Class Distinctions??

malony33

I have sailed on many lines with my first O trip coming up. If I remember right all lines had special boarding for higher class cabins and higher return club status. On X there is a better room service menu for CC and above. At the end of the day we are all on the same ship going to the same place. My wife feels it better to save on the cabin so she can bring home lots of jewely. Guess it's just different stroke for different people.

There have been times, having taken O's air, that we arrive at the airport and there has been a rep waiting for us and he/she tells us that our rooms aren't ready yet. We are all gathered up from the various gates and are taken on a sight seeing ride around town. A call is then made to check status, we are taken to port and sometimes we've had to wait a whole 15 minutes (and we have not been in a suite.) We board and are told that the Terrace is open. Other people go to the library and take a little nap or to read a book. Announcements are then made about cabins status and most of the time those announcements are made early.

We have also done many b2b so we've sometimes been on board when people are leaving and arriving. If you have not witnessed what those amazing young people can do in a short period of time you really shouldn't be discussing why you can't come into your cabin at 1:00.

Those rooms are cleaned from ceiling to floor, inside all closets and drawers, the balconies & windows, all linens restocked, and the bathrooms are practically sterilized! Bottles and dishes are taken, & fridges restocked. And that is just the regular cabins. Think what more must be done at the higher level cabins.

There is very little talking among the crew and staff and when you look into those young faces you see exhaustion. Then they come smiling to your cabin after you are in there and talk to you about what you like and want. I'm amazed that one can get in there THAT DAY!!! Those kids are wonderful and work very hard. Not getting in when you want shouldn't be a deal killer.

Someone said in their post we should question our TA's prior to booking about this. I called my TA after learning about this rule. He called O and reported back to me that this is a fairly new policy and he didn't know about it.

You may want to look into getting a new Travel Agent, because the one that you have now obviously makes up the answers up as he goes along.

The tiered boarding schedule is as old as Oceania Cruise Lines. The original rational was that the higher category cabins were guaranteed "Priority Specialty Restaurant Reservations", and because all reservations were made on-board, letting those folks onto the ship first, made sense.

Now that Restaurant Reservations may be made both online and on the telephone in advance of the cruise, the early boarding policies are not as well enforced.

'peon category'? Did you intend your post to be humorous or condescending or some other intention completely?

Are you serious...it is a joke

Some people refer to it as steerage ... not everyone wants a suite even if they can afford one

I happen to like the C Cat or the B balcony cabins others may prefer a suite that is their personal choice

Life is short enjoy it ;)

Lyn

No cruise line should make a passanger feel like steerage on a cruise. We a pay hard earned cash to relax and enjoy, some more than others. Why add stress to a cruise? We are only trying to learn if O is for us.

If you feel like you are steerage it could be a personal perception ;)

We have never been treated any differently once onboard the ship

It is not new well it was in effect since 2004 when we started cruising with O

They will have in your documents what time you should arrive for boarding

You can arrive earlier & you MAY get onboard before the designated time but you may have to line -up or sit in the cold terminal building (SFO) on uncomfortable chairs

Your choice

Maybe we should take this a step further...When booking a cruise everyone gets on point per cruise in the Oceania Club. Then people booking a high end suite gets the same point, shouldn't they get more points? After all you want to be fair, because booking a lower cabin gives you the same same benefit for paying a lower price. You can't have it all.

No cruise line should make a passanger feel like steerage on a cruise. We a pay hard earned cash to relax and enjoy, some more than others. Why add stress to a cruise? We are only trying to learn if O is for us.

O is not trying to make anyone feel like they are steerage, I just seems fair to me that those who have paid sometimes 5 times what others have paid deserve something for their cash! That means myself and my wife will pay the same as 10 other guests in inside accomodation.

Besides getting priority boarding you also get priority when tendering, no queing up for cards to board with. We are lucky we travel in vista or owners and our butler comes in every morning and sets up the table and serves breakfast, if we are in port and its a nice day he setsit up outside in the sunshine. we can even the recline in our outside jaquzzi ( yes we have one inside as well) and watch the news on the TV above the jaquzzi.

Anyone can do that but you have to pay, life is a bit like that we can all have most things if we pay for it!

I don't mind paying the going rate for a service or amenity but when the distinctions are too many so as to feel set apart from others or lacking in basics (yes, a matter of opinion if a hot breakfast is a basic), then I book another line.

The only problem I see (so far, haven't sailed yet) is that Oceania does NOT make it very clear that some amenities like the hot breakfast are not provided in certain cabin categories and also does NOT indicate that some amenities are provided at EXTRA cost. This I only found out on CC and also by making calls to Oceania's number and asking specific questions. It didn't occur to me b4 booking that some things described in the brochure are only extra charge amenities. Charging extra isn't the problem -- not being upfront about it isn't nice.

