Class Distinctions??

malony33

Kings Court is the breakfast and luncheon buffet area, broken up into four ethnic styles of cuisine served from a number of different stations as well as a deli section making sandwiches

Kings%20Court.jpg

At night, this area splits into four separate dining venues by means of sliding decorative panels. There is an Asian restaurant, an Italian, a Carvery, and what is styled as "the Chef's Galley" where a celebrity chef gives cooking lessons to a very small group of diners.

Despite these glittering pretensions, we found the seating too tight, the tables too few, the ceilings too low and the supply chain so tight that the self service buffets always look empty.

Really a sad, depressing, over-lit monstrosity of a space. Very Food-Court ala your local Mall. :p

The cunard that AZ4me describes ceased to exist with the demise of QE2. Having done two crossings in Queens Grill on QM2 I can say it's nothing like that now. Just walk through King's Court (if you absolutely have to) and you'll see what I mean.

Huh? I haven't been on Cunard, so the memories weren't mine. But, I did enjoy reading Spook1's version of his memory of Cunard.

That wasn't my description. I'll stick with Oceania. :)

When I'm on Oceania I always feel like I'm in a First Class World.

~Doris~

I believe you summed it up in one sentence, Doris

Oceania provides a wonderful, relaxing, and quite eloquent setting for a get away.

My advice to anyone worried about class distinctions aboard an O ship? Relax and enjoy the incredible experience. You'll have to disembark way before you're ready to.

Kings Court is the breakfast and luncheon buffet area, broken up into four ethnic styles of cuisine served from a number of different stations as well as a deli section making sandwiches

Kings%20Court.jpg

At night, this area splits into four separate dining venues by means of sliding decorative panels. There is an Asian restaurant, an Italian, a Carvery, and what is styled as "the Chef's Galley" where a celebrity chef gives cooking lessons to a very small group of diners.

Despite these glittering pretensions, we found the seating too tight, the tables too few, the ceilings too low and the supply chain so tight that the self service buffets always look empty.

Really a sad, depressing, over-lit monstrosity of a space. Very Food-Court ala your local Mall. :p

JimandStan Once again your photos explain more than words. I certainly find no warmth in above space and have never eaten there. But I do like Golden Lion Pub for lunch and find the pub grub some of the best I have ever tasted. Also, Kings Court was not included on Liz and Vicky. And the Lion jazz...LIFE CAN BE GOOD.:)

Interesting to see this discussion of Cunard given the theme of this thread. Cunard takes class distinctions to the nth degree so it isn't for everyone as this thread reveals. However, to its credit, when we sailed on Cunard I didn't find one thing that wasn't exactly as it had been described in the Cunard print material. OCL needs to model that and fix what it says about room service in the things it gives to prospective guests.

What class distinction? You book Queens Grill on Cunard you get a butler and bar set up. You book three top Oceania suites you get butler and bar set up and a butler tossed into the mix for penthouse. You get special lounge on Cunard and same on Oceania. On Cunard you dine in Grill with same table and same waiter. If this is the class distinction you speak then I would think you'd be happy these snobs are segregated so as not to spoil your meal with over-your-head conversation. Even better Grill has a pool deck to themselves so they don't contaminate your pool. Just as Oceania lower priced verandas keep the unwashed off the Canyon Ranch deck. Other than this both lines give run of the ship to all; And I have not as yet seen Cunard requiring those guests booked other than Grill to wear orange jump suites. :eek:

Just as Oceania lower priced verandas keep the unwashed off the Canyon Ranch deck.

Anyone can have access to the spa deck ... for some it is free ( a perk) others have to pay

I must be missing something here. I only sailed once on Oceania Marina in Oceanview Class. Everything about the cruise was first class. I enjoyed the company of guests in every class without condescension. Expecting too much will spoil a cruise.

Money distinction. Which is what this thread is about We are not debating inferior mothers' milk as some would have it in India or the wrong side of the tracks.

And none of my comments are to belittle one product or praise another. Oceania, Cunard, Royal Caribbean International, etc, are unique and aim at a particular market. Obviously all are successful . The buyer can pick and choose a cruise as well as make, color, style of a car.

The day that isn't true we are in trouble.

Bon Voyage:)

Spook1,

I was referring to the overall atmosphere and experience on Cunard now as opposed to the old cunard. There would never have been a venue as disgusting as King's Court on an old Cunard liner.

• 2 weeks later...
Money distinction. Which is what this thread is about We are not debating inferior mothers' milk as some would have it in India or the wrong side of the tracks.

And none of my comments are to belittle one product or praise another. Oceania, Cunard, Royal Caribbean International, etc, are unique and aim at a particular market. Obviously all are successful . The buyer can pick and choose a cruise as well as make, color, style of a car.

The day that isn't true we are in trouble.

Bon Voyage:)

You've hit the nail on the head - money distinction, nothing at all to do with class.

Archived