London - Fort Lauderdale - December 2012

Lotus Girl

Having done this flight in March this year with Virgin but direct to Miami, we are looking to fly from London (any airport) to Fort Lauderdale.

If anyone has done this route, can you advise where your stop(s) were? Whilst BA & Virgin are great flying direct, we are thinkig in-direct for a change to eliminate the hassle at Miami airport then the taxi transfer down to FLL.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Karen

Delta via Atlanta or NYC, United via Newark or Washington DC, or US Airways via Charlotte...probably your most direct routes. Other options are Air Canada via Toronto or Montreal (maybe Ottawa?), American or United via Chicago...

Having done this flight in March this year with Virgin but direct to Miami, we are looking to fly from London (any airport) to Fort Lauderdale.

If anyone has done this route, can you advise where your stop(s) were? Whilst BA & Virgin are great flying direct, we are thinkig in-direct for a change to eliminate the hassle at Miami airport then the taxi transfer down to FLL.

Karen

Checking your dates on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/, the best price seems to be on Air Canada via YUL/Montreal. I would definitely recommend this routing - nice airport, and you'll pre-clear US immigration/customs in YUL, so once arrived in FLL all you have to do is get your luggage and go.

Karen

Karen,

I would stick with a flight direct to Miami, much safer. You are asking for problems if you fly via another city to Fort Lauderdale. It is always advisable to take the most direct route, especially when cruising.

Here's another vote for flying direct into Miami.....do you really want to connect flights in Canada in December? Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. NY and Newark are also risky, you could get caught in a blizzard and never make it in time for the cruise.

We fly in a day early always use Virgin P/E, stay at an airport Hotel,

Using Hotwire or Priceline usually get the Marriott or Sheraton for about $75'

I hire a car for pck up the next day, have a nice leisurely drive up towards Ft Lauderdale, have some breakfast,do any last minute shopping,drop the luggage off at the port,take the car back and take the free shuttle to the port.

Simples

Flying P/E you get off the plane first, but last time we went economy we just sat down read a book and waited for the queue to go down, I cannot stand for long periods due to an ankle injury.

Also the in flight service on some American carriers is not the best and they tend to use 757's or similar smaller planes. I also would be wary of flying into NYC prior to Christmas and also remember you will have to get your luggage and go through full security again. Not a pleasant experience you might also check that clearing US customs in Canada is only doable for Canadian Citizens.

Hope his helps

Karen,

I would stick with a flight direct to Miami, much safer. You are asking for problems if you fly via another city to Fort Lauderdale. It is always advisable to take the most direct route, especially when cruising.

I agree.

We have colleagues and friends flying direct to Miami and catching cruises from Fort Lauderdale all the time. One said the cab fare was about $80 from MIA to FLL hotel and it was for 4 of them with bags. Ride takes 30-40 mins.

Be on the safe side and book direct to MIA, period.

Cheers.

Karen

Trust me, you will have the same hassle at other US airports when they are the first point of entry into USA - for Immigration control.

Flew into JFK 2 weeks ago from LHR - unfortunately there was another AA flight from Paris at the same time .... that's the travelling life.

:confused::confused::confused:

Can anyone suggest the best way to get a good reasonable hotel in Fort Lauderdale for 2 night prior to a cruise in Feb,

We fly in a day early always use Virgin P/E, stay at an airport Hotel,

Using Hotwire or Priceline usually get the Marriott or Sheraton for about $75'

I hire a car for pck up the next day, have a nice leisurely drive up towards Ft Lauderdale, have some breakfast,do any last minute shopping,drop the luggage off at the port,take the car back and take the free shuttle to the port.

Simples

Flying P/E you get off the plane first, but last time we went economy we just sat down read a book and waited for the queue to go down, I cannot stand for long periods due to an ankle injury.

Also the in flight service on some American carriers is not the best and they tend to use 757's or similar smaller planes. I also would be wary of flying into NYC prior to Christmas and also remember you will have to get your luggage and go through full security again. Not a pleasant experience you might also check that clearing US customs in Canada is only doable for Canadian Citizens.

Hope his helps

• 2 weeks later...
you might also check that clearing US customs in Canada is only doable for Canadian Citizens.

Not true. Everybody on the aircraft has to pre-clear U.S. Immigration and Customs in Montreal. When it arrives in the U.S. it's like a domestic flight, you just walk away. Personally, I avoid Miami Immigration and Customs like the plague. Dreadful place.

Archived