Why are they staying in Kings Wharf for 3 days?

Of course there is more to see and do than the almost three days allows for, but most cruise ports you only have a few hours to try and see and do everything. I am booked on a 7 day Bermuda trip this fall and I'm looking forward to the combination of cruise and pseudo-land vacation. I could never justify the cost of airfare and a hotel to go to Bermuda for a week. I could do two cruises from the NE for less money and get the same time on-island.

• 1 month later...
As everyone else has mentioned, it's very costly to do a land vacation to Bermuda. The proximity from Boston, NYC, NJ to Bermuda just makes sense. It's typical to have a 3 night stay on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda and believe me it's worth it. I've cruised all over the Caribbean and all places tropical and Bermuda is in a category all it's own! The island charm is mesmerizing. There's nothing better than having the time to actually explore the island which can easily be done over 3 days. You can explore the different beautiful beaches all over the island, see the natural parks, visit the Crystal Caves or aquarium, shop in Hamilton, explore St Georges, visit the 2 lighthouses on opposite sides of the island, check out Fort St Catherine, stop for a rum swizzle or dark & stormy, take a sunset cruise, meet up with the fabulous island people or just explore, explore, explore!

There's nothing better than getting the opportunity to truly explore the island and not have to worry about hurrying back to catch the ship! I truly love Bermuda and all it has to offer and I guess I feel it has so much that I'm returning next month for my 5th cruise there. :D.

[quote name='mariah9999']As everyone else has mentioned, it's very costly to do a land vacation to Bermuda.[/QUOTE]

After three cruises to Bermuda we wanted more than three days. We found a web site that lists rentals by Bermuda homeowners. We rented a small condo, with pool privileges, for $120 per night. Not $120 each -- $120 per night total. And no Bermuda taxes or fees.

We flew from DC to Bermuda, rented a scooter, and had seven full days on the island. The condo had a small kitchen and it saved us a lot of money. There was a grocery store close by, we'd typically have coffee and danish for breakfast and eat lunch or dinner out. The other meal we'd prepare at the condo. True, not the same as seven days of meals on a cruise ship, but it was fine. Having seven full days on Bermuda more than made up for eating one meal each day at the condo. The scooter enabled us to go where ever we wanted, when we wanted. It was fantastic.

Bottom line, we spent 15% more than a cruise. Worth every penny to more than double our time on the island.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='bluesea777']King's Wharf???? They (NCL) do not stay at King's Wharf at all! ;)

[SIZE=1]They stay at Heritage Wharf ....[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Same port.

[quote name='Tatka']Same port.[/QUOTE]

No actually one pier is Heritage Wharf and the other is King Wharf..........Kings Wharf came first. If you look at the Port List will will say either Heritage Wharf (NCL) or Kings Wharf (Everyone else)

[quote name='peg013']No actually one pier is Heritage Wharf and the other is King Wharf..........Kings Wharf came first. If you look at the Port List will will say either Heritage Wharf (NCL) or Kings Wharf (Everyone else)[/QUOTE]

If you check NCL's Bermuda itineraries on its web site, they still (and incorrectly) list Kings Wharf as the port, despite the fact that NCL cruises normally dock at Heritage Wharf. This is true whether you click on "Ports and Map" for the itinerary or look at descriptive material on the Bermuda cruises, such as the following: "Take a Bermuda Cruise from New York or Boston and get to know Bermuda with two nights and three days in [B]King's Wharf[/B]."

Really it is the same port, just two adjacent docks at that port...which should actually be listed as Royal Naval Dockyard. It's no different than if a cruise leaves from Manhattan from Pier 88 and another cruise leaves from Pier 90...both are still leaving from the same port and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

[quote name='peg013']No actually one pier is Heritage Wharf and the other is King Wharf..........Kings Wharf came first. If you look at the Port List will will say either Heritage Wharf (NCL) or Kings Wharf (Everyone else)[/QUOTE]

I know. We docked at KW on Princess and Royal and at HW on NCL Dawn for a week. :)

I believe NCL docks at KW when another NCL ship is in port as well:)

[quote name='OttawaJohn']I see the Dawn does a Boston-Kings Wharf run now, and it's the only stop and it's there for three days. Why? Is there really that much to do that you'd want to just stay there for that long? If so, why bother with the cruise, why not just go there directly?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Why did NCL choose that island to stay at, rather then any other?

NOTE: I put this in the NCL section, not the Ports section, because I am more interested in why NCL did this, then talking at length about the port itself.[/QUOTE]

Three days is just right. We have done a couple two days, and it's not enough time.

Three days with two nights is the minimum I will ever consider staying.

And yes, it's worth it. It has now become our primary designation of choice. Can't wait to check out Breakaway itineraries.

[quote name='Cmdr Cody']OP please read information on Bermuda Cruises. Bermuda at least in the past REQUIRED ships to stay for three days on a cruise visit. So all cruise lines were required to have the ship there for that long. I think it is still the rule, but I do know at times it it can be lass.[/quote]

Not true.

RCL does 5 day NYC/NJ-Bermuda all the time and has for years with just a single overnight - we've done it.

Howard

[quote name='MrPete']Three days is just right. We have done a couple two days, and it's not enough time.

Three days with two nights is the minimum I will ever consider staying.

And yes, it's worth it. It has now become our primary designation of choice. Can't wait to check out Breakaway itineraries.[/QUOTE]

Veendam docks there for 4 days. In Hamilton. :)

[quote name='rsinj']Not true.

RCL does 5 day NYC/NJ-Bermuda all the time and has for years with just a single overnight - we've done it.

Howard[/QUOTE]

We were on 2 cruises with day stop.

[quote name='Gngrasso']This itinerary is a perfect compromise for my wife and I. I love to cruise and she loves to hang out at the beach all day, unhurried. And I view it as a poke in the eye to the airlines. After spending almost $1k per person to fly my family to Miami to catch the Pearl I am just ecstatic that Breakaway will be based in NY.[/quote]
Sheeps - did you fly first class ?:eek:

Archived