When Referring to HAL?

sail7seas

Is there an age limit to when people stop having fun? :confused:

Is one too old at some point to have fun?

<snip>

Oh yes. If you're 16, that age is somewhere between 27 and 30. :D

<snip>

I call it "HAL," as in "open the pod bay doors, HAL." "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"

It's funnier if your name is ...

Dave

Good one!! I sometimes use that line when I use the 'clicker' to open the garage door. So far, the door has never said, "I'm afraid, I can't do that, Kathy." :)

And, of course, Arthur C. Clarke came up with the name "HAL" by moving each letter in the acronym IBM up one notch in the alphabetical order. And, now that it's in my head, I know that connection is going to dog me for a long long time.

"Permission to come aboard, HAL."

"I'm sorry, Bob, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Actually, Clarke denied that was the source of the computer's name. He said HAL was short for "heuristic algorithmic computer," and if he'd known people would think it was a transposition of IBM he'd have used a different name for the computer.

Oh, I told myself I wasn't going to get in the middle of this, but here I am :)

My .02 is that certain cruise lines have one brand name, followed by "Cruise Line" or "Cruises" ... examples are Princess, Norwegian, Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, Costa, etc. So it's fine to shorten them to just the brand name of one word.

But cruise lines that have TWO-word brand names, such as Royal Caribbean or Holland America should, in my opinion, be called by their full names. No shortening to "Holland" or "Royal" ... any more than people would shorten two-word US states to simply "New" or "York" ... lol.

I will now step off my soapbox.

You said exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I am one of the evil ones - I call the Zuiderdam the Zuidey (or is it Zuidie?) I actually heard it from a crew member and it caught on with me.

Unlike the unfortunates of today, we had a great cruise on her and it is an affectionate term - but no more:eek: and YUP, I use HAL too - so does HAL actually - in the future I will spell it out Holland America Cruise Lines - I just thought we all knew who it was:rolleyes:

TGIF (thank God it's Friday):)

Oh Dear, Now we're both in trouble!..I call Holland American "HAL" on this board & Royal Carribben "Royal Carib" :o

This thread begs the question....

Is it a cabin or a stateroom? lol

OH OH...You're really asking for trouble:eek:..I call it both a stateroom when I'm being formal & a cabin when I'm on this board & being informal..

Now, IMHO we need a lesson in Net Lingo & Acronyms...

EG..BTW I'm LOL & in PCD

It's @TEOTD & I'm AAK so ASAP GGN since I'm ADBB.

HAK, :) Betty

I'm sorry, but Darrin 'Hurricane" Bowland is just plain wrong. The "Mighty E" will ever and always refer ONLY to USS Enterprise; any other reference is sacreligous.:D

I call it "HAL," as in "open the pod bay doors, HAL." "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"

It's funnier if your name is ...

Dave

lol :)

Weren't you, like us, on last year's Dover to New York cruise on the Mighty E? (If not, I'm sure you have been on at least one of the roll calls I was on.)

Sorry, but I think Eurodam is a worthy successor to Enterprise, so I'll continue to apply the name to her!

How do you pronounce Zuiderdam?

I may call it something else if the plumbing problem doesn't get fixed by the time I board next week!

The UI is tricky to pronounce, it's sounds like the OU in "shout" more than anything else but that's not quite it, either.

If you start this link, type in Zuiderdam, klik on Select a voice and choose Dutch (NL) - Max (he is the best, Jasmijn works as well) and then click on "Say it!" you can hear the pronounciation.

http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html

lol :)

Weren't you, like us, on last year's Dover to New York cruise on the Mighty E? (If not, I'm sure you have been on at least one of the roll calls I was on.)

Sorry, but I think Eurodam is a worthy successor to Enterprise, so I'll continue to apply the name to her!

Yes, DW and I were on Eurodam for last year's transatlantic from Dover -- I was the guy who did the live blog of the cruise.

Dave

Yes, DW and I were on Eurodam for last year's transatlantic from Dover -- I was the guy who did the live blog of the cruise.

Dave

Yes, thought it was you! Thanks for the blog.

It was our first cruise with HAL and we enjoyed every minute of it - even the few rough days. We stayed on board for the next cruise, up to Quebec.

Celle

The UI is tricky to pronounce, it's sounds like the OU in "shout" more than anything else but that's not quite it, either.

If you start this link, type in Zuiderdam, klik on Select a voice and choose Dutch (NL) - Max (he is the best, Jasmijn works as well) and then click on "Say it!" you can hear the pronounciation.

http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html

Thanks for the explanation and the link on the pronunciation of Zuiderdam. That site is really cool.

I played the voice sound several times. You are right the UI is tricky.

I like to hear Dutch spoken, but I have a difficult time repeating it.:)

Like others have commented, I would write HAL and say Holland America (sometimes w Line sometimes without).

Here's another one - MrWeezer refers to cities by their airport code (at least in writing). Similarly, I've seen people mention sailings out of FLL or BCN, for example. I trust they know they will not sail from the airport & are simply saving a few keystrokes. ;)

Who really cares.

Our lives are not terribly busy, but they are busy enough that we would never be bothered wasting time on something so trivial.

And yet... here you are! Must have been a slow day. ;)

My inlaws use "Holland American" when they speak of what I call "HAL" in writing and "Holland America" when speaking. "Holland American" just "shivers me timbers"! :D

Thanks for the explanation and the link on the pronunciation of Zuiderdam. That site is really cool.

I played the voice sound several times. You are right the UI is tricky.

That pronunciation doesn't get it. The "ui" is a dipthong but it pronounces it more like two vowels instead of one sound.

It is a difficult one and I think for English speakers it may be easier to get close enough by pronouncing it "zay" as in "say" but with a "z": "Zayderdam". (Puckering your lips as if you wanted to whistle might help!)

At this website, click on the "ui" dipthong for real Dutch pronunciation; http://www.heardutchhere.net/lesson2.html#diphthongs

The Dutch posters may have an opinion on this. :)

That pronunciation doesn't get it. The "ui" is a dipthong but it pronounces it more like two vowels instead of one sound.

It is a difficult one and I think for English speakers it may be easier to get close enough by pronouncing it "zay" as in "say" but with a "z": "Zayderdam". (Puckering your lips as if you wanted to whistle might help!)

At this website, click on the "ui" dipthong for real Dutch pronunciation; http://www.heardutchhere.net/lesson2.html#diphthongs

Oh, my goodness! The things I learn on Cruise Critic. Thanks so much for the link.

I think I need lots of practice. My upcoming cruise is only a 4-day coastal cruise, so maybe by the time I get off the ship I will be able to pronounce Zuiderdam!

And yet... here you are! Must have been a slow day. ;)

My inlaws use "Holland American" when they speak of what I call "HAL" in writing and "Holland America" when speaking. "Holland American" just "shivers me timbers"! :D

UN Oh..I'm really in trouble!..:eek:In my post I referred to it as "Holland American" , instead of "Holland America" ..

Cheers...Betty

nononono Zayderdam sounds funny . please please pretty please don't do that. :D

The closest an American is going to come to pronounce Zuiderdam the way the Dutch do, is Zeyederdam, as in "eye"

Archived