What's the Deal with the Lawn?

teacher_md

But, everywhere on the grassy areas, you have a view of the ocean all around you!!

Please take time to imagine how you can see "the ocean all around you" if the lawn is located between two superstructures with huge funnels on top of them.:eek: Add glass fence arond the lawn.

I don't understand what to you makes a "ship feel like a ship and look like a ship"..

I personally prefer Celebrity ships BECAUSE they do a better job than most allowing me to feel closer to the ocean

Try Cunard, HAL, Princess, at least some of RCI and you'll understand what makes ship feel like a ship and what is "closer to the ocean".

In my opinion, the worst way of cruising is to cruise with the same cruise line over and over. People get "perks" (Mr. Brown, thank you for cruising with us 100 times. Here is your plate of fruits!) but lose much more - taste of cruising.

Please take time to imagine how you can see "the ocean all around you" if the lawn is located between two superstructures with huge funnels on top of them.:eek: Add glass fence arond the lawn.

Try Cunard, HAL, Princess, at least some of RCI and you'll understand what makes ship feel like a ship and what is "closer to the ocean".

In my opinion, the worst way of cruising is to cruise with the same cruise line over and over. People get "perks" (Mr. Brown, thank you for cruising with us 100 times. Here is your plate of fruits!) but lose much more - taste of cruising.

Most of us don't have to take time to imagine how we can see the ocean from the lawn because we've been there, done that. And we liked it.

If you hate everything Celebrity so much, why are you hanging around on this board?

P.S. Tried HAL. Didn't do a lot for me. And it certainly didn't feel "closer to the ocean."

Not that those pics are of not classy ships by any means. I think the 3rd pic is of the Ruby Princess? I've sailed on her and yes she's a very classy ship. Don't know which ships those first two pics of aft pools are?

But to imply the Solstice or Eclipse which I've sailed on are not classy is misguided. Those ships are the epitome of class. :)

Do you even think about what you are going to write before you write it? Most of the nonsense you are spewing here is completely wrong. Have you even bothered to look at a photo of the area we are talking about? From your stupefyingly inaccurate assumptions of the lawn areas, you certainly don't have a clue.

As to the glass fence that seems to disgust you, what do you think should be there. Solid metal panels? Nothing at all? What cruise ship have you been on that doesn't have glass "fences" on virtually every deck to keep the views open while keeping the passengers from falling off?

Look at the following photos carefully. I dare you to look. See the grass areas? They are on both sides of the superstructure with the ability to walk right up to the edge and look over. Another grass area spans the entire width.

eclipse.jpg

Here is another angle in case you still don't want to see where the grass areas are:

0002SOLSTICE-Lawn-Club-5.jpg.jpg

And one more, because I suspect you still won't look and see what this area actually looks like.

celebrity-equinox-lawn-keeper.jpg

Crusetrail, your odd opinions are getting tiring. Please stop. I'll ask again - if you don't like Celebrity's product, why on earth are you spending so much time denigrating ships that most of us here enjoy? Is your life that empty that you must spend it trying to convince people that you are the best judge of what makes a ship worthwhile? I simply don't get your obsession with this. It is really weird.

SantaFeFan, from what point of the lawn can you see the ocean all around you?

Really? That's what you are challenging? I can see the ocean "all around me" a heck of a lot better than on your precious promenade deck which will always have the interior of the ship blocking the view behind you, or your preferred aft pool areas, such as the one with solid white railings in the top photo in your "classy ship" collage, or with the superstructures that wrap around 200 degrees of the area as in the lower photo in same collage, and as in the middle photo, with walls raising up on both sides.

I'm starting to think you must be reading a braille version of this CruiseCritic forum. :rolleyes:

2vl1sp2.jpg

Not that those pics are of not classy ships by any means. I think the 3rd pic is of the Ruby Princess? I've sailed on her and yes she's a very classy ship. Don't know which ships those first two pics of aft pools are?

But to imply the Solstice or Eclipse which I've sailed on are not classy is misguided. Those ships are the epitome of class. :)

That were the QM2 and the Eurodam.

I agree, the Solstice class is quite classy.

However in my classification it shares #4/5 with RCI.

RCI ships (5 largest) are better designed but Celebrity S-class has better food and more upscale atmosphere.

I will post my review with nice photos.

bigmohes-On Eclipse did you happen to meet wonderful Sunset bartender Ignacio De La Torre? We greatly enjoyed our nightly predinner cocktails there with him! Here he is during one of his lighter moments! Bwaaaaah! :D

7114311225_2b85ac4b8a_z.jpg

Sunset Bartender Ignacio goofing by snokeldawgs, on Flickr

no I don't recall seeing him but we were usually there early morning till mid afternoon. we hit the martini bar for pre dinner drinks.

Classy ships normally have aft pools there.

2vl1sp2.jpg

As your third picture illustrates, the Lawn Club is on a deck higher up than any pool deck I would be familiar with. Then again, I may just not have sailed anything "classy" enough.:rolleyes:

Am I the only one to notice from SantaFe Fan's pictures (particularly the first one) just how few people are on the lawn and how many are crammed liked sardines on loungers on the deck below. Is this really the best use of space on a ship?

