Class Distinctions??

malony33

Did I ever indicate it was an "important" issue? Did I ever give any indication that such a stupid idea as suing had even crossed my mind????? Good grief. I said it was a step down in this aspect from other lines.

My point with the hearsay is that if I were to find something vastly different on board than what Oceania presents on their website, I would expect then live up to that claim. If I were to find things different from what posters on the CC claim Oceania offers..... :rolleyes:

I'm glad we know what to expect before we board. We certainly wouldn't have known from the Oceania web site.

I haven't yet sailed on Oceania, but recently booked a cruise for next summer. Before booking, I read the frequently asked questions section on Oceania's website. Boarding times, restaurant reservation info, etc is spelled out in detail. It's also included in my printed brochure. The information is available if you take the time to read:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=Shipboard%20Services

I am booked on 1st Oceania cruise next year. I, also, think Oceania should provide a hot room service breakfast at this price point and with all the stress on luxury and gourmet (insert any vague descriptive word here). But I try to think about the cruiseline like any purchase. Each cruiseline has its pluses and minuses (itinerary, cabin size, loyalty program benefits, value for money, . etc.) and I'll deal with not having a hot breakfast.

But I've found it hard to get beyond the pretty pictures for some specific answers to my questions (and I did read FAQs and brochure). I was surprised to find out elsewhere that there is a charge for culinary classes, spa deck/pool $25/day for my cabin class. Vague promises can get annoying too.

By the way, Celebrity Concierge class has an "enhanced" room service breakfast not available to other balcony, ov & insides. Also, aquaclass has a different restaurant and spa benefits including spa lounges. I can deal with that like on airlines and first class benefits you pay dearly for.

I think the most offended I was occured on RCCL where even as a cruise vet of several RCCL sailings there was a roped off area of the theater that I could not sit in because I was not "elite" and an area of the lounge up top previously open to all that was roped off for "elite". Also offensive is the signing out of towels at the pool with seapass card and signs that say clean up after yourself -- can't believe that one. I haven't cruised again with RCCL after that sailing.

I try to think of these comparisons on cruiselines like a house that has some things I like and some things I would change if I could. Looking forward to that beautiful Riviera and the gourmet offerings and my waistline will benefit from a smaller breakfast or a trip to the Terrace or MDR.

Where is says:

Q: Do you have room service?

A: For your convenience, complimentary room service is available 24 hours a day from our extensive room service menu.

The statement is true just not very detailed where it leaves out the distinction between hot and cold.

I haven't yet sailed on Oceania, but recently booked a cruise for next summer. Before booking, I read the frequently asked questions section on Oceania's website. Boarding times, restaurant reservation info, etc is spelled out in detail. It's also included in my printed brochure. The information is available if you take the time to read:

I was surprised to find out elsewhere that there is a charge for culinary classes, spa deck/pool $25/day for my cabin class.

I guess they had to put a fee on the culinary classes as there is limited space & cooking stations

If not everyone would be crowed in there

It is a hands on experience not like other ships where you watch from the sidelines & do not get to eat your creation;)

Do not forget they also charge for Wine pairing meals in La Reserve

you will enjoy the experience more without the comparison to other lines ;)

LHT28,

Yes, I don't expect every cruiseline to have the same amenities or charges for everything. I try to accept what is -- but I would like more specific information in the brochures.

I do thank the CCers for their info. I have found inaccurate info given by cruiselines, travel agents, etc. - my experience is that CCers are more accurate.

Linda

I hadn't realized how popular breakfast room service is onboard, perhaps that is why Oceania has had to limit hot breakfasts to PH and above. Personally, we usually ask for a standing order of a pot of coffee each morning just to get started in the morning and while we get showered and dressed but prefer to go to the buffet for breakfast.

Agree, we like to see what is at the buffet before ordering. A pot of coffee and some croissants in the room followed by breakfast in the Terrace always starts our morning. If the weather permits we especially love sitting outside for breakfast.

We've had over 10 cruises with O and have only gotten room service brkfst once because we were on a b2b and then were leaving the ship to be a tourist. After we tried it the 1st time, we returned to the Terrace.

I truly don't understand why anyone would want brkfst in their room when they could go to the Terrace and dine outside, especially in the Med. I have doting staff pouring coffee for me as soon as it is half emptied (my husband is not nearly that observant), I can go back for 2nds if I want, or to try a little something that I didn't have the 1st time. All of this while watching us come into Rhodes or Santorini or Sorrento. While we always have lovely rooms none has the view from the Terrace, nor the service. I know.... to each their own.

Laraine,

We ate so many meals on the Terrace (we usually have dinner out there as well since the GDR can be slow and noisy) that by Day 3 the wait staff knew our names and as soon as we walked in the door one or two would head out back and secure our table for us....awesome!!! Now imagine doing b2b and we became part of the family!! What a wonderful staff! c

I dont really care if people in fancier cabins have butlers, etc. They're paying for it. But some things do seem to be amenities that should be available to all cabin categories. A few years ago, in-room refrigerators were only available in upscale cabins. Now they are available to everyone.

I think it's time for O to add hot breakfasts to the cabin amenities for all. They followed Azamara on refrigerators, hopefully they will "catch up" on hot breakfasts too.

The irony is that it is possible to order anything but breakfast items from the 24 hour room service menu. You can order a steak dinner, for example, at 7am. Maybe people in steerage should just start doing that for breakfast. :-)

Laraine,

We ate so many meals on the Terrace (we usually have dinner out there as well since the GDR can be slow and noisy) that by Day 3 the wait staff knew our names and as soon as we walked in the door one or two would head out back and secure our table for us....awesome!!! Now imagine doing b2b and we became part of the family!! What a wonderful staff! c

Our experience is identical -- we never ate in the GDR -- always on the Terrace -- and as soon as we arrived the wait staff knew to bring us our lattes in the morning and iced teas in the evening. We have a 16 day cruise coming up and expect nothing less.

