director ramble on for ever about the cruise itinarary which we all knew. This combined with the art auction set up reduced our valuable time to about 1/2 an hour of mingling.

The gift echange went very well and was lots of fun. We also had a pre-sailaway party on day 1 as M&M was not until day 4.

On Sun P, I went to the Purser's Desk as soon as I boarded to ask for a suitable place to meet. They got me to leave a message for the CD. That afternoon he phoned me and said where we could have a meeting and that he would advertise it on the Wake Show as well as in the Princess Patter. Later, when I thanked him for his help, he offered to organise another one. We had heaps of people turn up and they told us it was the best M&G they had had. Previously I let the few people on this roll call know what we were planning to do so they could be involved if they wished.

I enjoy the roll calls beforehand, lots of information to gather when planning and I find other cruisers a good info source.

I have attended meet and greets on our cruises we have been on since joining CC. I enjoy putting the names to faces and having a chat.

If it wasn't for the very active roll call on my first "midlife crisis" cruise in November 2009 from Bangkok to Sydney on Diamond Princess (which I stumbled upon when I was researching a land-based holiday)....I doubt I would have ever booked the cruise, let alone found a fantastic way to see the world and make the most awesome friends.

On every cruise I've been on, I have met the most amazing people from roll calls, even if there was only one or two people on that roll call, and I consider the vast majority friends today, who I'm still in regular contact.

Meeting up at sailaway, before any "official" M&G is far better though as your all together from the get go.

My first M&G was in 2009 on Eurodam and we only had about 30 people but it was great and we exchanged small gifts from where we were from. I have enjoyed the others I have been on also but sometimes the cruise director takes over a bit and rambles on about all the ships tours, having said that they do give out some good info and recommendations on other aspects of the cruise. Like Kerry(fayfam) I am involved with one on the Solstice next April and it is incredibly active at this point...one member is even setting up a site where you can purchase t-shirts and mugs etc for our cruise, to me that is a bit over the top but I like their enthusiasm and they are getting good feed back from some of the other roll call members.

On the Summit cruise we are taking this September I have teamed up with some members to do private tours, now I think that this aspect is a definate bonus to belong to the roll calls.

Louise.

Rollcalls are a great icebreaker and by the time you get to Meet and Greet it can be like old friends catching up....... The first onboard gathering we actually attended was Rhapsody of the Seas first cruise to Australia in 2007 we had a fairly good turn out.....met some lovely people some of which we still holiday with... Biggest and best so far though would have to be, as mentioned already, the Diamond Princess Bangkok - Sydney cruise back in 2009 ..you couldn't wish for a better group of people to meet and share good times with....our party started before we even got onboard:D:D...not sure any other one could come close to it.....hmmmmm maybe a reunion cruise meet and greet...cough cough cough......we are also on the Solstice Syd - Hnl rollcall which is enormous... unfortunately i think a lot is lost when they get too big.........

FB is sure taking off with rollcalls too ....the likes of P. O Australia and Princess have quite active events pages which could probably explain why the CC one's for our ships are dying a death...oh well i'll hang out in both .:p

Sue found a photo of some of our group on the Diamond.......

2474988350102418569S500x500Q85.jpg

What a handsome bunch we were...still are LOL. That was a fantastic cruise one of the best ever...mainly because of the friendships we made onboard.

I hope we can all get in the same place again to have a reunion cruise, all you lurkers are invited....nothing elitist about our lot everyone is very welcome. Has someone got a photo of the masked sailaway party?

I love the Diamond Princess but 3 times with the same itinerary..maybe not.

How about thinking of one of the New Guinea cruises next year? Close to home...new ports..., warm weather...could be a good one..we will have to wait until next Monday when the itineraries are released to see whats on offer.

I didn't realise Deb that was your first cruise...boy your kids must be mad at us!

Sue

Sue

I didn't realise Deb that was your first cruise...boy your kids must be mad at us!

Sue

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

We are a tad Asia'd out....:D:D so PNG sounds like a great idea Sue we are free September onwards according to my cruise planner....:D:D will have a look see for masquerade photos.....cheers Shiona

PS: YAY David has some ................. we laughed so hard our sides ached.......best time... great memories....

I am cruising in Europe and the Med in Sept/Oct and also all of March....don't leave me out hopefully we can find something that suits...once the bank account has recovered.

The photos were wonderful...such fun thanks for posting.

Sue

I found some interesting points as I have read the previous posts, being new to cruising with only 2 cruises up my sleeve, I found this web site and several others, but have found Cruise Critic to be the most social.

On our first cruise I didn't really join in the conversation on the Roll Call said hello and waited. I did exactly the same at our first M&M, found it to be a bit of a disappointment.

On the second cruise we joined in the conversations on the Roll Call and at the M&M we found someone of the Roll Call we corresponded with and introduce ourselves and was soon introduced to many others from the Roll Call and had a great time.

