Class Distinctions??

malony33

I'm not disturbed that there are lounges for higher class staterooms or suites at all. That info was in the brochure.

But I didn't know that the spa pool and deck was for extra fee ($25/day) for only some PAX (did not get info from brochure) and did not know that hot room service breakfast was not provided -- and that information should have been available. I found out only after I booked on CC boards and then called Oceania for confirmation.

If too many amenities are "extra", it does create a picture of a class system but I am still very much looking forward to our "big cruise" next year.

Thanks to those who assure CCers that they were treated respectfully.

Linda

• 1 month later...
Not a big deal but it's the underlying attitude that bothers me, that passengers will be segregated based on cabin choice. I'm sure that there will be some people who do like the idea of not having to converse with lower category passengers but that's not been my impression of the people I have met.

We met a friendly couple on numerous occasions while playing mini-golf and table tennis that we invited to dinner in our large suite and couldn't care less that they were in a lower deck cabin. I mean, really, who cares a fig about what cabin someone stays in? Besides, whenever I have a bit of good fortune, I like to share it.

I won't deny that Oceania does have class distinctions, and sometimes they increase and sometimes they decrease.

For example, it used to be that only the top suites had minibars, now everyone does.

It used to be that no one could make specialty restaurant reservations until boarding, now some can make them online sooner than others. It does seem to me that the restriction on number of reservations available to a cabin category has NOT changed.

Upper suite passengers could always board earlier, but that makes sense because their cabins are prepared first. That doesn't mean that non-concierge passengers are banned from boarding early because they are not ... unless the Terrace Cafe is jammed full, in which case these passengers do have to wait for space to free up ... which usually happens once the upper suite passengers can go to their cabins.

BUT, even so -- I found far more class distinctions on Cunard than I ever have on Oceania.

And -- I'm not the first to say this and I don't think I'll be the last -- all passengers are treated equally by staff. And if you really want more specialty restaurant reservations, most of the time you can get them just by asking.

Mura

I think there is absolutely no comparison between Oceania and Cunard in regard to "class distinction".

On Cunard you cannot dine at Queen's Grill no matter how much you beg and plead, unless you are staying in a certain category cabin.

There is no such situation on Oceania - ever. Everyone can eat anywhere they wish to - and this is a very important difference, IMO.

I am not troubled by the fact that some people (who pay a lot more than I do) get an earlier crack at specialty restaurant reservations, as long as I can get my allotment - and I always do (and usually more).

I would say that on Oceania in general it is a perk for paying more.

But on Cunard, it is definitely class distinction.

Mura

I agree.

When you cannot dine at certain venue no matter what (unless you stay in a certain cat cabin) - that's class distinction; as in "You are not welcome here, Sir/Madame".

That will never happen to you on Oceania.

It may be a subtle but very important distinction.

Wow, I love the Oceania forum! I just read this whole thread and find it extremely interesting how so much can be said about failure to mention that only continental breakfast is served in some cabins. It was quite refreshing compared to the hundreds of repetitive threads in other cruise line forums on the subject of formal attire.

Maybe Oceania should update the room service copy in their collateral and include a better description.

With the issue of continental breakfast not being mentioned in Oceania's collateral having been addressed above, all I have to say is I would take cold room service breakfast any day to avoid bingo, art auctions, annoying photographers, endless announcements, and formal nights. Oh, but I don't have to because I decided to pay $100 more and booked an A4 instead of a B1. ;)

...all I have to say is I would take cold room service breakfast any day to avoid bingo, art auctions, annoying photographers, endless announcements, and formal nights. Oh, but I don't have to because I decided to pay $100 more and booked an A4 instead of a B1. ;)

You've actually articulated Oceania's policy very well! Bottom line, it's not "class distinction", and it's NOT a restriction on the lower categories, it's an incentive to book the higher priced categories!

C'mon, now, how many people would pay more if they didn't get more! One of the most repeated questions on the forum is regading Comcierge prices being worth the difference; Oceania is not CUTTING the hot breakfast out of the lower categories, they are ADDING the hot breakfasts (and the spa deck and the champagned and the cashmere lap robe and the tote bag, etc. etc., to make the higher price more worthwhile. Sounds like a Good Business Plan to me....anyone want Oceania to lose money?

Of course one pays more for added amenities or better location and view. The hot room service breakfast seems to be more of a stickler than the services of a butler or champagne and cashmere blanket in the cabin. Maybe it's because one can order room service hot hot breakfast regardless of what type of room they are staying in at the Westin :)

This thread has been a bit disturbing to me, since being mostly-classless is one of the things I loved about Regent cruises in the past. But I think I can rationalize most of what I've read here (although I'm aware it is a rationalization.)

