Class Distinctions??

malony33

access to spa pool & spa deck (I did realize of course that spa treatments were not complementary) and "wait to board". Again, there are perks for suites that I did know are only for suites & above -- fine with that. But put it all in the brochure along with the pretty pictures.

What cruise lines have complementary spa treatments ? maybe I will try them

I believe they do have a notation in the brochure that somethings are for the upper cabin Cat look for ** beside the descriptions (then at the bottom of the page)

I do agree on the description online of the room service ..it is sort of subjective

For a B4

"Complimentary and Extensive 24-Hour Room Service"

open to interpretation

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/staterooms/veranda.aspx

They should remove the word extensive IMO

The only things I can think of that a Lower Cabin Cat will pay for that the suites get are

Access to the spa deck

but maybe others have some other things the suites get that the lower Cat do not

They pay for the other perks in the base price of the cruise some Suites are $10,000. + per person so getting a nice perk for that $$ is a good thing ;)

You can always ask to considered for an upsell if a suite become available & the price you are willing to pay for the suite

Enjoy

LHT28, I did not say any line had complementary spa services -- my point was that I do expect cruiselines to keep their promises even if vague.

I also consider myself very fortunate to be able to sail with Oceania -- and am happy with our choice of deluxe oceanview on that beautiful ship Riviera.

This really seems to be much ado about nothing.

The world is full of inequality; some have more than others; some pay more than others and get more; some are just lucky. It is that way in almost every aspect of life. Cruising is no different.

I am Marriott Platinum -- they reward me with an upgrade and free access to the executive lounge -- free breakfast and hors de'oeuvres, free internet and other goodies. I could pay LESS than you for the same room and I would get those extras and you would not unless you had the status.

Same is true on the airlines. I am going to be upgraded to first class on most tickets even if I paid less than you for the ticket -- because of my status.

This is the way of the world.

Nevertheless, I have never noticed any difference in treatment on O. No one wears a badge that says, "i'm in a suite; I'm special." I have stayed in a suite and an outside. When I meet people on board I have no idea what cabin they are in nor do I care. As for the "misleading" advertising, brochures and websites are notoriously general in their content -- they are enticements about the big picture to get the individual to delve further. This discussion seems to be another good reason to use a good TA, one knowledgeable about O, who can answer any questions and focus on the details of greatest importance to the individual cruiser.

I'm the OP that ignited this fire, so my apologies to anyone who got his/her panties in a bunch. Thanks to all who responded; it was interesting to read the many and varied points-of-view. Now, to be clearer as to my original intent when I wrote my piece:

1. We do not eat hot breakfast at home unless it's oatmeal. I like a hot breakfast on a cruise b/c it is prepared and served by someone else. Makes me feel "special". DH and I, like some of you, have health issues and mornings are difficult at times. Ergo, the coveted room service!

2. I do not feel I'm a peon or a lower-class individual if I do not occupy a PH. In fact, I feel blessed and most fortunate to be going on our Riviera cruise at all. I do clean up good, though.

(LOL)

3. Boarding later I can live with...just have to time our arrival b/c standing (or even sitting) around for any length of time has become a strain since our "medical events" have drained a little bit of the life out of us. Dragging the luggage around is what we used to do because we could.

We are well-educated, retired professionals who are taking what is to us a luxe cruise. I know we will love the food, service and ambiance. And if I desire an omelet, I'll enjoy having it at a table with some of you one fine morning! Don't have to pay several thousand $$$ more to eat it in my cabin.

Oh, and if I meet you on a cruise, I promise not to hold it against you for occupying the Owner's Suite...after all, you are every bit as classy and elegant as I am! :)

Can I just comment on a few things in this, and in your original post?

We have only taken 1 Oceania cruise, but have booked 3 more,

On our first cruise, Miamu to Barcelona, we were told we could begin boarding (for a suite) at 11AM, 2 hours before general boarding. When we got to the ship, they took all of our "checked" luggage (big suitcases) and offered to take our carry-on luggage....but DW has convinced me that the new rollaboards that go in all directions actually help support her while standing (she is correct). But we could have dropped off all of our luggage and not had any to carry.

When we went inside, and told them we were in suites, yes, we were able to go to a special queue, and we were then directed to the next available agent. Yes, that is a perk...same as we get at United and Marriott. However, there must have been 100 other people in the terminal checking in, and I guarantee you that not all of them were in suites.

