Class Distinctions??

malony33

But...I didn't think signing up for a cruise meant I couldn't complain about anything! :D

You can complain all you want ;)

Will it change the outcome ...probably not

enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lets keep this in perspective please. For my next cruise, ten days on the Riviera, passengers in the Suites will be paying from two through ten thousand dollars more than those booked in the minimum Veranda category.

That is an awful lot of scrambled eggs! :eek:

Not if you snag a higher level after final payment. Trust me, call your TA within the window. It's free to find out.

........I realize it is just my opinion, but it seems to me that OCL has gone too far in the direction of Cunard and its class system (we've sailed on that line and won't go back for that reason). .

I have to disagree, as a regular traveller with Cunard I have never observed a 'class' system.

It is a case of getting what you pay for, if you pay 3 or 4 times the fare of an inside cabin then you get a larger cabin and to eat in a 'fine dining' restaurant. It is hardly a class system, everywhere in life there are the same choices.

Take a look at NCL, RCI and Celebrity, they all operate a similar system for people who book the suite accomodation.

Do you refuse to fly because your airline has, first, club and economy seats?

Some of us remember before included water and the room refrigerators.

Ah, the refrigerators- brings me down memory lane. On my first Oceania cruise on the Insignia, I wrote on my midweek comment card that this was the first time I was on a better cruise line, having all my previous experiences with HAL, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean, but I was shocked that the lesser lines thought a refrigerator was standard gear in all cabins and Oceania considered it a luxury upgrade. I mentioned that passengers could buy a refrigerator and bring it onboard and throw it out at the end of the cruise and still save money over upgrading to a cabin with one. (We did not care about the other concierge perks). They do read those cards, because a day later, one of the managers called my cabin and offered to bring one up for the remainder of the cruise. The problem with those cabins is they are so small there is no place to put it, unless it was built in or you gave up your closet. I thought it was a very sweet offering (no pun intended). Anyway, I digress- don't mean to hijack the thread. However, we have had a similar thread about having a lounge chair on a balcony a couple of weeks ago. I still don't know if we need to bring our own for our Riviera balcony on a cruise to the Caribbean.

As I mentioned above, this difference really does surprise me. The other thing that surprises me is that there is no complimentary house wine with dinner. Don't get me wrong - I am absolutely looking forward to our upcoming Oceania cruise. But, gee....these two things are definitely not on the "Oceania" side of a comparison with past cruises.

Please note that Oceania now offers unlimited wine and beer at lunch and dinner for $29.95 per person and that includes the 18% gratuity. This way you can have as much wine as you would like at those 2 meals and it doesn't have to be house wine, it is any wine that they sell by the glass. I believe that this beverage package was designed for people like you who would like to see "complimentary house wine" included but at the same time does not have those who prefer not to drink picking up the tab for those that do.

Please note that Oceania now offers unlimited wine and beer at lunch and dinner for $29.95 per person and that includes the 18% gratuity. This way you can have as much wine as you would like at those 2 meals and it doesn't have to be house wine, it is any wine that they sell by the glass. I believe that this beverage package was designed for people like you who would like to see "complimentary house wine" included but at the same time does not have those who prefer not to drink picking up the tab for those that do.

But that is $60 more per day for the two of us:eek: Oceania is already priced quite a bit more than Azamara which has wine included.:confused:

But that is $60 more per day for the two of us:eek: Oceania is already priced quite a bit more than Azamara which has wine included.:confused:

Then that should make your cruise line choice easier then:rolleyes:

While I have had days (well, evening/nights :rolleyes:) when I've had $60 worth of booze, it's not something I can see doing night after night. Even $30 of wine at dinner every night is stretching it. We've gotten used to ordering by the bottle, and it lasts a couple of days or more, depending on whether we're both draining the same bottle.

Uh....I *can* do that on Oceania (have them save my bottle until the next night's dinner), can't I?

Make that $50....the prestige is $50/passenger.

Yes, the Prestige or Premium package is $50 per passenger, but that includes spirits and anytime day or night on the cruise, not just meals.

Thanks for that info, LHT28!

(I realized I had assumed "of course you can" about the hot breakfast in any cabin!)

Not sure there is any cruise line that would force you to drink the whole bottle at your meal ;)

Thinking these threads should be labeled "#firstworldproblems"...:p

Amen to that sentiment.

Our idea of a good breakfast, especially on a port day, is a cup of cafe Americano, a glass of juice (to wash down morning pills) and a couple of pastries at Baristas or on the Terrace, with maybe little fresh fruit (mango!). I guess the hot breakfast thingy is wasted on us. Saves more tummy room for port-side cafe lunches or a burger and fries from Waves.

We were in a B-1 and boarded early with no problem.

If what follows has already been stated apologies for the duplication. However, I read the thread and only saw the word "board" used without clarification that boarding was, in fact, a two step process: getting on the ship and getting into one's cabin.

Anyone sailing in any class cabin will be allowed to board the ship upon arrival -- assuming a reasonable arrival time. However, you'll have to keep your luggage with you until your cabin category is announced as cleared for access. Not surprisingly, the higher priced suites get cleaned and prepped first. That's not class distinction. That's reality. Those folks have paid more money. The world is full of such examples. There's nothing unique or divisive about Oceania's policies.

As for the restaurant reservation situation, the difference is how far in advance cruisers can make reservations. The total number of advance reservations is the same for all cruisers.

Anyone sailing in any class cabin will be allowed to board the ship upon arrival -- assuming a reasonable arrival time.

Not quite so!!

We have been allowed onboard depending on the port anywhere from 1pm to 3 pm

In a US port you maybe able to board a bit early for the peon CAT cabins but not as early as the top suites YMMV

It has not been our experience

In Amsterdam there was no way anyone in the lower CAT was boarding before 3pm

We just do not show up early for boarding anymore ..I would rather enjoy the hotel or sightseeing than sitting on hard chair in the port building

Lyn

We have been allowed onboard depending on the port anywhere from 1pm to 3 pm

That's my definition of reasonable arrival time, and I should have been more specific.

In a US port you maybe able to board a bit early for the peon CAT cabins but not as early as the top suites YMMV

'peon category'? Did you intend your post to be humorous or condescending or some other intention completely?

I agree with the OP on this subject. There is an "class system" air about O. I have no problem with more expensive cabins having a special line to access speedier boarding. We are Elite members of Celebrity and they have special lines for their members, but first time cruisers in inside cabins can still board at the same time. Why does O make these people feel like second class? Nobody minds waiting in line for someone who paid $$ more, but to wait hours more is pointless. Someone said in their post we should question our TA's prior to booking about this. I called my TA after learning about this rule. He called O and reported back to me that this is a fairly new policy and he didn't know about it.

No cruise line should make a passanger feel like steerage on a cruise. We a pay hard earned cash to relax and enjoy, some more than others. Why add stress to a cruise? We are only trying to learn if O is for us.

Archived