Select Reservations Online or In Person

We have selected "Select" dining for our next cruise because early dining is too early, and late is too late. We probably will want to dine around 7:30 every night.

Should we just talk to the Maitre'de on arrival day, or go ahead and make the reservation for 4 for 7:30 every night?

We only make reservations on line for certain nights, usually the last night and evening before an early port day if we want to get off the ship early. Otherwise we have not have a problem getting a table. We usually like to dine around 8:00. For our upcoming cruise we did make a reservation for NY Eve.

Mary Lou

I just made ours online and did it for about 50% of the nights. Mainly when we weren't in port late or sea days which I figured would be Formal Nights. The rest of the nights we'll wing it but it's nice to know we do have a reservation for part of the time.

We make it for everynight and then merely cancel or make changes as we go. I find you can usually get the same table and wait staff each night which can make for a better dining experience.

We make reservations online but then when we board the first nite I usually ask the hostess for a good table and wait staff...often we add many to our table from the early cc meeting.

Doesn't seem like the reservations we made online are in effect...maybe if we just showed up at that time and didn't say anything?:rolleyes:

The only time we reserve is Formal nights and then don't do it until we board. It suits us because we like to just turn up and take off most nights. Love the freedom to eat when we want to and not because it's "dinner time"

We have selected "Select" dining for our next cruise because early dining is too early, and late is too late. We probably will want to dine around 7:30 every night.

Should we just talk to the Maitre'de on arrival day, or go ahead and make the reservation for 4 for 7:30 every night?

In 28 nights of dining onboard Celebrity ships I have never had to wait more than 90 seconds (and that was only ONCE) to be seated whether it was in the MDR or at a specialty restaurant. Whether we asked for a table for 2, 4, 6, or 8. With a chosen group or a shared open table, at anytime from 545 to 9pm. The experience was not significantly different on 39 nights with NCL. (a few times with a wait of 3-5 minutes) I do have to admit that Carnival pretty much dropped the ball in this area. Let me know if you've ever experienced long waits.

Usually, when we cruise with our kids we request a table for 4. They will be 15 and 16 on this next cruise, and while we are not opposed to dining with others we respect the fact that others may want to have an adult conversation and not have to deal with teens.

We have always adjusted our assigned table so that it is just the 4 of us. Usually people are quite nice to our kids and our kids are well behaved, but we have noticed occasionally at open seating for lunch that some passengers we seemingly uncomfortable with kids. They are a lot older now than when we first started cruising, so who knows if that is better or worse? It is just easier not to put others in a situation where they might feel uncomfortable.

With select we think we have the option or a table for 4 when available or dining with others and possibly seated quicker. So perhaps the best way to handle this would be to make reservations for 4 every night.

Sounds like from the above suggestions that maybe the best way is just take care of it when we board or on a night by night basis.

on our recent TA, we didn't reserve any tables. We just arrived at the desk each night at whatever time we were ready for dinner & asked for a table. Never waited for more than a few minutes & that was only if we requested a certain table.

Archived