It seems to me that if they can check you in early, they will.

As to breakfast, I remember on NCL that non suite guests could not get a hot room service breakfast...so oceania, I think, is not the only cruise line that has this rule. If I am wrong, someone can corrrect me.

Once on board, I don't think there is an "aura" that the suite people have...at least we didn't notice one...maybe the aura left the ship before we got on in Miami :)

Dining Room Reservations...yes, you are allowed 4 in advance...and yes, there is somewhat of a queue for that every day, I believe on 5...but the queue moves fast, you can sit down and wait until it's your turn....and...we noticed in every one of the specialty restaurants that there were always empty tables. Let's face it - it's not like you're paying for Polo or Red Ginger....so if you feel tired you cancel....and, at least on our cruise, you could always call down to the restaurant and see if they had an empty table. (Although...once we discovered the lobster and swordfish at the Terrace Grill....well....and let me say this: there is so much staff in the Terrage Grill, if you have mobility issues, you can ask somone to get you something and I bet they will do it.

Now, is it true that you get 4 reservations in advance and we got 8? Yes...We honestly didn't use them but again, I don't see this as part of an "us versus them"...it's just a reward for securing a higher cabin. Once in the restaurant, though, nobody - nobody - treated us any better than anyone else because we were suite guests...

I don't know if this helps...I am not trying to inflame, just adding my .02 as a very happs, satisfied Oceania customer.

gary

Back to my point (or my big gripe!!). I don't care a toss that some people get cooked breakfast and others don't. Just tell us when we read the room category!! While reading the description for a balcony room it says "extensive room service menu". OK, I would definitely assume that means cooked breakfast BECAUSE this is the same meal description for the suites.

Come of Oceania - just change your documents so that they are clearer for us travellers :)

So they change it so it reads, "Extensive room service menu -- for suite guests, even more extensive room service menu". Will that tell you any more?

No one has even mentioned that those in Penthouse or above suites can also order dinner from any or all of the restaurants on board (except La Reserve), mix or match, to be served in their suite course by course, by their butler? That's not available to concierge or below. That ought to really get the "class distinction" folks' dander up! If not, how is that any different than a "hot" breakfast? :rolleyes:

So they change it so it reads, "Extensive room service menu -- for suite guests, even more extensive room service menu". Will that tell you any more?

No one has even mentioned that those in Penthouse or above suites can also order dinner from any or all of the restaurants on board (except La Reserve), mix or match, to be served in their suite course by course, by their butler? That's not available to concierge or below. That ought to really get the "class distinction" folks' dander up! If not, how is that any different than a "hot" breakfast? :rolleyes:

You missed the point. I can find that out by reading the brochure! It clearly states that you can have room service from any restaurant in suites.

All I'm saying is for anything down from concierge put "continental breakfast available in room" - and for concierge up "put cooked and continental breakfast available in room".

Seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you do your research you are chastised for wanting O to provide accurate and complete information, if you don't do your research you're just dismissed.

This thread was 100% predicable.

You missed the point. I can find that out by reading the brochure! It clearly states that you can have room service from any restaurant in suites.

All I'm saying is for anything down from concierge put "continental breakfast available in room" - and for concierge up "put cooked and continental breakfast available in room".

Seems to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If you do your research you are chastised for wanting O to provide accurate and complete information, if you don't do your research you're just dismissed.

This thread was 100% predicable.

Just an observation, but does anyone know if a representative from Oceania reads these Forums??? I only ask because I recall Fred Olsen replying directly to certain questions in an open Forum.

Just an observation, but does anyone know if a representative from Oceania reads these Forums??? I only ask because I recall Fred Olsen replying directly to certain questions in an open Forum.

Fred Olsen is still alive? :eek:

I guess a sense of humour is subjective

Will try to contain mine :D

Would not want to offend anyone without one :rolleyes:

Lyn

Ah! The old ah hominem attack when the merits of the argument won't work.

Posts are read by dozens, if not hundreds of cruisers. None of us can guarantee that everyone will receive the posts we write the way we intended them to be received. You seem to think otherwise. So I'll repeat: We'll agree to disagree.

