Little French Key?

Messunderstood

Just thought I would check back again as others have been after going to LFK and using this thread for research.

-The walk out of Mahogany Bay to the taxis is kind of tricky, but since I had done my research, I knew to walk past the MB taxis and over the knoll to the "outsiders". My group was like, "Man, where the heck are you taking us?!?" "You'll thank me later!"

- LFK was the best beach place we went to during our cruise, hands down. (We went to Chankanaab in Cozumel, Alamaplena in Costa Maya, no beach day in Belize) Was not crowded as others had mentioned, and there was 2 carnival ships in port that day as well (Glory and Magic). Saw no construction, as had been mentioned. LFK is an absolutely, breath-takingly gorgeous place. We didn't have to wait for food, drinks, paddle-boards, or kayaks. We used all of this and never had a line. The jumping platform was fun also. The animals were fun to watch and interact with for a bit.

Cons:

-Snorkeling is not so good unless you get out of the shallow part, which we weren't allowed to go to bc you aren't allowed to walk on it and that is the only way out that I knew of, bc I didn't get the snorkeling package. Snorkeling in the immediate area around LFK is not so good. Saw a few fish, nothing amazing. Didn't really care to snorkel much anyway as my group of 6 spent most of our time hanging out with each other, and there is only one other person in my group that is very interested in snorkeling.

- The food was decent, but not great. Beef was like chewing beef jerky. The chicken and rice and beans were good and I don't really care for seafood so I cant tell you much about the shrimp and lob. Oh yea and the chip and pico were just okay. My 2 free drinks, I just got a couple brews, which were fine.

Cons:

-Snorkeling is not so good unless you get out of the shallow part, which we weren't allowed to go to bc you aren't allowed to walk on it and that is the only way out that I knew of, bc I didn't get the snorkeling package.

Good to hear you had a good time and it wasn't crowded even with 2 Carnival ships there.

I just wanted to add for you (and others reading) that in order to get over to the reef (since you can't go over the shallow part) is to get in the canoe and just circle around the island (you go out the way the boat brings you in and around the island). :)

I just wanted to add for you (and others reading) that in order to get over to the reef (since you can't go over the shallow part) is to get in the canoe and just circle around the island (you go out the way the boat brings you in and around the island). :)

I thought about that but the water was rough. How do you keep up with the kayak while you're off of it?

I thought about that but the water was rough. How do you keep up with the kayak while you're off of it?

Honestly I'm not sure. When this place first opened up to the cruising public, there was talk that they had a platform out there that you would tie your canoe to. I had seen pictures of it and when we were there, it looked like there might be one, but I didn't go out there. So I guess I can't confirm that it's still there. I have researched some pictures and there looks to be one, but still not sure.

If you look in this picture, you can see something out there.

735609_455534514554216_484263642_o-L.jpg

I just wish someone that has went out there snorkeling could confirm whether or not there is actually something there. :confused:

Following this thread, I have LFK booked for my upcoming cruise. This is the confirmation email I received.

We have your reservation confirmed for 2 adults at @$88 pp. for August 21 , 2014 which includes round trip transportation .

We make sure you all will be back on ship before time..

Thank you for choosing Little French Key!!

Our Drivers, Dave or Larry will be waiting for you at the port since before your ship arrives, please don't worry about your arrival or departure time, we will make sure you get picked up as early as possible and returned to the port on time to maximize your stay with us.... Dave or Larry will pick you up as soon as you can disembark. Due to port rules you need to walk a short distance to outside of the port´s gate to meet with our driver. Please do not be lured by others and stay the course to outside of the gate.

Dave or Larry will be wearing a polo shirt with our Logos, ¨Little French Key¨ on the back, and ¨Frenchy´s 44¨on the front, they will be holding up a sign with "Little French Key" written. Dave or Larry will be the first person to your right as you exit the gate and again please don't be lured by anyone inside the ports and or in the booths.

You can make the payment once you get to our facilities with US Cash or any major credit card (15% charge)....no deposit is required.

Looking forward to meeting you in person. Our mission is your enjoyment.

Kind Regards,

Larissa Lahijani

Little French Key

Roatan, Bay Islands

I will be sure to give a review after I return!

