Did I make a mistake booking flash sale balcony to Alaska?

ccheng64

I just booked star princess R/T from Seattle to Alaska in early June. I saw balcony price less than $800 and grabbed it without thinking too much. However, later I checked Princess website and realized there are more unsold balcony than inside. I wonder if people get upgrade easily to balcony when they buy inside in the flash sale. It is too late now but I still would like to know for future reference.

My cabin is assigned and it is on the port side. I read one review mentioned that starboard side is better for this itinerary. Can anyone confirm that? The cabin assigned to me is mid ship on Aloha next to the 5 elevators. I thought it is a convenient location. However, I don’t want to miss the good view either. If starboard side is better then I will not hesitate to change cabin.

Thank you.

The views in Alaska are 360 degrees around you and no one side is better for the entire voyage than the other. This from someone who has cruised Alaska five times. Enjoy your balcony but don't camp out there. The best views are top side.

Have a great cruise! :D

Round trip will mean that your port side balcony will be "better" for the Southbound portion of the cruise if one side is truly "better". Also remember that much of several days you will be in port and most likely ashore. On board you will be dining, going to shows, playing blackjack, dancing the night away, etc. The veranda is you own escape place and will be enjoyable no matter which direction you are travelling.

... I wonder if people get upgrade easily to balcony when they buy inside in the flash sale. It is too late now but I still would like to know for future reference...
While this sort of upgrade (two category types)may happen, it is extremely rare and unusual, particularly when booking so late. You did well by booking a balcony.

It's rare for someone who books an inside cabin to get upgrades to a balcony. I think what you booked was smart and at a good price. In Alaska, you'll want to be out and about, not on your balcony.

I think it highly unlikely that if you had booked an inside that you would have been upgraded to a balcony. Of course these things happen, but for Alaska, this would be rare.

I think you did the right thing to book the cabin category that you wanted, and at a great price. We've cruised the beginning of June in Alaska and the weather was beautiful.

Have a great cruise!

As others have said, you did the right thing for your cruise to Alaska. Sounds like a great price on a balcony. You asked for future reference as well. If you are open to taking your chances book an inside but don't expect an upgrade to an oceanview or balcony. They do happen but the percentage per sailing is probably low. I typically book the specific cabin I want and mark my cabin no upgrade. A few times I've done otherwise but it was because of a price I just couldn't resist.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked star princess R/T from Seattle to Alaska in early June. I saw balcony price less than $800 and grabbed it without thinking too much. However, later I checked Princess website and realized there are more unsold balcony than inside. I wonder if people get upgrade easily to balcony when they buy inside in the flash sale. It is too late now but I still would like to know for future reference.

My cabin is assigned and it is on the port side. I read one review mentioned that starboard side is better for this itinerary. Can anyone confirm that? The cabin assigned to me is mid ship on Aloha next to the 5 elevators. I thought it is a convenient location. However, I don’t want to miss the good view either. If starboard side is better then I will not hesitate to change cabin.

Thank you.

Wow, we are on the July 29 sailing and paid almost double for balcony. I am sure you cannot go wrong!!!

I bought a flash fare on a weekend for a cruise that sailed end of the week. UG'd from lowest inside to an obstructed view cabin. We understand that unobstructed views were UG'd to blacony, and obstructed to obstructed, etc. FWIW, there were inside cabins that were assigned and occupied on the lowest decks and top decks (lots of unassigned balconies too).

No guarantees that you would have been one of those upgraded I think you got a great deal. As far as port side that is what we booked on our Alaska cruise last year and if your itinerary goes to glacier bay that in my opinion is the best side to be on. You will not be disappointed

One of the nice things about Alaska cursing is that there is something to see on both sides. A balcony is a must in Alaska. If you are NB then the starboard (right) side is best since you will be facing the mainland side and generally you will have pier side viewing. SB then you want the port (left) side for the same reasons. We have cruised Alaska 5 time (6 coming up in September) and have never had a bad balcony on either side.

You got a great price on the Alaska cruise. We had the port side on our Alaska cruise and the captain was very fair and gave both sides a great view of the glaciers. Have a great cruise and don't worry about the small stuff. Take lots of pictures and enjoy the beautiful scenery. :)

We've had 4 Alaska cruises and love the port balconies, but have never had a bad experience regardless of the side. Congratulations on getting the balcony! Bring gloves and binocs - you'll be surprised how much time you spend there. Some of our best critter sightings were on the balcony while getting ready for dinner.

I think you did very well to reserve the balcony at that price. Wow, I just checked and currently and it is 1200-1600pp for a balcony! Did you see those discounted fares on the Princess website, or through another site, if you don't mind me asking.

I can't wait to get away from land and to the sea, so the port side on the outbound would be great for me. I know there has to be land in view on half the trip:(, but I would prefer it to be delayed until the return route.

I am wondering about the "Flash sale" as I am looking to book the Star for late June. I just signed up for announcements on princess.com, so hopefully I will get any future flash sale alerts. I regret that I missed the one you found. I will continue to watch this thread and board, though, because the best info is here!

Archived