Little French Key?

Messunderstood

Yes, they did have wifi when we were there in October. It was best in the bar area. We just had our phones with us but it was nice to be able to send texts to our kids who were at home.

Awesome. Thank you so much. (Oh, did they charge for it?)

We will be at LFK the week of Thanksgiving. We booked privately so we will be getting lunch and 2 drinks. My question are: what about additional drinks? Do you have a server or have to go to the bar? Approximate prices? Do you pay as you go or do you have a tab. I want to pay cash since they have a 15% charge for credit card usage? Thanks in advance!

The drinks are about $7-8.

They do not skimp on the booze- wow!

Recommend the Monkey La La

There are servers, but we just went up to the bars ourselves.

They do accept cash

We didn't run a tab- so I can't answer that one.

Thank you so much! That answers most of my questions. I doubt I will need much more to drink besides the two that are included. Just want to be prepared!

• 3 weeks later...
Is there really any difference between the $55 package and the $88 package other than food and drinks?

What package have others gotten? Any suggestions?

and to add to this.....

Since I don't drink but like to eat, can I just pay for food and is it off a menu or a set price?

Harriet

Is there really any difference between the $55 package and the $88 package other than food and drinks?

What package have others gotten? Any suggestions?

The difference is the $55 package does not included anything other than the transportation from the port to Frenchy's, over to the island and admission to the island.

The pricing above that includes the above plus 2 drinks and lunch and use of things like the canoes.

and to add to this.....

Since I don't drink but like to eat, can I just pay for food and is it off a menu or a set price?

Harriet

Yes, you can pay for the food yourself. It's a set price for a set plate of food (the same plate that everyone else gets with the higher package). The plate is $22 if you want to buy is separate. (Or at least it was a year ago when we inquired about it).

Mitsugirly, thanks for the reply so quickly.

Can I hijack this thread for a question. In Costa Maya did you book Almaplena through the beach club website? After reading your reviews you seemed to like it best?

Thanks Chris

The difference is the $55 package does not included anything other than the transportation from the port to Frenchy's, over to the island and admission to the island.

The pricing above that includes the above plus 2 drinks and lunch and use of things like the canoes.

Yes, you can pay for the food yourself. It's a set price for a set plate of food (the same plate that everyone else gets with the higher package). The plate is $22 if you want to buy is separate. (Or at least it was a year ago when we inquired about it).

Thanks!

I'll be there in February so am 'sitting on needles' waiting for your port reviews! LOL

Harriet

Mitsugirly, thanks for the reply so quickly.

Can I hijack this thread for a question. In Costa Maya did you book Almaplena through the beach club website? After reading your reviews you seemed to like it best?

Thanks Chris

I booked Almaplena directly with them. They are very nice people.

I liked it best up until my last cruise a few weeks ago and found another super place as well. It's a toss up. I'm working on my review for it today. :) You can't go wrong with either IMO.

Thanks!

I'll be there in February so am 'sitting on needles' waiting for your port reviews! LOL

Harriet

They are coming right up and my report on LFK I will be starting today. :D

You can use your free drinks for water at Little French Key. Seems like a waste but if you don't drink alcohol at least it isn't a complete loss. And I also suggest the monkey lalas or whatever they are. My group went a few years ago and they did allow you to run a tab and pay by credit card. It isn't like you can run away and not pay since you are on a little island.

Oh and IMO there was a lot of food for lunch. If you don't eat much or have kids sharing is an option assuming they allow that.

Also, Almeplana was great too. They had an awesome sand bar a ways out :-)

We played Frisbee??? and had drinks out there. I may be mixing up trips.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Edited by bowbiter

When did they get a sand bar out in the water? Where is it located? Any pictures? I haven't seen or heard of it and was just wondering. It wasn't there when I was there last and I'm interested in knowing more about it.

Okay, am I confused? :confused:

Little French Key is in Roatan, correct?

Almaplana is in Costa Maya, correct?

The reason I ask is because I'm unsure if I wish to go to Almaplana Beach or Maya Chan Beach which are in Costa Maya I thought.

Harriet :confused:

Edited by hpecorari

We were there 2 years ago? Most if us hung out at the sand bar the majority if the day. Maybe waist deep. Fairly far out. Probably further than what you would let your kids wander to on their own. The water didn't really get that deep though. But maybe we were there at the right tide? It did have a sudden drop off at the end. Waist to neck at the back. I'm 5'4"

Yes I'm talking Costa Maya. Last year I went to Maya Chan. It was nice but the beach at Almaplena was better. Faster drinks at Maya Chan. Fresh handmade but slow drinks at Almaplena. More shade at Maya Chan and massages. Less people at Almaplena. Food was good at both. Food was available linger at Maya Chan. Homemade meal feel at Almaplena.

