Amsterdam with granddaughter questions

april47

If I take my 12 year old granddaughter on my cruise I have a few questions. What kind of documentation do I need for an Alaska cruise that begins and ends in Seattle with only one stop in Canada(Victoria)? How would they handle the sail-n-sign card? I would want her to be able to get in and out of the room without me. It would also be nice if she could "buy" things on board without accessing my sail-n-sign/credit card. What other things do I need to be concerned about?

She will have her own room key. That key is also her sign and sail card. You can, if you wish, allow her to purchase stuff with that card.

Do you have full and legal custody of her? If not, you will need fully documented permission from both of her parents to leave the country. You will also need her birth certificate (official, raised seal) to prove US citizenship.

We all loved it, cruised on Volendam out of Vancouver but drove from US.

We had passports for each of the children (minors passports are only good for 5 years). For the passports we applied in person together at their post office in Voise ID, we live in New Mexico but arranged to do this on an earlier visit. The passport app needs their beirth certificate (raised seal) and one of their parents present.

For the trip we downloaded forms for minors to be transported out of the country, filled them out mostly, mailed them to the children's mom who signed them with a notary, and then she transferred them to the children's father (they are divorced) who also signed them with a notary. Essential to have both the parents signatures notarized.

Whenever we had to present passports the authorities were very thorough in examining the documentation for transporting the children out of the country.

If you do adequate advanced research, planning and documention you will have a wonderful trip, if not, you could have a nightmare of a mess.

m--

You might want to get her a non-alcoholic beverage card in her own name so she can get her own soda if she is allowed soda. A lanyard would be good so she can hang her cards around her neck. You can get holes punched in these cards(front office) so they will hang on the lanyard if need be.

I don't know about purchasing other objects in the stores on board, though. Someone else will answer that for you.

I just found this on the HAL website:

Children: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 traveling on a closed-loop cruise (a cruise in the Western Hemisphere which originates and ends in the same U.S. port) will be able to present their government issued birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card to sail. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy or certified original

It seems like a copy of her birth certificate and a notarized letter from my daughter and her husband would be enough.

If I take my 12 year old granddaughter on my cruise I have a few questions. What kind of documentation do I need for an Alaska cruise that begins and ends in Seattle with only one stop in Canada(Victoria)? How would they handle the sail-n-sign card? I would want her to be able to get in and out of the room without me. It would also be nice if she could "buy" things on board without accessing my sail-n-sign/credit card. What other things do I need to be concerned about?

Every passenger is issued a keycard. Security personnel scan the card at the gangway when you leave & again when you come back - that's how they know if everyone is onboard.

It's also the room key. And the card to use for onboard purchases. This is where I'm a bit confused. You want your granddaughter to be able to make purchases onboard, but without accessing your credit card. So what funding would you use for her account? At a minimum, her account will be assessed the Hotel Service Charge of $11.50 or $12 (suite passengers) per person per day.

Please don't quote me, but I think I've read on these boards that adults can put purchasing limits - kids can only purchase up to $xx.xx - on their kids accounts. This prevents the kids from going into the shops & buying a $5,000 necklace. :eek:

Why don't you call HAL at Customer Service 1-877-932-4259 or Ship Services 1-800-541-1576 for clarification & specifics?

She will have her own room key. That key is also her sign and sail card. You can, if you wish, allow her to purchase stuff with that card.

Do you have full and legal custody of her? If not, you will need fully documented permission from both of her parents to leave the country. You will also need her birth certificate (official, raised seal) to prove US citizenship.

You better also have a medical release so that you can authorize any necessary medical treatment without the provider having to contact her parents first. Also be sure to have her medical insurance information as well as a list of any prescriptions meds that she might be taking.

DON

I just found this on the HAL website:

Children: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 traveling on a closed-loop cruise (a cruise in the Western Hemisphere which originates and ends in the same U.S. port) will be able to present their government issued birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card to sail. Birth certificates can be an original, photocopy or certified original

It seems like a copy of her birth certificate and a notarized letter from my daughter and her husband would be enough.

Passports ARE required for the Alaska cruise because visit to CANADA requires it.

Very good advice here. Get a passport for sure. We just renewed our children's passports and paid extra to get them a passport card as well, so they would have another form of photo ID.

Better safe than sorry. We travel a lot internationally and are used to scrutiny of our daughter's passport, as she is adopted from China.

What a wonderful trip for you both! My 12-year-old son loves HAL. We have been fortunate enough to travel the world with my mother, and my children will never forget the amazing experiences they have shared with Grandma. Have a great time!

You better also have a medical release so that you can authorize any necessary medical treatment without the provider having to contact her parents first. Also be sure to have her medical insurance information as well as a list of any prescriptions meds that she might be taking.

DON

Yes, albolutely! we carried not only a letter from the grandchildren's mother allowing us to approve medical treatment but also their medical history and medical requirements (one of the girls has complex food allergies) and doctor's contact information.

I wouldn't dare take someone else's child out of the country without a passport. You could get stranded in Canada due to some unforeseen circumstance and have to fly home. It's a longshot of course but why take the risk. Spend the $100 or whatever it is now and get her a passport. m--

Passports ARE required for the Alaska cruise because visit to CANADA requires it.

Passport is not yet required to cruise to Alaska. Last Sunday birth certificate was still accepted with photo ID to board the Oosterdam. Although it is a requirement to have a passport to fly out of Canada back to the US if you had an emergency.

Yes, you will need a letter of consent from both parents if you are not the legal guardian.

You can deposit cash at the front office for her cruise card if you do not want her access to your credit card.

Archived