Are you serious...it is a joke

I am seriously pointing out that irony, sarcasm, and other forms of supposed humor do not communicate well on internet posts. The OP is already convinced that Oceania treats people booking veranda cabins and lower as second-class citizens. It is entirely likely that the OP would read your words as confirmation of his/her point of view. Someone else who knows you from shared cruises or other person interaction would confidently treat your word choice as a joke.

If you think the intent of your word choice is universally understood, we will simply agree to disagree.

also does NOT indicate that some amenities are provided at EXTRA cost. This I only found out on CC and also by making calls to Oceania's number and asking specific questions. It didn't occur to me b4 booking that some things described in the brochure are only extra charge amenities. Charging extra isn't the problem -- not being upfront about it isn't nice.

Can you elaborate what the extra amenities are that cost if you are in a B4 that others get (beside not getting the hot breakfast)

I am confused by the statement

Lyn

I am seriously pointing out that irony, sarcasm, and other forms of supposed humor do not communicate well on internet posts.

If you think the intent of your word choice is universally understood, we will simply agree to disagree.

I guess a sense of humour is subjective

Will try to contain mine :D

Would not want to offend anyone without one :rolleyes:

Lyn

Maybe we should take this a step further...When booking a cruise everyone gets on point per cruise in the Oceania Club. Then people booking a high end suite gets the same point, shouldn't they get more points? After all you want to be fair, because booking a lower cabin gives you the same same benefit for paying a lower price. You can't have it all.

Wow, what a huge difference in loyalty benefits there are between Oceania and Azamara/Celebrity and other lines:

Oceania Club: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/oceaniaclublogin.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2foceaniaclub%2fdefault.aspx

Azamara Le Club Voyage

http://browse.azamaraclubcruises.com/captainsclub/heroSingleTxtSub.do?pagename=membership_benefits

Just joining this thread, as I was without internet service for 3 days (ugh).

When I first sailed Oceania and wondered about the lack of refigerators below category A, when less expensive cruise lines had them in every category, I realized that for those less expensive cruise lines, the refigerators (actually mini-bars) are major revenue producers for them. Of course, they give one to everyone, because the sales of the contents more than pays for the fridge!

Oceania, however, never depended on this type of revenue. For example, unlike less expensive lines (and some even more expensive), the specialty restaurants on O have always been no charge (is Azamara still charging some classes of cabins to dine in the specialty restaurants?).

Instead, Oceania felt (and still feels) it is more important to provide some perks as fair justification for the extra cost of a category A (concierge) cabin versus the identically sized category B vernad cabins. The fridge was one of those distinctions, as was (in the early days) a DVD player and a hand-held hair dryer. When they included those items in every cabin, they had to come up with some other distinctions. Prior to that, all cabins below the suite category shared the Continental breakfast by room service. The Suite Breakfast menu was added to concierge, as was a laptop computer (not available in the lower categories), free access to the spa deck on Marina and Riviera, etc. The Concierge cabins continue to enjoy cashmere lap robes, a complimentary bottle of champagne (actually sparkling wine), two complimentary pressings, an Oceania tote bag and other "Class Distinctions" :rolleyes:.

One thing I can almost definitely predict -- all those on this threade who fear calss distinctions have probably never sailed with Oceania, and I would imagine that most of them will not feel that way after they complete their Oceania voyage. As has been said several times before, if something like having an omelette and some bacon (the hot tiems, for the most part) for room service breakfast is a big distinction (actual word used by one of the previous posters), then there are lots of other choices in cruise lines.

When Celebrity tried to cheat me on the use of my on board credit, and I had to nearly miss my flight home to get it straightened out, that was a big deal to me, and I'll never sail Celebnrity again because of it. But, a Contiinenatal room service breakfast (all that's complimentary at many expensive hotels) instead of an egg? That hardly is going to shake MY world...

By the way, Azamara was created as an exact copy of Oceania, and when they couldn't do that very well, they fell back on offering more incentives at a lower fare, the only way they could compete. It's important to note that any timing on changes is coincidental; Oceania has NEVER followed Azamara's lead on anything. I can still remember FRD's comment when they cahnged there name to Azamara Club and added some stuff; he said, "Good for them! At least they won't be trying to copy us, any longer!"

Any cruise line that went from vurtually nothing to being more than a Billion Dollar company in about 4 years (2003-2007) hardly has to follow anyone!

While Oceania has to throw some benefits to those paying more, in reality you will never notice it. No one will force you to wear a button stating "STEERAGE"

Then why are the room cards --

Gold for PH

Silver for Concierge

Same for the wallets??

