Nickel and dime on the Dawn

Sea and Me

I've been reading a few cruise reviews for the Dawn. A few comments were that NCL nickels and dimes passengers example: bingo, jewelry, drinks etc. This will be our first cruise on NCL since '95 but we have been on many cruises on different lines. The ships do offer bingo, shops, drinks etc. but a passenger can refuse and not buy what is offered.

To those of you that have cruised NCL do you find that the crew bother you to shop etc.?? Your thoughts please and thanks.

Carol

We were on the Spirit as you can see from my sig., never felt nickle and dimed.

Yes, but only since December 2011 when they re-vamped the Latitudes programme. When we first cruised with NCL they still had the bubbly on boarding and pillow chocolates - they disappeared a couple of years ago now.

Right. Hey I can remember back in the day when they use to have the extravagant midnight buffet in the 1980's. Now they just have the chocolate buffet....which is really not as good of a display on some of the ships. But hey, at least the towel animals haven't changed. :D

Not NCL

But check out this video of extra costs on the Oasis of the Seas. BTW, NCL's Italian restaurant is only $10pp not $15pp on RCCL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a033iU-vG0U&feature=g-vrec&context=G2f1e4a9RVAAAAAAAAAQ

Thanks for the video. SOME DAY, I WILL get on the Oasis (or Allure). I just have to see that ship. That video was awesome and showed a lot more than I've seen in the past. Thanks for sharing. :)

Yes, but only since December 2011 when they re-vamped the Latitudes programme. When we first cruised with NCL they still had the bubbly on boarding and pillow chocolates - they disappeared a couple of years ago now.

We cruised NCL last summer and missed the pillow chocolate. Our steward said NCL cut them out because too many went to waste. That is hard to believe. What kind of pillow chocolate was added in December?

We cruised NCL last summer and missed the pillow chocolate. Our steward said NCL cut them out because too many went to waste. That is hard to believe. What kind of pillow chocolate was added in December?

We got something similar to Andes mints on our pillows on Epic in December and, when our steward remembered:(, on the Star in March.

From what I have read it seems that many who cruise NCL are considered a little bit lower class cruisers...the prices on NCL is a bit lower and more appealing to people like me who aren't all that picky about food and as long as I get to the fun places ie Roatan or Belize, then I don't sweat a smaller room etc.

I think that my only annoyance is the soda charge but since I don't drink, gamble or eat in the extra pay food venues they aren't making any money on me anyway LOL

I will bring my soda on with me and not pay the "dime" for a bottle or buy the soda mug and probably buy one or two pictures for my memories and a Christmas ornament all which are discretionary in the first place. :p

I am a fussy eater in a sense. I don't like the banquet feel to the large MDR's. The specialty restaurants suite the way I enjoy dining. If you are not picky about food and are looking for pretty ships and a place to get lots of exercise in try the RCCL's larger ships.

BTW on 4 occasions on our 11 day cruise on the Dawn we ate dinner in AQUA and other than the beef dishes I thought the food was very good. On the VOS this past summer there were 9 of us so lots of different meals were ordered and the consencus was that the food was "alright".

Right. Hey I can remember back in the day when they use to have the extravagant midnight buffet in the 1980's. Now they just have the chocolate buffet....which is really not as good of a display on some of the ships. But hey, at least the towel animals haven't changed. :D

And that was EVERY night instead of just one or two!

Archived