My point, don't sit back and wait it will never happen, join in. I found that you have to make the break, you don't need to bust in, just join in.

Hope to see you at our next M&M.

Stan

I/we attend only if there is not some one from the elite group here going to it. true fact

Theid, We are new here, and going on our first cruise and looking to make a lot of friends before we sail.

Firstly,can you please explain to me what "Elite" means here on the forums ?.

Second, if by your definition of "elite" we are on the same cruise ...you will not join the M@Mingle and get to know Jane and I because in your opinion we are not in the same class as you...is that what you are saying :confused:.

Theid, Jane and I are fantastic people to get to know, even if it is our first cruise (sounds of trumpet fanfare in the background :D:D)....it seems a pity you would cut people off before getting to know them

Kindest regards

Cpt Des

ps........please see our sig comment (highlighted in blue)

Theid, We are new here, and going on our first cruise and looking to make a lot of friends before we sail.

Second, if by your definition of "elite" we are on the same cruise ...you will not join the M@Mingle and get to know Jane and I because in your opinion we are not in the same class as you...is that what you are saying :confused:.

Theid, Jane and I are fantastic people to get to know, even if it is our first cruise (sounds of trumpet fanfare in the background :D:D)....it seems a pity you would cut people off before getting to know them

Kindest regards

Cpt Des

which cruise are you on?

Cpt Des, that's a nice saying in your signature, might I borrow it for use with my homeroom students at school?

One of my favourites is part of a line from the poem "Desiderata"

Avoid loud and agressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

The second part of the line concludes "If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself"

Cheers,

Cpt. Des. You couldn't have put this any better!

Some people think it's nice to be important.......

Jane and I think it's more important to be nice

I think most of us on this forum would agree with these sentiments. I certainly do. :) If you are like most of us you will become 'addicted' to cruising - I really hope you have a wonderful time. Have you joined a roll call - or is there one for your cruise?

Kindest regards

Cpt Des

Hi Des yes I did say quote(I/we attend only if there is not some one from the elite group here going to it. true fact end quote)

it was posted in the meaning. as the are certain people I/We Have met on cruises that we do not wish to met ever again. in saying that we are not snobs nor is any one else, but we are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites, but some people take afence to that fact, and i do fell sorry for them. even so we may be in a suite we still are on the same ship seeing the same shows and eating the same food, but some how we are better then the rest, because we are in a suite so some people believe, but un true. its only a better cabin with a few perks.

in saying that we have met some great people on cruise/mags and are still great freands with and cruise.with.

I found some interesting points as I have read the previous posts, being new to cruising with only 2 cruises up my sleeve, I found this web site and several others, but have found Cruise Critic to be the most social.

On our first cruise I didn't really join in the conversation on the Roll Call said hello and waited. I did exactly the same at our first M&M, found it to be a bit of a disappointment.

On the second cruise we joined in the conversations on the Roll Call and at the M&M we found someone of the Roll Call we corresponded with and introduce ourselves and was soon introduced to many others from the Roll Call and had a great time.

My point, don't sit back and wait it will never happen, join in. I found that you have to make the break, you don't need to bust in, just join in.

Hope to see you at our next M&M.

Stan

Stan

You have hit the nail squarely on the head !!:) Many are quite backward in coming forward. Sit and wait for something to happen. There is only way to guarantee that something will happen - and that is to make it happen yourself!! :)

Barry

Thied

we are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites, but some people take afence to that fact,

I don't believe that others here take offence to the fact that you are well off and can aford to cruise in suites and mini suites

Perhaps it may be because you keep on telling them this??? We also could cruise in suites/minisuites - but we choose not to. I am happy to hear where people are accomodated onboard - when I ask them. But I am not happy for people to tell me that they are in a suite - when I haven't asked them. :) There is a slight distinction there between those two situations.

Barry

I have organised 3/4 meet and greets and they have been a great way to meet people who may want to join you in other activities and we found that out before on the roll call.

One other great boost is that the Captain and other chief officers have visited and spent time with us at our meeting and during the cruise when we meet them they know us by name and stop for a chat if they have time.

I have never come across any one who did not want to speak with the 'elite' people whoever they were and our private tours - arranged prior to the meet and greet - were finalised and paid for at this function.

The gift exchanges and raffles have broken the ice helpfully and these contacts have now become friends for life.

My next cruise includes some 10 couples who have said - if you organise a tour put us on it and then tell us about it which is a great way to have a good group and save a lot of money on tours.

Meet and Greet are great but they are what you yourself make of them

Those who have not been give it a try!!!

I and DH can now play Mah Jong due to the helpfulness of one of our M&G couples

Cpt Des, that's a nice saying in your signature, might I borrow it for use with my homeroom students at school?

CeeJay, be my guest, it's not copyright :).

SANDY, " Have you joined a roll call - or is there one for your cruise?"...

Yes there is one for the Voyager Nov 5th Freo - Sydney, and we have signed up for the M&M.

Can't wait and counting the days ;)

Archived