HMC - A Container Vessel

sail7seas

This was something we never saw before......

As we were preparing to leave HMC on our recent Maasdam cruise,we saw a small container ship arrive at HMC with a large container and what looked like one half the usual full size.

I was surprised as it kept proceeding to the island and as we left, it was at the inlet entrance where the tenders go to proceed to the dock.

I am still trying to figure out how they will get those containers off the vessel but, of course, know all building supplies etc had to have been delivered there through the years. Surely there is a method and system but anyone want to share what they is?

They must have a crane they get get close enough to lift the containers off. I think it would have been fun to watch them do it

We saw the clipper leave before the container ship came.

They might have a crane, but it would require a fair amout of lifting capability and height, given the dimensions of even a "small" or 20 foot, intermodal container, which makes it a little unlikely. They might just have offloaded the contents without taking the intermodel container off the barge.

Those intermodal containers are the main way of transporting stuff when you live in the island type locations, Hawaii, the Caribbean, etc. In fact, they are the main way of transporting stuff all over the world. So, some new furniture might have been arriving, or many other possibilities. We have seen, on repo cruises, where the ship re-supplies in unique (rarely visited) ports, these can contain alcohol, foodstuffs and just about all types of supplies, and will be brought to the ship, and offloaded onto the ship.

Don't some small cargo ships carry their own crane for use in places without them? Maybe not a large enough crane to lift an entire container, but enough to lift pallets out of a container. I suppose you would have seen that if the ship had one, though.

Here's another thought: maybe the container wasn't actually destined for HMC, but just happened to be on board as the ship was making an en route stop to drop off or pick up something smaller.

Supplies, usually coming from nearby Eleuthera Isand, get delivered to HMC all the time. And don't forget, while some staff transfers to Eleuthera Island at the end of the day, other staff stays and lives on HMC. A container ship is too big to be able to enter the channel and proceed to the marina so a transfer needs to take place.

The only vessel in the "HMC fleet" that can accomodate that is the Half Moon Clipper. It has a crane on her rear deck that can be used to transfer supplies. As a matter of fact, that's what she does everytime a HAL (or Carnival) ship visits HMC, transfer supplies, primarily for the island's BBQ, from ship to the island. In the case of sea containers, if too big, it would have to be unloaded and transferred to the Clipper in smaller pieces

575.jpg

After I did my post, I also thought that if the vessel transporting the intermodal container were a landing craft of sorts, it could have a ramp and use the same area the island based tenders offload pax from the ships visiting. Some sort of land based vehicle might be able to drag or roll it off the ramp.

However, as Copper stated, the vessel would have to be no bigger than the current island based tenders to work in the harbor area.

We are always mid-ship port and that is where the Clipper comes aside the ship. I love standing on our veranda (particularly on Maasdam :) ) and watch them transfer all the supplies needed for the day along with what they send on tender. The big crates loaded with serving containers, fruit, supplies of all sort. It's so impressive watching them load her up in the morning and then lug all the things off at the end of the day. It all comes back aboard.

SO much work for the crew to set up the island for our wonderful beach day.

:) Could be that the container is emptied byhand at the dock

The only way to get to HMC's dock/marina is via the man-made channel. The Half Moon Clipper, the Anne Bonny, Henry Hudson and Rookie are the largest vessels able to get in there. If the container vessel S7S saw was larger than any of those four, she ain't getting in;)

The only way to get to HMC's dock/marina is via the man-made channel. The Half Moon Clipper, the Anne Bonny, Henry Hudson and Rookie are the largest vessels able to get in there. If the container vessel S7S saw was larger than any of those four, she ain't getting in;)
So how did they get all materials for the buildings, roads, etc onto shore ... many, many, many trips with those four boats?

So how did they get all materials for the buildings, roads, etc onto shore ... many, many, many trips with those four boats?

Probably on barges of a size and draft that made access and egress in/out of the channel feasible. That's an assumption; I wasn't there:cool:

After I did my post, I also thought that if the vessel transporting the intermodal container were a landing craft of sorts, it could have a ramp and use the same area the island based tenders offload pax from the ships visiting. Some sort of land based vehicle might be able to drag or roll it off the ramp.

However, as Copper stated, the vessel would have to be no bigger than the current island based tenders to work in the harbor area.

I have previously seen inter-island ships delivering to HMC. They appear to "land" between the channel entrance and the Grand Cabana. The ones I saw had a ramp in the front and were using a tractor type vehicle to tow the containers which were on truck trailers off the boat and onto the island. It was a bit of a surprise passing between the Welcome Center and the beach to see it coming along the path/roadway from the Marina.

So interesting Copper, thanks for the information, I have often wonder how they got all that stuff that makes up HMC there on the island.

Archived