Wrinkled Wardrobe !

smiles55

small secret from someone who almost lives out of a suitcase...

Run the shower at the hottest possible temperature.

Hang your clothes in the bathroom

close the door

wait

Voilà! a self made steam treatment for your clothes.

this really works.

use plastic between your clothes, like the bags from the drycleaners. If you don't normally use a drycleaners most all cleaners will sell them for a nominal fee. Or I have also heard that tissue paper works much the same way

Yup: take them out of the suitcase, hang them up. Then take them off the hanger, put them on and don't worry about it! We all will have a few wrinkles, and a few of them not just on the clothes - some of us more than others.

Den

I've given up on most packing ideas. I do the best we can packing wise and then just send out whatever is too wrinkled to wear for pressing as soon as we're unpacked. If you send it out the afternoon or early evening of embarkation day they'll get it back to you by late afternoon the next day without the usual express surcharge for 1 day service.

just realized I can't take my portable steamer. Any ideas for getting the post packing wrinkles out !

Several good suggestions offered above & have used them myself. Just one question.... why can't you take your portable steamer? I have a small one that I take on every cruise & works great. I am very careful to only plug it in when about to use it & unplug it immediately after use.

Several good suggestions offered above & have used them myself. Just one question.... why can't you take your portable steamer? I have a small one that I take on every cruise & works great. I am very careful to only plug it in when about to use it & unplug it immediately after use.

Celebrity has now added steamers to the list of forbidden items.

From the Celebrity web site:

Are steamers allowed onboard?

Steamers or irons are not allowed onboard. However, there is a full laundry and dry-cleaning service available onboard for a reasonable rate.

Bring a spray bottle, fill with water and spray all your clothes...the wrinkles come out almost immediately and you just have to wait for the clothes to air dry. Got that tip on this board and was surprised how well it worked, it was actually faster and worked BETTER than my steamer. I didn't send any clothes to be ironed on my March 17th cruise and we were wrinkle free!

I have used the product Wrinkle Free made by Downey and was quite happy with the results. Next time I will spray clothing and then hang in the steamy bathroom and they should be completely wrinkle free. Of course the product must go in your checked luggage if you are flying.

Ciao,

Nikki

Celebrity has now added steamers to the list of forbidden items......

Bring a spray bottle, fill with water and spray all your clothes...the wrinkles come out almost immediately and you just have to wait for the clothes to air dry........

I have used the product Wrinkle Free made by Downey and was quite happy with the results......

Thanks for the additional tips. After reading about the new Celebrity rule I was going to ask about what's likely the same product Nikki mentioned. I saw a spray bottle of "Downey Wrinkle Releaser" at Target & wondered how that might work. Guess we'll have to give it a try to compare with the spray bottle of water mentioned. :)

Thanks for the additional tips. After reading about the new Celebrity rule I was going to ask about what's likely the same product Nikki mentioned. I saw a spray bottle of "Downey Wrinkle Releaser" at Target & wondered how that might work. Guess we'll have to give it a try to compare with the spray bottle of water mentioned. :)

In my experience it works about as well as water, not very well. Also if you have silk clothing, which I do have quite a few silk shirts, the water or wrinkle releaser has a tendency to spot them.

close the door

wait

this really works.

I'll 2nd this suggestion along with using the plastic from the cleaners. Both are an unbeatable combo and have never failed me yet.

I read this really great tip somewhere else on cruise critic, tried it on my last cruise and was so impressed I use it regularly at home now.

Pack an empty spray bottle. Pack a dryer sheet (or two). When you get on the ship and unpack, put the dryer sheet into the bottle and fill with water. Instant "wrinkle releaser". Give your clothes a spray to dampen then kind of stretch the fabric out a bit. Let dry and wrinkles will hang out.

Another big tick for the dry cleaners bags, I travel a lot on business, I put dresses that are likely to crease inside a bag, lay the item flat out and then roll it up - never a crease

I have used the product Wrinkle Free made by Downey and was quite happy with the results. Next time I will spray clothing and then hang in the steamy bathroom and they should be completely wrinkle free. Of course the product must go in your checked luggage if you are flying.

Ciao,

Nikki

This product works really well but found out the hard way to be careful of the over spray going on the carpeting or the floor. Makes it VERY slippery!

close the door

wait

this really works.

I second this! Works great!

-I know a number of younger people who don't own an iron and use the Downy product exclusivley--if you get skilled at spraying and then tugging and smoothing, it can take the wrinkles out--but it works best on knits, not so well on heavier cotton items and I would be cautious with silk or anything that does not like water--But then if you bring silk on a trip I guess you should be prepared to launder it.

The plastic bags in luggage help--I find that the most important step is to roll everything, using plastic with those items most likely to wrinkle.

-

The plastic bags in luggage help--I find that the most important step is to roll everything, using plastic with those items most likely to wrinkle.

I save my dry cleaning bags for this purpose:D Also, you can ask for the long ones for evening clothes or extra long items. My cleaners will give me two or three when I ask. Also, when purchasing certain items many retail stores will hang the items in these type bags. Rolling is an excellent way to reduce wrinkles in many items because there are not the distinct creases you get from folding. I've found it important to practice a little on the rolling.

I read this really great tip somewhere else on cruise critic, tried it on my last cruise and was so impressed I use it regularly at home now.

Pack an empty spray bottle. Pack a dryer sheet (or two). When you get on the ship and unpack, put the dryer sheet into the bottle and fill with water. Instant "wrinkle releaser". Give your clothes a spray to dampen then kind of stretch the fabric out a bit. Let dry and wrinkles will hang out.

Great tip! I'd heard recently that commercially packaged wrinkle remover was basically just diluted fabric softener...

My guess is allow portable steamers would cut into their income from people having clothes pressed. Most of them do not get hot enough to cause any real damage. Could be their experience was the people were not careful, but I'd think a hair dryer would be more dangerous and they haven't outlawed those so people have to go to the SPA to get their hair dried ...

:rolleyes:

Tom

My guess is allow portable steamers would cut into their income from people having clothes pressed. Most of them do not get hot enough to cause any real damage. Could be their experience was the people were not careful, but I'd think a hair dryer would be more dangerous and they haven't outlawed those so people have to go to the SPA to get their hair dried ...

:rolleyes:

Tom

Probably not the heat so much as the voltage drain. But if they ban downy wrinkle release your theory may be validated.

Yup: take them out of the suitcase, hang them up. Then take them off the hanger, put them on and don't worry about it! We all will have a few wrinkles, and a few of them not just on the clothes - some of us more than others.

Den

YES, I like it.

Archived