No' date=' but you do see lots of little Great Grand Freds posting over on the FOCL board & they do react & reply quite quickly :)[/quote']

The FO group as a whole is still run from Oslo by members of the Olsen family, although the cruise line & the retail cruise/travel side are run from head offices in Ipswich, UK.

I've been getting a great deal of info by reading the questions and answers on this board, and now I am questioning some of Oceania's policies and wondering if we are spending our $$$ unwisely.

For instance:

1. No hot breakfast b/c we're ONLY in a veranda? We have to pay thousands more p/p to get an omelette?

2. We cannot board the ship until 2 hours before it sails, but if we cough up a few more K's, we get lunch and a bit of time to explore?

3. Since we're paying "such a low fare", we only get into our favorite restaurant once?

Etc., etc., yada, yada...

Don't get me wrong and take me out to the woodshed, all you O lovers - I'm neither a princess nor a brat nor a chronic complainer. We cannot wait to board Riviera. Some of the details are a bit of a surprise, and not in a good way. Maybe it's all this election rhetoric about "class warfare" that is burned into my brain.

BTW, do I get a robe in my veranda cabin??? LOL

This will be our fifth Oceania cruise. We have never cruised on another line (came late to cruising in 2008) so I am in no position to compare. Our first cruise was on the Regatta in an inside G level cabin on the 8th deck. This is the deck with the PH cabins. The other cruises were on the lowest level verandahs (B4). So to you questions.

1. No hot breakfast b/c we're ONLY in a veranda? We have to pay thousands more p/p to get an omelette?

We don't eat in our cabin but I agree with you that I found it strange that you can't get a hot breakfast. However, if you want steak or a regular dinner for breakfast that isn't a problem since it comes from the 24 hour menu (lol). I also agree that there is no where online or in the brochure that states you can't have a hot breakfast for certain category levels. Since this appears to be an included amenity on many cruise ships for the lower cabin assignments then perhaps Oceania should make a distinction here and mention it. However, if want baby lamb chops for breakfast then you can order them in the GDR (yum). They don't mention that either (lol).

2. We cannot board the ship until 2 hours before it sails, but if we cough up a few more K's, we get lunch and a bit of time to explore?

Can only speak to our experiences but we boarded the ships between noon and 1 pm with no problem. The only time we had to wait to 2 pm was in Miami and everyone had to wait since boarding seemed to impacted by the port of Miami not Oceania. The higher levels had their own line in Miami. We were boarded so quickly on the other occassions I never noticed if the upper categories had their own line or not. We got on the ship and everyone goes to get something to eat, takes a snooze in the library or poolside or goes exploring until your cabin is called. The upper cabins are called first. The time we were in the "steerage" inside cabin we were called at the same time as the upper PH cabins since the cabin was on the 8th deck so it was a function of the deck not the category.

3. Since we're paying "such a low fare", we only get into our favorite restaurant once?

I may be wrong here but all cabins up to and including the PH category get one reservation at each of the specialty restaurants on the Riviera and Marina. Only the higher cabins seem to get more. You can wrangle additional reservations if they are available once you are on the ship.

BTW, do I get a robe in my veranda cabin??? LOL

You sure do. Actually you get two robes, slippers and a big oversized golf umbrella (lol).

I never noticed that some passengers have different color card wallets. This is news to me. One of the nice aspects of Oceania is that the people on board (for the most part) will never allude to what cabin they are in. It is not a class conscious cruise line and I hope it remains that way with the newer builds. The smaller R ships were certainly that way.

I hope you enjoy your voyage and have a great time.

As heard on the phone of a standard veranda cabin calling room service at 7 am:

"Good morning. Hope you're well today. I would like to order two coffees and two steak dinners. I really love my steaks with a poached egg on top and I would like some toast to sop up the gravy. I really don't like your fries so can I have some home fries to go with that?

Great. Oh, can you hold on a minute ... what was that hon? Right.

You know, let's just forget the steak and go with the potatoes, eggs and toast. "

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Dr. Cocktail,

You made me laugh!!! Reminds of the scene in the Jack Nicholson movie when he was trying to order breakfast, but was admonished by the waitress (Karen Black?) for making a substitution. The end result was Jack telling the waitress to stick something somewhere! You certainly said it more eloquently than Jack Nicholson!

Thanks for the laugh!