Yes I'm talking Costa Maya. Last year I went to Maya Chan. It was nice but the beach at Almaplena was better. Faster drinks at Maya Chan. Fresh handmade but slow drinks at Almaplena. More shade at Maya Chan and massages. Less people at Almaplena. Food was good at both. Food was available linger at Maya Chan. Homemade meal feel at Almaplena.

Thanks for the comparison!

We're the only ship in on that date in this port which is great! I've been to Maya Chan before but never to Almaplena.

Harriet

I am a beach snob since I grew up in NJ. Almaplena had one of the nicest beaches I have seen in the Western Caribbean. (I prefer Southern Caribbean for beaches.)

But you should look for recent visits since storms can change the beach landscape a lot.

Not an actual bar. Sand bar as in nice flat area w soft sand you can hang out on. You had to go get your own drinks

Ooooohhhh. LOL "Sand" bar. Got it. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL I don't recall anything like that when we were there. The water just gradually declined all the way out to the reef. You could have been during low tide or maybe I wasn't in the same area. Not sure. But, it sounds nice.

Thanks for the comparison!

We're the only ship in on that date in this port which is great! I've been to Maya Chan before but never to Almaplena.

Harriet

You will absolutely LOVE Almaplena. It is beautiful there. Have you read my review and seen the pictures I took when we were there? Gorgeous! I have another gorgeous place that we went to this time too. I'm working on a review.

Ooooohhhh. LOL "Sand" bar. Got it. I don't know what I was thinking. LOL I don't recall anything like that when we were there. The water just gradually declined all the way out to the reef. You could have been during low tide or maybe I wasn't in the same area. Not sure. But, it sounds nice.

"Sand bar" may be a NJ term like "hoagie" (sub/sandwich). But the reef was a pretty good ways out for us so maybe we were closer to high tide. The tide definitely was rising at some point while we were there. And the beach wasn't very "long" as in space between the building and water. But the sand that was there was nice and soft. Easy to walk in once you get over the fact it got hot lol.

You will absolutely LOVE Almaplena. It is beautiful there. Have you read my review and seen the pictures I took when we were there? Gorgeous! I have another gorgeous place that we went to this time too. I'm working on a review.

Yes I read your reviews and saw your photos. I've been to Maya Chan before and loved it there. The one time I was there the water was beautiful and I could even see my feet. But after reading your review and seeing the photos of Almaplena I'm now unsure of where I want to go in February. And NOW....

you're going to review another place! LOL So, after that review....if you were to go back make sure to mention which you'd go back to! LOL

Harriet

With one boat in port, do you think it will be crowded?

That's the one thing I think sucks about cruising , no secluded beaches lol

Thankfully we are the only boat in port the day I will be here :D

I read in the beginning of this thread that the owners were not going to do packages with the ships, skipped to the last few pages and saw that carnival had packages with them? What changed?

Anyway, I HAVE to swim with that cheetah... One thing I need to cross off the good old bucket list :D

Yes I read your reviews and saw your photos. I've been to Maya Chan before and loved it there. The one time I was there the water was beautiful and I could even see my feet. But after reading your review and seeing the photos of Almaplena I'm now unsure of where I want to go in February. And NOW....

you're going to review another place! LOL So, after that review....if you were to go back make sure to mention which you'd go back to! LOL

Harriet

Yep, yet another awesome place to go to. I will give a comparison in my review. :)

With one boat in port, do you think it will be crowded?

That's the one thing I think sucks about cruising , no secluded beaches lol

Thankfully we are the only boat in port the day I will be here :D

I read in the beginning of this thread that the owners were not going to do packages with the ships, skipped to the last few pages and saw that carnival had packages with them? What changed?

Anyway, I HAVE to swim with that cheetah... One thing I need to cross off the good old bucket list :D

Nooooooo! It will not be crowded in port. Especially with only 1 ship.

Ok, I'm here to set the record straight....CARNIVAL DOES NOT GO TO LITTLE FRENCH KEY!!! They do NOT! People are saying they still do, but their contract ended in October just like the owner said. I personally spoke to him and got the details.

I will have the full details during my review, which I'm working on now.