There are prices on the package buttons. There is Fun Day Package which gets you zipline or snorkeling with food, etc for $148.00. I will be excited to hear your review. We have done Victor Bodden and loved it. This would give ma a new zipline! :D

I was almost thinking of booking LFK thru Carnival. But then I see that their excursion time isn't very long at the island. Has anyone gone thru Carnival and stayed longer or do you have to leave when everyone does. I'd almost like to book outside of the ship to allow ourselves more time...we aren't scheduled to leave Roatan until 6 although we'd probably leave LFK ourselves by 4:30-5. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

I was almost thinking of booking LFK thru Carnival. But then I see that their excursion time isn't very long at the island. Has anyone gone thru Carnival and stayed longer or do you have to leave when everyone does. I'd almost like to book outside of the ship to allow ourselves more time...we aren't scheduled to leave Roatan until 6 although we'd probably leave LFK ourselves by 4:30-5. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

I would imagine that whatever time Carnival has for your leaving time, that would be when you have to go since you do have to ride the ferry back over from LFK to Frenchys then wait for your cab (if it's not there) to take you back to the port. It's very easy to do on your own and have more time. :)

I'm not sure I would wait to leave LFK until 5pm if your ship is leaving at 6pm. That's cutting it pretty close because I'm sure all aboard time would be 5:30pm at least.

• 1 month later...

I've been reading all the posts here and I see the majority that have gone to LFK were from Carnival cruise. We are on Royal Caribbean and will be docked at Coxen Hole (?). Does anyone know what's the distance and hopefully they pick up at this port as well. We have filled out our request for a reservation today and waiting to hear back.

Thanks

I've been reading all the posts here and I see the majority that have gone to LFK were from Carnival cruise. We are on Royal Caribbean and will be docked at Coxen Hole (?). Does anyone know what's the distance and hopefully they pick up at this port as well. We have filled out our request for a reservation today and waiting to hear back.

Thanks

Yes, they pick up from Coxenhole as well. :) It's a little further than traveling from Mahogany Bay. I'm not sure the distance exactly.

Here's a map to show it a little better.

ROATAN%20MAP-L.jpg

For those of you that have been, is there other food options to buy on the island? One daughter is a vegetarian and the other (15 yo) looked at a photo of the lunch and said "I don't think so". We are going and I can certainly bring snacks but it could be a long day if everyone is hungry.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

Thanks Mitsugirly for the map. However, I'm terrible at judging distance. Is the port labeled maya key terminal the same as coxenhole? That's where Royal Caribbean docks. Just looks like a long way...

Yes basically. It's hard to tell since I don't have the map zoomed in but there are 2 yellow pins there (which is why you see "cruise port" and "maya key" in the same area) because they are so close together.

This is us standing on the island at Maya Key and you can see where the ship is docked in front of it. (It was a 5 minute boat ride if that over to the island)

PC190603-L.jpg

A suggestion for groups going to Little French Key - Have 1 or 2 members of the group take a taxi there as soon as they get off the ship. That way they can get to the island before the rush and reserve an area for the group. Wish we would have done that. We ended up waiting quite a while for the transportation from the pier then again at the dock before getting on the ride to the island. We were a party of 6 and by the time we got to the island all the group seating was taken and we could only find 4 seats together. So when it was time to eat, 2 had to sit on the ground. And only a few of the seating areas are covered - and it does get hot sitting out in the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

thx for the tip. will be first time to visit roatan. so, after riding a taxi to the the boat, will the boat leave right away/shortly to LFK, or it will wait till full? also, about how much is the taxi fare from the coxenhole port (i think since i'll be on the RC ship) to the boat? thanks in advance!

thx for the tip. will be first time to visit roatan. so, after riding a taxi to the the boat, will the boat leave right away/shortly to LFK, or it will wait till full? also, about how much is the taxi fare from the coxenhole port (i think since i'll be on the RC ship) to the boat? thanks in advance!

I guess I'm a little confused why someone would split up with their party (especially in Roatan with the recent events and warnings, or for any 3rd world country where there's poverty...not saying crime doesn't happen anywhere but...) and pay extra for a cab to get there.

The price of LFK is not a "cheap" price by any means and especially not cheap for a big group. The price of your ride to Frenchy's is included with your payment. The thought of having to pay even more on top of that to rush over to Frenchys by yourself is just confusing.

I understand you want to get there before others, but why not just have everyone in your party get off the ship as soon as you can and head for the transportation and not split up the group? A taxi or van can only hold so many people to begin with and if you have a large party going, they are going to take you over. We only had 3 people in our party and they had a guy from their place take us over alone in his car and didn't even wait on others to arrive.

Once you get there, they are going to have you pay at the dock at Frenchy's (for everyone) and you will get wrist bands. So if your entire party isn't there, I can see some mass confusion going on.

They are not going to bring the boat/barge over just to take over 1 person who rushed to get there in order to get prime seats. It does cost $$ to run it. So, you will be waiting until others arrive and the boat is full. Those "others" could be your party if they had came with you.

