Are you a CC incognito?

AZwaterbug

I like to reply, but on other boards (other cruise lines on cruise critic), I've really encountered some meanies. So now, even though I want to chime in, I don't. I'm just more cautious.

But, if you're new to CC, don't let my experience color yours. Post away! That's how message boards are awesome!!

If you are talking about shipboard activity, the best thing to do is to go to your cruise's roll call and check in with everyone there, and also to register for the Connections Party which is a meet and greet for Cruise Critic people on board. Your roll call is the way to find out about Cruise Critic activities, such as slot pulls, cabin crawls, sailaway parties and so on. If you like to have a door decoration, then the Cruise Critic sign is, as you noted, popular with some people. Are you worried that there is some sort of down side to identifying with the Cruise Critic posters on board?

I think the OP was concerned about staff/crew on the ship knowing they were a member of Cruise Critic. I have always thought that 'critic' was an unfortunate part of the name, because while there are always 'critical' comments, these boards don't exist so we can 'critique' cruises. It's so we can all benefit from shared information.

I don't think anyone on board would have any response, positive or negative, with you identfying yourself as a member--it really doesn't impact them in any way.

If you're thinking that you'll receive different treatment by the crew, either better or worse, I'd say it's doubtful. It wouldn't hurt, I don't think, to post a Cruise Critic sign on your door. I have heard tell of CC members who have been having a problem of one sort or another, and mentioning that they were a member of CC seems to have helped grease the skids-- Celebrity is mindful of the consequences of a bad review. Besides the Connections party, or rather, through the Connections party, CC members have been offered a few extra perks, like a bridge tour or galley tour.

Your fellow cruisers may have varying reactions. I took my Cruise Critic t-shirt on our last cruise. When I wore it, I got a few curious inquiries from folks who thought I was there in some sort of official capacity. On a shore excursion, I was approached by an island resident, asking how she could get a job on a cruise ship.

The first sailing on which we put the Cruise Critic door sign on our door, someone left a note asking for the location of the Connections party - their invitation never got to them. So we now put the sign up every time. We also make up a magnetic sign about the size of a party name tag with our CC handle and first names - along with a picture of the ship - and stick that on on the door as well. When you're walking down that seemingly endless corridor, that helps us find the cabin faster than spotting the number.

j

If you choose to put a Cruise Critic sign on your door, the only cruise staff that will notice it will be your cabin attendant or possibly someone delivering room service or checking your minibar. They won't care one way or the other. Other passengers might be curious if you wear a Tshirt or see your door sign and ask what it's for, but again it won't make any difference in the way you are viewed or treated. It's really only when you identify yourself to other Cruise Critic members that it might make a difference in your cruise experience. The easiest way to do this is by joining your cruise Roll Call before you cruise. Many members really enjoy the Meet & Mingle/Connections parties and other group activities and knowing they'll have a 'friend' before they get on board. Others don't enjoy it and prefer more spontaneous meetings - it's up to you!

Pretty tough to keep it quiet if you attend the Cruise Connections Party. :)

True, we used to wear our CC Golf shirts to the party too....

As Happy Cruiser 6143 said, the staff at the gathering always praise the CC for bringing up subjects that help Celebrity tune the cruise experience...

menshirt_new.jpg

On our last Celebrity cruise, we got an invitation to a "Passenger Forum" where several CC members were invited to drinks with the Cruise Director and other senior hotel staff to discuss how things could be improved. They seemed to value our input and we were made very welcome. They told us that the CEO of Celebrity reads Cruise Critic regularly and takes the comments very seriously. It was a positive experience.

Colleen

Hi I'm new to cruise critic and wondering ...Are you CC incognito or do you let the ship know that you are a crusie critic? I've seen cruise critic door displays are available for printing. Is this a good idea?

Hi welcome to CC. I particularly do not like to hang a cruise critic display at my door. But I would not think that we are incognito, specially if you are at the celebrity conections party with cruise critic fellows. I also agree that the word "critics" is not exactly what describes me best. I would prefer if we will call us "cruise adicts". But of course this is just my opinion...

My daughter has put that sign on our door before and we attend the CC get togethers so personnel on ship know we are. Does it mean anything? perhaps- I do not really know-my guess is not.

However posting on CC does alert us to things like price drops. We just upgraded our spa balcony to a sky suite for $300 extra total. Posts on our roll call alerted us.

Archived