It's great that it suits you, but as you pointed out that doesn't mean it suits everyone.

I found the distinction for breakfast unusual, neither us can eat continental breakfast but I didn't let it bother me.

I did, however, come to realize how nice it was to have a relaxing breakfast while getting ready for the day in the privacy of our PH cabin compared to fighting through groups of people at Terrace.

This was reaffirmed on our recent cruise on X where we could order hot breakfast via the interactive TV.

For that reason we decided not to do without hot breakfast going forward.

Some of us just prefer not to interact with humanity until we've had a couple cups of coffee - truth be told, it's best for all involved ;)

I truly don't understand ... I know.... to each their own.

One thing I failed to mention was that as the steward left the galley with our room service breakfast he/she would call our cabin. That was our wake up call. I put on the robe and answered the door. it was usually around 7:30 that he arrived, that way we could meet our tour at 8:30 on the dock. It was very civilized. We like to tour when we are in interesting ports. We pick port intensive cruises for the most part.

Here is my experience. We wanted a hot breakfast in our room - it is part of the cruise experience we love. I read the Oceania website. I read the frequently asked questions. I even asked the TA. She asked our New Zealand Oceania rep who said yes, hot breakfast in our room!

It was ONLY after reading this site that I went back and questioned it. There is nowhere that it is stated that I can find. If someone an find this on the website then please show me.

We upgraded because of this but I'm sure we will also enjoy some breakfasts on the Terrace deck too. We have a port intensive cruise and only one at sea day. This has nothing to do with class distinction for me - simply lack of information from Oceania.

OK I read all of that. Where is it stated that there is no cooked breakfast?

The 'no hot breakfast' came as a big surprise to me (we were originally booked in non-concierge veranda.)

Some of you apparently will think it strange from what I see posted above, but the slow, quiet, relaxing breakfasts on our balcony were one of the highlights of our Eastern Med cruise last year on Azamara. Santorini? Yep....we got to watch the docking and look up at the towns on the cliffs while eating. Since we usually skip lunch or snack lightly, we like a hot breakfast. (I'm not a big fan of grains for breakfast.) We had eggs any way we wanted them, including Benedict. Bacon. Fruit. The Diet Coke that is my source of morning caffeine.

It never occurred to me that a hot breakfast wasn't included in the 'extensive' Oceania room service menu. When I saw the hints of it in the forums, I went looking to resolve the question on the Oceania website. I couldn't find anything that indicated there was any difference in room service between categories other than being able to order from the specialty restaurants and get course-by-course serving in the suites. I asked my TA to check with Oceania, and she found out for me (and also expressed surprise that there was a difference in room service breakfasts.)

We did end up upgrading to PH3; primarily, for the larger room on a long (16 nights) cruise with 8 sea days. But the hot breakfast was the thing that tipped the balance. You may think it crazy, but those breakfasts on our balcony are wonderful 'us' time that we didn't want to lose.

As I mentioned above, this difference really does surprise me. The other thing that surprises me is that there is no complimentary house wine with dinner. Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely looking forward to our upcoming Oceania cruise. But, gee....these two things are definitely not on the "Oceania" side of a comparison with past cruises.

The problem with providing complementary wines with dinner is that everybody has to pay for it - it is not complementary, the cost is just amortized amongst all the passengers. As we are not drinkers, we prefer not to share in the cost. That is one of the reasons why we pick Oceania, instead of Regent.

The problem with providing complementary wines with dinner is that everybody has to pay for it - it is not complementary, the cost is just amortized amongst all the passengers. As we are not drinkers, we prefer not to share in the cost. That is one of the reasons why we pick Oceania, instead of Regent.

And I bet vegetarians aren't happy about paying for someone else's steak. ;)

A line gets decided upon - how much to 'include' in 'all-inclusive'. To me, wine with dinner should be a given. I understand that's not your point of view.

A line gets decided upon - how much to 'include' in 'all-inclusive'. To me, wine with dinner should be a given. I understand that's not your point of view.

I guess Oceania decided NOT to include some things ;) ..they are not marketing themselves as all-inclusive

I think you have to sort out what line has what you most want in a cruise & deal with the things they do not have if you choose to book them.

Every cruise line has different options in marketing their cruise they will not always be the same nor have everything everyone wants

You have to option of booking with the cruise line or not

Lyn

I guess Oceania decided NOT to include some things ;) ..they are not marketing themselves as all-inclusive

You are, of course, correct. I realized that afterwards. Let me substitute 'upscale'...would that work?

We do realize we have the decision whether or not to book. We went for the itinerary (Panama Canal is on hub's bucket list). We are also frankly curious to see how Oceania compares with Azamara (which we loved). I have certainly read all the raves about Oceania and am looking forward to what's coming.

But...I didn't think signing up for a cruise meant I couldn't complain about anything! :D

And I bet vegetarians aren't happy about paying for someone else's steak. ;)

I was waiting for that answer, although I figured somebody was going to use lobster or cavier. We can take it a step further if somebody says they never go to a show, so why should they subsidize the entertainment, and so on. The list is endless, but somehow, I think not subsidizing liquor is a good compromise.

There is a point that you are missing here folks. All of these things, alchohol, steak, entertainment etc are ALL stated clearly. You know what you are getting but NOWHERE does it state no cooked breakfast in your room.

That was just a given as far as I was concerned considering Oceania prides itself on its cuisine.

All I am saying is please Oceania - state this on your website and brochures!!!

Archived