And SantaFe Fan, at the risk of your invective, I AM a Celebrity Fan, having just taken my first cruise with them, I have 3 more cruises booked for the future with Celebrity. ;)

I was deliriously happy to get rid of the damn grass at home. Can't imagine why I would want it on a ship. If you want grass, stay in a place by a golf course or near a park, not on a ship. What's next - fruit trees so that we can pick our own fresh fruit? Maybe robotic deer so that we can think that we are in a a forest w animals. By the way, if they are going to give us the opportunity to cook our own steaks, they should also give us the opportunity to shoot the animals and skin and gut them.

DON

Am I the only one to notice from SantaFe Fan's pictures (particularly the first one) just how few people are on the lawn and how many are crammed liked sardines on loungers on the deck below. Is this really the best use of space on a ship?

And that is one of the reasons this area is so nice! Instead of having to be near the pool with the masses, grab a towel and lay out on the lawn just like people are doing in this photo previously posted by TCLOhio (thanks for the excellent photo!).

SolsticeLawnBackSunSoaking.jpg

Quiet, calm, relaxing, and NO chair hog conflicts. If being around the pool is that important, then go for it. Me, I much prefer the peaceful atmosphere above the fray. I don't go on a cruise to be overly stimulated.

I was deliriously happy to get rid of the damn grass at home. Can't imagine why I would want it on a ship. If you want grass, stay in a place by a golf course or near a park, not on a ship. What's next - fruit trees so that we can pick our own fresh fruit? Maybe robotic deer so that we can think that we are in a a forest w animals. By the way, if they are going to give us the opportunity to cook our own steaks, they should also give us the opportunity to shoot the animals and skin and gut them.

DON

Whether I agree with you or not, this made me LOL! icon7.gif

Most people insist on being close to the pools. Even if the entire deck were pool space, most people would end up around the pool, and all other spaces, whether the lawn area, the upper decks overlooking the pools, or virtually anywhere else, will look under utilized at the expense of cramming around the pool. We see this on every ship, no matter how much space is made available elsewhere, most people will gravitate to the pools. Make more space around the pools, more people will cram themselves into that space.

It's a credit to Celebrity that they looked beyond the box (or should I say, 'beyond the pool') and set aside a nice open area for those people who prefer simple quiet to crowded chaos.

DON

And this from someone who lives in the most fake city in the world, Las Vegas!!!

You can fix your concerns quite easily - don't cruise on these ships!! Everything can't be only your preferred way. There actually are other people on these cruise ships, and many don't feel the way you do. It's not all about you. :rolleyes:

I can understand complaining about something you can't avoid or something you are forced to do, but to complain about a ship that a person voluntarily chooses to be on seems more than a bit ridiculous.

I'll sail on the Silhouette in just under 3 weeks. I was well aware of the lawn on Solstice-class ships, but somehow missed reading that there is NO promenade! I know that not all ships have a promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship, but there IS a deck on both sides of the ship. Is there no outside lower deck on S-class ships?

Most people insist on being close to the pools. Even if the entire deck were pool space, most people would end up around the pool, and all other spaces, whether the lawn area, the upper decks overlooking the pools, or virtually anywhere else, will look under utilized at the expense of cramming around the pool. We see this on every ship, no matter how much space is made available elsewhere, most people will gravitate to the pools. Make more space around the pools, more people will cram themselves into that space.

It's a credit to Celebrity that they looked beyond the box (or should I say, 'beyond the pool') and set aside a nice open area for those people who prefer simple quiet to crowded chaos.

But the deck I'm referring to (i.e. the deck below the lawn) is not by the pool, it's actually the deck above the pool. Although you can see the pool, the angle of the shot makes it look like it could be the pool deck. You can't actually see the pool deck on the photos, although I'm sure that was even more crowded ;)

I'll sail on the Silhouette in just under 3 weeks. I was well aware of the lawn on Solstice-class ships, but somehow missed reading that there is NO promenade! I know that not all ships have a promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship, but there IS a deck on both sides of the ship. Is there no outside lower deck on S-class ships?

There is a promenade deck, but the view is blocked by the life boats and it does not wrap around the ship. On Solstice it was mainly used for smokers on one side of deck 5 of our cruise, and being with some smokers on our cruise I did not notice many other making use of the space. There are chairs to sit on, at least on our Solstice cruise but again except for a few spots the view out to the ocean was obstructed by the life boats unlike other ships where they are tucked up and under the top of the Promenade deck.

There is a promenade deck, but the view is blocked by the life boats and it does not wrap around the ship. On Solstice it was mainly used for smokers on one side of deck 5 of our cruise, and being with some smokers on our cruise I did not notice many other making use of the space. There are chairs to sit on, at least on our Solstice cruise but again except for a few spots the view out to the ocean was obstructed by the life boats unlike other ships where they are tucked up and under the top of the Promenade deck.

Thank you for clarifying.

It's not exactly a wide, wooden promenade, but there is a walking "track" area on the 14th floor of the Solstice-class ships. Below is one of my pictures to show how it looks and works.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 76,485 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This is a view of the upper floor, 14th level above the main pool area on the Solstice-type ships. This illustrates how the space for walking can be a little narrow and congested during the middle of the afternoon as this area fills up with people enjoying the sun, etc. BUT, things are much easier and more open for your walking/laps earlier in the am, plus in the evenings.:

SolsticeWalkingTrackArea.jpg

Archived