Dr. Cocktail,

You made me laugh!!! Reminds of the scene in the Jack Nicholson movie when he was trying to order breakfast, but was admonished by the waitress (Karen Black?) for making a substitution. The end result was Jack telling the waitress to stick something somewhere! You certainly said it more eloquently than Jack Nicholson!

Thanks for the laugh!

Strange what sticks in memory sometimes. That movie is exactly what came to mind for me too! It was released 40+ years ago. This would be like my folks citing a Mary Pickford movie.

Jack Nicholson's character was unable to substitute toast so he ordered a chicken sandwich - toasted; hold the chicken.

Now GrannieK's plan might get an egg in the morning, I'd like to figure out how to get O's fabulous chocolate croissants in the afternoon

CruzMaven,

I was pretty sure that was the title and now I recall it refers to his learning to play the piano. What great flick! Must revisit it soon.

Benita,

Sorry it was before your time - the 70's were great - what I remember of them!

YoHoHo,

Chicken salad on toast it is!

Just joining this thread, as I was without internet service for 3 days (ugh).

When I first sailed Oceania and wondered about the lack of refigerators below category A, when less expensive cruise lines had them in every category, I realized that for those less expensive cruise lines, the refigerators (actually mini-bars) are major revenue producers for them. Of course, they give one to everyone, because the sales of the contents more than pays for the fridge!

Oceania, however, never depended on this type of revenue. For example, unlike less expensive lines (and some even more expensive), the specialty restaurants on O have always been no charge (is Azamara still charging some classes of cabins to dine in the specialty restaurants?).

Instead, Oceania felt (and still feels) it is more important to provide some perks as fair justification for the extra cost of a category A (concierge) cabin versus the identically sized category B vernad cabins. The fridge was one of those distinctions, as was (in the early days) a DVD player and a hand-held hair dryer. When they included those items in every cabin, they had to come up with some other distinctions. Prior to that, all cabins below the suite category shared the Continental breakfast by room service. The Suite Breakfast menu was added to concierge, as was a laptop computer (not available in the lower categories), free access to the spa deck on Marina and Riviera, etc. The Concierge cabins continue to enjoy cashmere lap robes, a complimentary bottle of champagne (actually sparkling wine), two complimentary pressings, an Oceania tote bag and other "Class Distinctions" :rolleyes:.

One thing I can almost definitely predict -- all those on this threade who fear calss distinctions have probably never sailed with Oceania, and I would imagine that most of them will not feel that way after they complete their Oceania voyage. As has been said several times before, if something like having an omelette and some bacon (the hot tiems, for the most part) for room service breakfast is a big distinction (actual word used by one of the previous posters), then there are lots of other choices in cruise lines.

When Celebrity tried to cheat me on the use of my on board credit, and I had to nearly miss my flight home to get it straightened out, that was a big deal to me, and I'll never sail Celebnrity again because of it. But, a Contiinenatal room service breakfast (all that's complimentary at many expensive hotels) instead of an egg? That hardly is going to shake MY world...

By the way, Azamara was created as an exact copy of Oceania, and when they couldn't do that very well, they fell back on offering more incentives at a lower fare, the only way they could compete. It's important to note that any timing on changes is coincidental; Oceania has NEVER followed Azamara's lead on anything. I can still remember FRD's comment when they cahnged there name to Azamara Club and added some stuff; he said, "Good for them! At least they won't be trying to copy us, any longer!"

Any cruise line that went from vurtually nothing to being more than a Billion Dollar company in about 4 years (2003-2007) hardly has to follow anyone!

I believe O copied Azamara in at least two things:

- free shuttles to city centre

- unlimited bottled water and soft drinks

- more investment in the shows

We've been on both and prefer O overall.

It seems OP's point is really for O to be more transparent in their advertising than anything about a class system.

The whole pay more get more is not really true either, because not everyone pays the exact same price for the same cabin category, when you factor in OBCs and other perks and possible cheap or free upgrades.

Yes, a person can pay thousands more for the owner`s suite than someone in a balcony, but that person is also in a suite that can be ten times the size, and let`s be honest, on a cruise most of the fare is for the size of the stateroom and the availability of a balcony.

There comes a point when the perks are associated with the expensive cabins are so divergent that it is a better overall value to sail the most expensive unit or not at all (well, book on another line where the cost of an O inside will get VIP suite treatment on another mainstream line, or just jump to a true luxury line - O advertises itself as upper premium - at an incremental cost).

Archived