I'm the OP that ignited this fire, so my apologies to anyone who got his/her panties in a bunch. Thanks to all who responded; it was interesting to read the many and varied points-of-view. Now, to be clearer as to my original intent when I wrote my piece:

1. We do not eat hot breakfast at home unless it's oatmeal. I like a hot breakfast on a cruise b/c it is prepared and served by someone else. Makes me feel "special". DH and I, like some of you, have health issues and mornings are difficult at times. Ergo, the coveted room service!

2. I do not feel I'm a peon or a lower-class individual if I do not occupy a PH. In fact, I feel blessed and most fortunate to be going on our Riviera cruise at all. I do clean up good, though.

(LOL)

3. Boarding later I can live with...just have to time our arrival b/c standing (or even sitting) around for any length of time has become a strain since our "medical events" have drained a little bit of the life out of us. Dragging the luggage around is what we used to do because we could.

We are well-educated, retired professionals who are taking what is to us a luxe cruise. I know we will love the food, service and ambiance. And if I desire an omelet, I'll enjoy having it at a table with some of you one fine morning! Don't have to pay several thousand $$$ more to eat it in my cabin.

Oh, and if I meet you on a cruise, I promise not to hold it against you for occupying the Owner's Suite...after all, you are every bit as classy and elegant as I am! :)

I certainly have no problem waiting for my cabin to be ready. I agree that suites should be ready as soon as possible, but if the agents on land are not busy, why can't passangers who are not in suites board the ship prior to their alloted time? It just seems logical to me, but judging from some of the replies on this post, I guess not. Happy cruising to all.

I'm the OP that ignited this fire, so my apologies to anyone who got his/her panties in a bunch. Thanks to all who responded; it was interesting to read the many and varied points-of-view. Now, to be clearer as to my original intent when I wrote my piece:

1. We do not eat hot breakfast at home unless it's oatmeal. I like a hot breakfast on a cruise b/c it is prepared and served by someone else. Makes me feel "special". DH and I, like some of you, have health issues and mornings are difficult at times. Ergo, the coveted room service!

2. I do not feel I'm a peon or a lower-class individual if I do not occupy a PH. In fact, I feel blessed and most fortunate to be going on our Riviera cruise at all. I do clean up good, though.

(LOL)

3. Boarding later I can live with...just have to time our arrival b/c standing (or even sitting) around for any length of time has become a strain since our "medical events" have drained a little bit of the life out of us. Dragging the luggage around is what we used to do because we could.

We are well-educated, retired professionals who are taking what is to us a luxe cruise. I know we will love the food, service and ambiance. And if I desire an omelet, I'll enjoy having it at a table with some of you one fine morning! Don't have to pay several thousand $$$ more to eat it in my cabin.

Oh, and if I meet you on a cruise, I promise not to hold it against you for occupying the Owner's Suite...after all, you are every bit as classy and elegant as I am! :)

Malony 33,

Sure hope were on the same cruise, you sound like my kind of people.

Gold for PH

Silver for Concierge

Same for the wallets??

If everyone had the same colour of card what would we complain about :D

(oops sorry my humour is showing) :rolleyes:

Unless I am paying for something with my S & S card or checking in or out of the ship no one sees the card

So far no one has ask to see my card before serving me or offering a smile & good morning greeting

Lyn

And if I desire an omelet, I'll enjoy having it at a table with some of you one fine morning! Don't have to pay several thousand $$$ more to eat it in my cabin.

The only luggage we carry around is a small carry-on with our valuables & meds everything else go to the porter

Try the GDR for breakfast (less hassle) & if you are in a hurry just mention to the waiter you are going ashore & need a quick breakfast

Enjoy the cruise

In answer to LHT28, the amenities that I didn't realize are extra cost are hot breakfast (I agree, no big deal but it was nice b4 an early excursion and didn't expect to have to upgrade to a suite to get it), access to spa pool & spa deck (I did realize of course that spa treatments were not complementary) and "wait to board". Again, there are perks for suites that I did know are only for suites & above -- fine with that. But put it all in the brochure along with the pretty pictures.

Gold for PH

Silver for Concierge Same for the wallets??

Huh?

:rolleyes:;) We didn't realize how important it was to save our 'wallets' from a cruise earlier this year. Now we will be sure to do so, so in the future if we are in an inside, lower deck cabin, we'll be able to fool some into thinking we are of a higher class than we are by flashing a colored wallet.

On that journey, the only class distinctions we observed were some of manners and a very few dressing like slobs. Those people definitely needed to make a stop at a 'charm school' before boarding.

Archived