Just know that there's more than one area to sit at. They have a few different beach areas (I believe 3 of them) with seating at all of them. The only issue I see is the lunch issue seating, but you could always grab it and go back to the area you are sitting at. No need to just sit in the lunch area (which is right at the docking/lagoon area). You can also sit up on the 2 story deck where you see people jumping off into the water. There's seating up there as well some don't think about. I also hear they have now built a second 2 story dock as well.

These are just "my" thoughts since I have been there and the way the day went. I just would never pay extra to cab over, by myself, not knowing if you'll still be waiting and be split up from the rest of my family.

You might want to check and see how many ships are in port the day you are there. That can be a factor in going. Also, remember everyone on your ship isn't going to be there and very few have even heard of this place unless they are on this board or now with Carnival, who is offering it as an excursion.

Just some things to think about. :)

I guess I'm a little confused why someone would split up with their party (especially in Roatan with the recent events and warnings, or for any 3rd world country where there's poverty...not saying crime doesn't happen anywhere but...) and pay extra for a cab to get there.

The price of LFK is not a "cheap" price by any means and especially not cheap for a big group. The price of your ride to Frenchy's is included with your payment. The thought of having to pay even more on top of that to rush over to Frenchys by yourself is just confusing.

I understand you want to get there before others, but why not just have everyone in your party get off the ship as soon as you can and head for the transportation and not split up the group? A taxi or van can only hold so many people to begin with and if you have a large party going, they are going to take you over. We only had 3 people in our party and they had a guy from their place take us over alone in his car and didn't even wait on others to arrive.

Once you get there, they are going to have you pay at the dock at Frenchy's (for everyone) and you will get wrist bands. So if your entire party isn't there, I can see some mass confusion going on.

They are not going to bring the boat/barge over just to take over 1 person who rushed to get there in order to get prime seats. It does cost $$ to run it. So, you will be waiting until others arrive and the boat is full. Those "others" could be your party if they had came with you.

Just know that there's more than one area to sit at. They have a few different beach areas (I believe 3 of them) with seating at all of them. The only issue I see is the lunch issue seating, but you could always grab it and go back to the area you are sitting at. No need to just sit in the lunch area (which is right at the docking/lagoon area). You can also sit up on the 2 story deck where you see people jumping off into the water. There's seating up there as well some don't think about. I also hear they have now built a second 2 story dock as well.

These are just "my" thoughts since I have been there and the way the day went. I just would never pay extra to cab over, by myself, not knowing if you'll still be waiting and be split up from the rest of my family.

You might want to check and see how many ships are in port the day you are there. That can be a factor in going. Also, remember everyone on your ship isn't going to be there and very few have even heard of this place unless they are on this board or now with Carnival, who is offering it as an excursion.

Just some things to think about. :)

mitsugirly, greatly appreciate for the suggestions! made sense; will likely stay together. in fact, we expect to be there on 8/13; think 2 ships, RC & Carnival, will be there...found that info on the http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

thanks again. if we decided not to visit LFK, do you have other suggestions/excursions for about $80-100/person?

Edited by dttmcruiser
more question

mitsugirly, greatly appreciate for the suggestions! made sense; will likely stay together. in fact, we expect to be there on 8/13; think 2 ships, RC & Carnival, will be there...found that info on the http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

thanks again. if we decided not to visit LFK, do you have other suggestions/excursions for about $80-100/person?

If you decide not to book LFK, I have a few things that we have done while in Roatan, listed in my signature line. They are full reviews with tons of pictures at each place. I guess it would all depend on what you and your family like to do. We really liked Maya Key as well because of the awesome snorkeling. It was just out of this world and a nice little island with different things to do and see there. We have done the zip lining with Victor Bodden and also been to West Bay (another good place for snorkeling). :) But LFK is just so beautiful. A little slice of heaven on earth beautiful. :D

If you decide not to book LFK, I have a few things that we have done while in Roatan, listed in my signature line. They are full reviews with tons of pictures at each place. I guess it would all depend on what you and your family like to do. We really liked Maya Key as well because of the awesome snorkeling. It was just out of this world and a nice little island with different things to do and see there. We have done the zip lining with Victor Bodden and also been to West Bay (another good place for snorkeling). :) But LFK is just so beautiful. A little slice of heaven on earth beautiful. :D

awesome, thanks. will let u know where we'll visit & our experience there after the trip

Edited by dttmcruiser

For those that have been to LFK...where did you keep your valuables when you were on the snorkeling trip? Because I've never booked outside of the cruise ship, I would think we should bring our passports with instead of leaving them in the safe aboard the ship, in the event we miss the boat and need to get out...suggestions?

I emailed them and they said they do not have lockers but you can "leave your valuables at the bar"...not so sure I'm hip on that idea.