Strange Towel Situation

On my recent cruise on the Brilliance I signed for a pool towel and used it for the day. At about 4.30 I took it back to the towel station and had my card scanned. The attendant then went on to say I hadn't signed a towel out and nothing was showing on my card. I asked if it was okay to just leave it in the towel container but he said no and got quite angry when I went to throw it in. In the end I gave up and took the towel home with me. I feel slightly bad now because I suppose it's theft. Anyway, because it happened when sailing out of Dubai could they prosecute me and chop my hand off if I return?

The last part was a slight joke I will admit... after the way I was treated didn't I deserve a free pool towel as compensation?

Simply, it wasn't yours to take. If we all stole things because we were treated badly or thought we deserved compensation, this world would be a sorry place.

Simply, it wasn't yours to take. If we all stole things because we were treated badly or thought we deserved compensation, this world would be a sorry place.

Why was the guy so dead set against me handing it in though? I wouldn't like to leave it in the room as it would be an added job for my cabin steward. It's better joining my RCI collection

Why was the guy so dead set against me handing it in though? I wouldn't like to leave it in the room as it would be an added job for my cabin steward. It's better joining my RCI collection

What if he was concerned that you had checked it out on a different seapass card and would later find it hadn't had a towel returned along with a $25 charge for it and nothing to show.

What if he was concerned that you had checked it out on a different seapass card and would later find it hadn't had a towel returned along with a $25 charge for it and nothing to show.

It would have been nice if this were his intentions. Just strange to go as far as shouting 'no' and standing with his arms apart in front of the towel container

I would have taken it to guest services and told them what happened at the pool. Im sure they would have been happy to take it. And either explain to you why the pool attendant was so adamant about not taking the towel or let you know that they would talk to him about his attitude.

On my recent cruise on the Brilliance I signed for a pool towel and used it for the day. At about 4.30 I took it back to the towel station and had my card scanned. The attendant then went on to say I hadn't signed a towel out and nothing was showing on my card. I asked if it was okay to just leave it in the towel container but he said no and got quite angry when I went to throw it in. In the end I gave up and took the towel home with me. I feel slightly bad now because I suppose it's theft. Anyway, because it happened when sailing out of Dubai could they prosecute me and chop my hand off if I return?

Are you for real?????

if yes - Where is that “when did cruising become trashy” thread when you need it. More action like this and we’ll have to give a deposit for sheets, bath towels and silverware.

For the record, I’ve been on many many cruises and have never seen a staff ( RCCL or otherwise) act in the manner you described

We had the same thing happen on Allure last week. Tried to return towels, told they werent on our card and that they couldnt take them back because it would mess up their count. We took it back to our room and left it on the balcony, which is what they told us to do. I suppose we would have just left them on a deck chair, or tossed them in the bin and made a run for it. Wish I had gone to the the "How to make a towel friend" class that they had on the caldendar a few nights in, who knows what I could have come up with.......BTW, Allure now just does Towel critters every other night, must be all those people taking towels home at the end of their cruises!

Are you for real?????

if yes - Where is that “when did cruising become trashy” thread when you need it. More action like this and we’ll have to give a deposit for sheets, bath towels and silverware.

For the record, I’ve been on many many cruises and have never seen a staff ( RCCL or otherwise) act in the manner you described

From other posts it seems it wasn't only me. I am for real love. I also did think they were going to charge me the 40 dollars

Meh- the whole towel thing is weird anyway. Someone stole our RCI towel from cococay - had it UNDER my shoes and bag- they actually moved my stuff to take the towel. Husband went to the pool deck and explained what happened. With no trouble at all - the towel attendant took ALL towels off our cards. We returned 2 more- they said but you have no towels- we said- oops yea obviously we do- and left them.

I panicked a little about "losing " their towel- worried about the fee- but they couldnt have been more reasonable about it. OP shouldve just left it in the room- Ive also done that and its worked out in the past. No charges, no worries.

Archived