Upper suite passengers could always board earlier, but that makes sense because their cabins are prepared first. That doesn't mean that non-concierge passengers are banned from boarding early because they are not ... unless the Terrace Cafe is jammed full, in which case these passengers do have to wait for space to free up ... which usually happens once the upper suite passengers can go to their cabins.

Are you telling me that you can't board the ship if the Terrace Cafe is full? Does this mean you can't walk around the ship after boarding, but before obtaining your room? That's weird.

But I didn't know that the spa pool and deck was for extra fee ($25/day) for only some PAX (did not get info from brochure) and did not know that hot room service breakfast was not provided -- and that information should have been available.

As for the lounge, I see it this way: the spa deck is an extra-cost feature, and this cost has been pre-paid for suite guests.

In all of the 11 cruises I've done on Regent, where room service is included for everyone, I've never had a room service breakfast. :rolleyes:

Many veteran cruisers on O stick a bathing suit or shorts and tee in their carry on luggage and change when they board; they can lay about or swim while waiting for their cabin to be announced. Great wait staff, a cold drink and warm sun does wonders for getting rid of the airplane blues!

Are you telling me that you can't board the ship if the Terrace Cafe is full? Does this mean you can't walk around the ship after boarding, but before obtaining your room? That's weird.

Of course you can wander the ship once onboard just not on the cabin decks unless you are on a suite or concierge level

We usually board later in the day so go to the pool deck have a snack or something to drink (soda) & enjoy the sun until we get the "all clear" for our cabin

for us it is not a problem

YMMV

Lyn

is it class distinction or a perk for paying extra $$$ :confused::confused:

money talks! It is not class distinction but money distinction. If one feels shunned on cunard because queen and princess grill is off limits then pay the grill price.

money talks! It is not class distinction but money distinction. If one feels shunned on cunard because queen and princess grill is off limits then pay the grill price.

Yet, there is a very distinct and a huge difference in this regard in Cunard vs Oceania, IMO

On Oceania you can buy the cheapest cabin and dine everywhere and receive the same service - i.e. you do not have to spend the most to eat the (presumably) best food and get the (presumably) best service - as you do on Cunard.

Yet, there is a very distinct and a huge difference in this regard in Cunard vs Oceania, IMO

On Oceania you can buy the cheapest cabin and dine everywhere and receive the same service - i.e. you do not have to spend the most to eat the (presumably) best food and get the (presumably) best service - as you do on Cunard.

I agree

We always book a C or B Cabin we always got served the same as anyone else ;)

Lyn

For me this thread is not about service but whether "off limits" makes one feel inferior or "class warfare" envy. Neither in my case; all that matters is CHARACTER; A simple hunan trait found in steerage as well as first class..:p

Mura,

Having been the guest of Uncle Sam on six troop ships in three years I can relate to RANK DISTINCTION. I'm sure other Oceania and Cunard EM vets have similar memories but one of my favorites was while standing in line on a sea deck before winding down five decks to the mess I stood at a porthole and looked at the officers dining on tablecloths and being served roast turkey by white-jacketed staff. The scene which awaited me was long chest-high counters where we STOOD while eating off metal mess trays. So was the distinction between officer and a GI (GOVERNMENT ISSUE) in 1951.

I was eighteen on my way to Korea. I went a no-nothing teenager and came back a man. Now that is an experince money can't buy. And not for sale:)

Mura,

Having been the guest of Uncle Sam on six troop ships in three years I can relate to RANK DISTINCTION. I'm sure other Oceania and Cunard EM vets have similar memories but one of my favorites was while standing in line on a sea deck before winding down five decks to the mess I stood at a porthole and looked at the officers dining on tablecloths and being served roast turkey by white-jacketed staff. The scene which awaited me was long chest-high counters where we STOOD while eating off metal mess trays. So was the distinction between officer and a GI (GOVERNMENT ISSUE) in 1951.

I was eighteen on my way to Korea. I went a no-nothing teenager and came back a man. Now that is an experince money can't buy. And not for sale:)

Thank you for your service :)

Mura,

Another "thank you for your service"!!!!!!

all I have to say is I would take cold room service breakfast any day to avoid bingo, art auctions, annoying photographers, endless announcements, and formal nights. Oh, but I don't have to because I decided to pay $100 more and booked an A4 instead of a B1. ;)

Truer words were never spoken

Truer words were never spoken

On Princess, as an example, you can only order full menu breakfast in a suite. AND...you get the art auctions, pesky "camera in you face" too. Same with other major mega lines such as RCI and NCL. The no hot breakfast on Princess never bothered u7s as we never use room service. Too many people with "character" to meet at the meal table.:)

Archived