Opinions wanted-which So. Caribbean cruise

Hi-

I need your help :). We are currently booked on the Enchantment for a 9 nighter out of Baltimore (San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee, Samana) next January. We booked this ship more for the convenience because we can drive to the port, but I'm thinking I really want to go to where it is warm the whole time.

My two choices right now are both 7 nights out of San Juan in early Jan. We're kind of limited to traveling at this time. The first option is the Brilliance going to St Thomas, St. Lucia, Guadaloupe, Antigua, and St. Croix. The second is the Adventure going to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao, and Aruba. And surprisingly the airfare out of New York isn't too bad. We would spend a couple nights in San Juan before the cruise too. The costs for all three cruises are roughly the same.

It is my wife and I (age 46 and 48). We went with the whole family this past January on a 10 nighter on the Explorer and absolutely loved it. We would repeat on the Explorer (easy drive to NJ) but it is only going to the Bahamas in our travel window.

I look forward to your sage advice and opinons.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi-

I need your help :). We are currently booked on the Enchantment for a 9 nighter out of Baltimore (San Juan, St. Thomas, Labadee, Samana) next January. We booked this ship more for the convenience because we can drive to the port, but I'm thinking I really want to go to where it is warm the whole time.

My two choices right now are both 7 nights out of San Juan in early Jan. We're kind of limited to traveling at this time. The first option is the Brilliance going to St Thomas, St. Lucia, Guadaloupe, Antigua, and St. Croix. The second is the Adventure going to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao, and Aruba. And surprisingly the airfare out of New York isn't too bad. We would spend a couple nights in San Juan before the cruise too. The costs for all three cruises are roughly the same.

It is my wife and I (age 46 and 48). We went with the whole family this past January on a 10 nighter on the Explorer and absolutely loved it. We would repeat on the Explorer (easy drive to NJ) but it is only going to the Bahamas in our travel window.

Thanks,

Chris

If it were me, I'd sail in the Brilliance...I love Radiance class ships!!

I would personally choose AOS but then I am biased as we have a B2B booked on here in early March 2013.

Hi-

Thanks,

Chris

You cannot go wrong with either choice. Sailing out of SJ in January is the best. You are already in the Caribbean so you start out with temperatures in the 80's.

We prefer the southern route with Aruba and Curaco. We also love the Voyager class ships (Adventure).

If you are looking for a nice hotel, we stay at the Marriott Stellaris both pre and post cruise.

I have sailed out of PR three times. Loved it each time. Sailed on Serenade twice and Adventure once, all southern carib. cruises. I really love the Radiance class ships. They are a medium size ship with lots of glass. Just loved everything about the Serenade. So I would choose the Brilliance.

We had to make this exact decision last year! We sailed Adventure last month and loved Aruba, Curacao and St Kitts! And we have the Brilliance booked for next March! You will love sailing out of San Juan...for the warmth but also the destination itself....we spent five days exploring Old San Juan, El Yunque etc.. And had a blast....we knew we had to go back and do it again. I really do not expect to enjoy St Croix, St Lucia and Guadeloupe as much, but maybe I have it all wrong!!! Either ship, you will love it!! You will just have to go back for round #2!

Thank you for the replies. I read a lot of reviews and searched the forums as well. Basically it appeared that both are good choices. So, instead of flipping a coin, I called RC to see if there were any aft cabins available (none showing up online). I was able to get a deck 9 aft cabin on Brilliance, so that is what we're doing.

Now...to pick a hotel in San Juan.

Thanks again,

Chris

Thank you for the replies. I read a lot of reviews and searched the forums as well. Basically it appeared that both are good choices. So, instead of flipping a coin, I called RC to see if there were any aft cabins available (none showing up online). I was able to get a deck 9 aft cabin on Brilliance, so that is what we're doing.

Now...to pick a hotel in San Juan.

Thanks again,

Chris

You're going to love the aft on the Brilliance, nice choice!

Which class of ship would you recommend for teens? We want to do southern Caribbean but not sure what ship. We have done oasis and allure and loved them, not sure what to do next just know we want the southern Caribbean. Thanks!

I'd actually recommend checking out the sailings on Celebrity Summit; They have their southern Caribbean schedule right into 2014 and I booked one for next April. I got an ocean view room on a nice single supplement, so it's worth checking out.

I live just a few miles outside Baltimore County. If you're going to travel in January, fly to Florida or San Juan. I love Baltimore and I love the Port of Baltimore, but weather in January can be so iffy. And I've cruised (but out of Norfolk) from the mid-Atlantic in November and the seas can be rough until you're south of Daytona anyway. If you only have 7 days for your cruise, fly down and enjoy the warm weather for your whole trip.

Have fun! We're doing a 7 day on Adventure for that same itinerary in April 2013. Can't wait!

You will love cruising out of SJ in January! We have been on the both the Adventure and the Brilliance and they are both great ships - your choice of the aft stateroom is a winner!

In SJ we have stayed at the Marriott Stellaris. Very nice hotel! Last trip we were with friends and they decided to go to the Downtown Courtyard...no where near as nice. Years ago we stayed at the Wyndham OJS which is now a Sheraton. Nice location for walking around OSJ.

I would do Brillance. I prefer the smaller ships. I really like the more islands. Yeah, it's only one more island, but you either get more island time or the ship is less crowded if you decide to stay on board.

Archived